Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Mechanicus Reclaimator: The Chikua Siblings

Started by greenstuff_gav, February 16, 2013, 06:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

so, here's the rules i'm planning with my latest Mechanicus conversions. thought it'd be interesting to play non-combatants / characters without standard interactions with other characters...

The reclaimators known as the "Chikua Siblings" are a mystery; nothing is known of their past, where they trained, if they are siblings or even their species.

A diminutive pair, each standing only waist-high to average humans they are always wrapped in robes and deep hoods.
unusually they speak only in bursts of machine-code, screeching sounds and obscure noises translating into more than simply language, transmitting thoughts feelings and theories amongst the message.

Despite the mystery they are ordained members of the Cult Mechanicus; travel documents confirming their journey on the Path of Knowledge across the Imperium.
The Reclaimators are a mix of enginseer and scavenger; wherever the travel they perform repairs and maintenance and trade salvaged technology for new and interesting artefacts.

The Chikua Siblings are sometimes surrounded by smaller robed figures carrying equipment and spares and often travel with larger machinery.

H'tat

Ws Bs  S   T    I Wp Sg Nv Ld
25  33 28 41 62 75 67 53  51
Armour: Av2 to all locations, Respirator, Photovisor
Equipment: misc. Data-slates
Abilities: Machine Empathy, Machine Code, Linked (Teeka) Bom'loo

Teeka
Ws Bs  S   T    I  Wp Sg Nv Ld
36  31 30 46 61 76 65  54 49
Armour: Av2 to all locations, Respirator, Photovisor
Equipment: Misc. Tools
Abilities: Machine Empathy, Machine Code, Linked (H'tat) Kurruzza

Data-Slates: These contain a link to data-spirit knowledge bases and a variety of cogitators; able to process and sift information at incredible speeds. the character can do a variety of tasks from checking / transmitting data to duplicating data-slates.

Tools: A variety of equipment that range from tools for opening metal panels to adjusting micron-switches.

Machine Code: The character communicates through bursts of machine code. to most beings this is a burst of static and alien sounds, but to those trained or with appropriate enhancements this noise conveys a mass of information.
Each Action spent in communication allows whole statements between characters, but anyone listening without appropriate training will not be able to understand.

Bom'loo (Bargain): The character gains Persuasive and is able to make themselves understood / understand multiple languages through non-vocal communication

Kurruzza (Repair): The character is able to repair broken or damaged machinery. If interacting with characters with mechanical parts, can heal these locations as per the Medic skill

Linked: This character can spend an action to become aware of what the Linked character is aware with. he is also able to transmit what he is aware of and can interact with the linked character regardless of distance between them.
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Alyster Wick

I like them as they are quite nicely. What warband do you plan to put them with? As interesting as it could be to have them on their own it seems like their, um, "speech impediment" could be somewhat limiting depending on who they're facing down. How does Bom'loo work exactly? Is he speaking proper Gothic or is it some advanced form of static noise/gesturing which is easily understood (and almost the more persuasive by keeping the other party on their toes)? Would also be interesting to see what types of companions they have if they are the acting leaders of the group.

Their tech is incredibly characterful if not limited in terms of offensive capability. This is refreshing though as I could see any number of scenarios in which their skills could have significant impact on a game (you just need a GM with a quick wit).

Lastly, with Machine Empathy there has been lots of discussion over time about how it isn't nearly as useful for an AdMech character as it sounds. Are you using it as a "skill" rather than a psychic power? Are there any differences between Machine Empathy as written and how you envision it? On the other hand I could see stock ME being useful for scavengers like this as they can easily disable hostile mechanical entities and then take them in peacefully to be combed over, disassembled and reconfigured. Anyway, went off on a tangent there, how do you see it being used in-game?

Anyway, great translation of the Jawas. I feel like you successfully ported the interesting elements of the characters/species while keeping them uniquely 40K. Very well done!

greenstuff_gav

i'd planned on running them on their own (maybe with one or two watcher in the dark conversions; they're smaller and can carry stuff) also they've got a big walker to ride in;

but that's work in progress; need to see if i can find any vehicle rules i like...

basically, they can interact with Adeptus Mechanicus without too much trouble, but less easily with other characters.
Bom'loo is more gestures and pointing; the only real interaction i see them having is bartering... if people are arguing with them they're less likely to interact and more likely to hide :)

having played a variety of ass-kicking characters, thought non-combatants maybe interesting to play in a 'clave meetup :)

i'm seeing it more of a tinkering; i plan on only using it in base contact... from overloading weapons, fixing stuff to shutting down stuff to break it apart...

thanks, i really enjoyed painting 'em and writing the characters.. something i usually see as a chore!

