Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Gideon Starts Again

Started by Gideon, January 17, 2013, 07:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gideon

Hello all! When Inquisitor first came out, when I was a boy, I went and bought a copy. It came with Covenant and Father Josef (I wanted Eisenhorn and Slick Devlan, but GW Slough didn't have any left), and it wasn't long after that that I added Enforcer Barbaretta. Barbaretta and Covenant got painted up during a family holiday to Paris - I spent much of a week in a fifth floor Parisian apartment listening to French and Arabic voices from the street below while painting - and Josef kind of lingered, unpainted. There was a lull for a few years, and then I found myself at university and Inquisitor came back to the fore. I picked up an Inquisitor model, the Daemonhuntress, one of the Sororitas Repentia figures, and some bitz (back when GW had bitz) and Gideon Syme was born. But it was only the other day, after a failed marriage found me and all my toy soldiers in one place that I finished painting the Daemonhuntress and made the Sororitas conversion I'd been aiming to for years.

So, after that deadly dull preamble, this thread is a combination retrospective and showcase for my collection as it both gets finished, and grows larger. Here goes!

Gideon Syme:

Simply dressed, Inquisitor Syme is painted to resemble a pilgrim: the brown and white are monastic colours, while the red sash provides a splash of colour and suggests some wealth.

Susanna Moritz:

Syme's Interrogator: heavily armed and armoured, wearing reflective carapace armour, Moritz is a distraction to enable Syme to go about his business unhindered. Her tabard reads 'LUX+IMP' (trans: Light of the Emperor' and her power halberd is painted as though it is switched on.

Hanna Laschalle:

Adepta Sororitas Hospitaller medicae, on Syme's staff. Wielding a long-barrelled bolt pistol and a Chinthe PDF officer's sword (Chinthe is a jungle world, and the sword is much like a panga or machete), she carries lots of various medical kits and supplies.

Syme's Warband So Far:

For profiles and background, see this thread here.

Comments and criticism please!
In nomine Imperator Dei!

Radu Lykan

i like that head on moritz, i dont have that model yet but thats a good advert for it.
your model has spawned a crazy idea of the daemon huntress with 2 wrist mounted plasma pistols and big back pack to power them, part of it might be she looks like a new super hero, "iron wo-man"

Gideon

If my green stuff skills were better, I would get another Daemonhuntress and turn her into a proper Sororitas Battle Sister. The helmet head I used on Moritz comes from the Enforcer Barbaretta conversion pack that GW released some years ago - I fear, like Toothpick Murke and Kal Jerico, that it is now OOP.

Hopefully I will be able to do some work on Laschalle and put photos of the rest of my collection up today.
In nomine Imperator Dei!

Koval

The bits to make Lucretia Bravus are still supposedly packed in with Barbaretta.

Alyster Wick

Quote from: Koval on January 17, 2013, 05:52:48 PM
The bits to make Lucretia Bravus are still supposedly packed in with Barbaretta.

The problem with that method is that you then have a Barbaretta model to deal with.  ;)

In all seriousness though, some nice subtle conversions. I've always felt as though with all the millions of planets, sectors, chapters, etc of everything throughout the Imperium there's not a single thing wrong with saying, "This is my battle sister, she may not look like the 40K models but that's just what they look like out in [insert regional name]." Regardless, I like the model. Is that a standard SM hand on her left arm? I'm dealing with that problem currently myself and I really like your solution.

The one critique I'd give is that the helmet looks a little monochrome, perhaps you should switch up the visor?

Okay, two critiques, I lied. The Inquisitor has a great pistol (I've actually been considering that pairing myself, the evisor gun if I'm not mistaken) but it just looks dull in pure silver. I'll go ahead and say that I have the same problem in terms of not being sure how to vary up details on guns without making them look odd, but it's just such a great piece and with the pure silver it doesn't pop like it should.

Regardless, great GS work on the unpainted model. I have no doubt that should you choose to buy another daemon huntress and kept at it you could make yourself a "proper battle sister" soon enough.

Gideon

Moritz's left hand is a 2nd Edition plastic multi-part Space Marine hand (flat, to hold the chunky 2nd Ed bolters). The visor is painted to try and resemble a gold-tinted space helmet visor. It doesn't look particularly interesting sadly but I like the way it makes her look like a faceless gold statue; like an avenging vision of purity and death. Or something.

I appreciate the props but I'm pretty sure my GS skills could do with some more practice before I'd feel confident tackling a Sororitas!  ;D

As for the pistol, I totally agree - the thing is that real handguns look, well, flat black. I might wash his gun with black a few times, dull it down, make it look more lethal. Possibly paint the toxin chamber to look like something reinforced and transparent so he can see at a glance how much he's got left.

Next up - Enforcer Stark and her cyber-mastiff Aleph IX.
In nomine Imperator Dei!

Gideon

Aha! A member of the warband of Ryazan Jall (Amalthean Inquisitor):

Enforcer Elizabet Stark and her Cyber-Mastiff Aleph IX

Minor conversions to Barbaretta: replacement of spiked maul for a cut-down Space Wolf power axe to form a shock maul; removal of shield. I also got rid of all the strangely shaped 'S's on her uniform. They were painted in an apartment in Paris in 2003 or 2004 I think.

I'm pleased with how well they've stood the test of time, although I think I could've made a better fist of her face were I to tackle her nowadays.

Next up - Laschalle (painted), Ryazan Jall, a fat religious nutcase and an Eldar ranger... C&C welcome and encouraged!
In nomine Imperator Dei!

Necris

I really like her, the maul is brilliant and I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen it before, I also love the cola can on the ground makes me think she's laying the beat down on some litter bug which tickles me slightly.
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Gideon

I realised today that I had also rotated Stark's right hand into a more natural running position... minor conversions ahoy!

Speaking of minor conversions:

Inquisitor Ryazan Jall, psyker and Amalathian. Sworn enemy of Inquisitor Gideon Syme, who killed both his mentor and his own interrogator.

A Khornate cultist, with Big Axe (tm) and pistol of some description. Guess what model he was, once! I eventually plan to get him some friends: probably the Chaos Magus and a mutant or two.

As you may be able to tell, these figures are somewhat WIP, let alone PIP... still to come; my Eldar Ranger. A rather lonely figure, who may end up being sold on if truth be told.
In nomine Imperator Dei!

Radu Lykan

i like Ryazan Jall's sword, is it off a dark elf of some description? think i might need it for someone at a later date

Gideon

It's a Dark Elf speartip. I am not quite sure what sort of weapon it is; it looks too fancy to just be a sword, but too obscure to be anything obvious. Possibly some form of ritualised blade from a Death Cult? I'll have to work it into Jall's background. His immediate retinue will consist of Stark and an Arbites Judge (with helmet, because quite frankly one figure with a bionic right eye is enough in any warband), as befits an Amalathian.

Any ideas as to what I can do with an Eldar Ranger? I was thinking of getting and lightly converting Jena Orechiel to go with him, and maybe also the Kroot, to make a radical Xenos Inquisitor.

Whatever happened to the 54mm Genestealer they made, once? Arrrgh, there were so many wonderful models and they're all OOP...
In nomine Imperator Dei!

Gideon

Hanna Laschalle, Sister Hospitaller of the Militant Order Minoris of the Pure Blood, is finished:

She wears a black syn-skin suit with the red armour and white robes of the Order of the Pure Blood, and is a natural blonde.

This means that Syme's immediate warband is complete:

Comments, criticism, and general chatter encouraged, nay, demanded!
In nomine Imperator Dei!