Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Re-inventing the wheel.

Started by Rick, January 07, 2013, 11:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Hi, just started getting back into Inquisitor after picking up some of the Tehnolog 54mm plastic figures and have been trying to find a suitable Cyber-mastiff for some Enforcers I'm making up. Long story short, I decided to convert this little fella from Critical Mass games:

Ok, not the most obvious choice - but it works really well. I've cut the legs off the hips, repositioned the torso so it's more 'dog-like' and repositioned the forearms at 90' to the upper arm. Biggest problem I've had is finding a suitable head - the 2 choices I've considered are the old warhound titan head and a space wolves backpack head (from the accessories frame) - neither of which look quite right, so I may have to sculpt one. I'll post some pics of the trial one I've done as soon as I've got some paint on it.

I was also thinking about using this model from Studio Bergstrom as a cyber-eagle/grapple-hawk:

But perhaps replacing the bridge/cockpit with a head from the Space Marine Commander sprue backpack?

Haven't got one of these yet, but could be interesting to sort out.

Kaled

Evening Rick,

Welcome to the Conclave!

I'd be interested to see some pics of your cyber-mastiff conversion - it seems like an interesting idea. With the cyber-eagle idea I'd maybe leave the head and replace the weapon pods with some sort of mechanical feet.

What's the rest of the warband going to be like?

- Dave
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Alyster Wick

I'd agree with Kaled on clipping the weapon pods, they just don't seem to work. I'm going to say that it'd be interesting to see an alternate head on there. If you ever got the Mechanicus terrian set there are some eagle-headed wall gubbins that might scale nicely with those.

Also eagerly awaiting to see what you do with the cyber-mastif. Are you going to make it more doggish or are you just planning to proxy in a small robot?

Rick

I've actually completed the mastiff - but I'm really not happy with the head. I am thinking of buying 1 or 2 more and using the Juggernaught of Khorne head on it - going to wait a little while for those. As to the Grapple Hawk idea, yup - was kinda inspired by the hawk's fighter from Buck Rogers and I've been looking for some 6mm 'chicken-legged' walkers to use. I'll post some pics of the mastiff soon, but a bit distracted by converting some of the Tehnolog plastic figures into a Valhallan squad as well as a power-armoured Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor as well as converting a Zvezda Troll into an Ogryn! After that, got more plans for some of the other Tehnolog figures I picked up.

It's funny really - I picked up the rulebook years ago but it wasn't until seeing these new figures that I got inspired to get back into it!

Rick

Hopefully should get these on here:

Not altogether happy with the size of the Mastiffs head, so I'll redo with some more and post them up. The Valhallan Light Infantry Sgt came out fairly well though:

And here he is again, this time with a WIP - a Necron Mantis.

Still got several WIP's to finish off, hopefully put some more pics up soon!

Alyster Wick

I love what you've done with the cyber-mastiff. I vote that you keep the head as is; the mini has the look of a cyber-rat-thing which is just awesome. It's a creepy little machine and I think it works just fine.

Also, nice job on the other minis, I don't believe I've seen them before. Where'd the bits from the Vallhallen come from? (some are obvious IE the chainblade but others not so much) Also really liking what you've done with the Necron bits. Very nice looking yet threatening maintenance machine.

Rick

Ta for that - I'm leaving the mastiff on one side while I experiment with a different head, so we'll see! As to the Necron - that's pretty much what I wanted, a fairly autonomous maintenance/security creature that could control scarabs but that would be the sum total of the threat, no warping in oodles of warriors, lol!
The Valhallan is my take on a light infantry team sergeant - the body is that of a Tehnolog plastic 'Polar Special Troops' figure - I trimmed the guns and stuff off the original and added a new backpack, some Imperial Guard stuff and he looks ok. I had to cut about 1-2mm off between the foot and the lower leg as the figure was just a bit too tall and the lower leg did look ridiculously long, but overall I like it and I've got the rest of the squad to make up now!

Covenant

I love the doggie, looks ace. The small head makes it unique, maybe that particular pedigree has a tiny head. ;)

The splotch camo looks nice too.

Kaludram

I love the dog!  I would definitely consider this a quality conversion, but different from the stock cyber-mastiff.  Maybe this one is slower but tougher/stronger.  You could even incorporate the smaller head as an intentional compromise to leave more bulk for power servos on the body.
It may have all been a lie, but it keeps the masses quiet.

Gideon

The cyber-mastiff looks ace as is, and the Technolog trooper is just what the doctor ordered for some cheap Imperial Guard.
In nomine Imperator Dei!