Build Your Imagination

Alyster Wick

I feel like the conclave has been abnormally quiet recently and I really like this thread so I'm going to reply again [/unnecessary narration]

It's awesome that you're running these guys alone. Really pushing the boundaries of what a warband can look like (in my opinion/experience at least). That crazy walker looks awesome as well, really interested to see how it operates. And on that note...

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on February 19, 2013, 08:21:59 PM
also they've got a big walker to ride in;

but that's work in progress; need to see if i can find any vehicle rules i like...

Since it seems you're looking for inspiration/suggestions here I'll throw in my 2 cents/get the discussion going. Some of the mechanics I've seen for vehicles (back in the early days of Exterminatus if I recall) have struck me as cumbersome, a hassle and generally not meshing well with the spirit of the game. Here are my thoughts:

The machine runs on something of intuitive thought-engine (not approaching AI but able to "think" its way through more complicated maneuvers). A character may operate it through a combination of speaking Machine Code and physically accessing the control panel. If operated in this way the machine will function at the same speed as the operating character (this turn it is the only thing the character can do).

The machine can also receive spoken orders through Machine Code but then acts at Spd 2, WS 30 (other stats may apply depending on what other gear you give it). Only one action is necessary to give it fairly complex orders since Machine Code contains incredibly amounts of info (GM discretion on what orders it can receive, though these should generally be moving/stomping related). Characters without the Machine Code ability may only ever get it to operate at Sp2.

It can move at three speeds: 5, 10 or 15 feet per action. It can only accelerate one level between actions safely (from a dead stop to 5, from 5 to 10, 10 to 15, 15 to 10, 10 to 5, etc). If the machine has riders on it and accelerates quicker than this the riders must pass an Initiative test minus the distance moved or be thrown from the machine.

This is really rudimentary stuff but I had some ideas so I thought I'd share. Hope it's helpful!

greenstuff_gav

cheers Alyster :)
i too have noticed The Quiet.. i assumed everyone's prepping for the GT :)

i like your rules and so i've pushed 'em a bit further;

Umkau (oom-ka-oo)
The Chikua siblings have often been spotted in a large insectoid machine, metal frame carrying a variety of scrap and spares as well as providing speedy transport across a plethora of hostile environments.

Housing a powerful fusion engine, its controls a mixture of physical controls and machine-spirit bonding.

Any character stood on the control platform and capable of transmitting and understanding Mechanicus control code (e.g. Machine Empathy with a SG test, Machine Code) may connect to and control the walker.
While operating the walker, a character may only take the following actions:
Move, Full Stop, Step Pause for Breath

Move:
The Walker has five speeds: Reverse, Stop, Slow Speed, Combat Speed, Fast. It may increase or decrease its Speed by one level per turn (declared at any point in it's activation).
Each Action has a variable movement rate:
Reverse: 3"
Slow: 4"
Combat: 6"
Fast: 8"

The walker may traverse any object up to 3" without penalty or any object up to 5" when moving at Slow.

Full Stop
The Walker immediately halts in place; any occupants must take an I test or fall stunned.
The walker must sacrifice it's next action as it's internal systems deal with the drop in momentum.
may only take Full Stop if it has been moving (if it gets hit twice in one turn, each causing Full Stop, you only test once)

Step
The walker takes a single step; may move upto 3" in any direction. If it comes into contact with anything, that object takes a D10+8 damage hit. Characters may take an I test to dodge and are moved to accommodate the walker.

If there is no character operating the walker, it operates at Speed 2 and maybe ordered by any character with Machine Code within 8", the character sacrificing one action to give the walker two actions.
If no character orders it, it will Move to within 4" of the closest model with Machine Code.

Taking Damage.
The walker uses a different hit Location Table (roll D6). Each Location has 3 Light injury levels.

6: Crew: resolve the hit against the occupants, hitting whoever is closest. Resolve the hit normally. If firing from behind, the shot has no effect due to the large collection of scrap in the back.

5: Chassis: AV8, Use Chest Damage Table. A Prone result causes a Full Stop Action.

1-4: Leg: AV 10, After 3 Injury Levels, the leg is disabled.
Compare # of legs remaining to the Leg Injury Table:
6 / 5 Legs: Light
4 / 3 Legs: Serious
2 Legs: Acute. Ignore Bleeding.
1 / 0 Leg: Walker falls to the floor and takes no further part in the game.

If an action causes Pinning / Stunned, take a Full Stop action.
Bleeding has no effect on the walker.

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on February 24, 2013, 06:18:40 PMThe walker uses a different hit Location Table (roll D6).
I'm not too keen on a D6 location table. It doesn't mesh with placed shots - and it is reasonable to assume that characters would have a better chance of calling shots to different parts of what's a much bigger target than normal. (In fact, the Exterminatus vehicle rules gave a default +/- 20 to hit location, even before placed shots).

For the sake of compatibility, I'd probably keep a D100 table.

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on February 19, 2013, 08:21:59 PMneed to see if i can find any vehicle rules i like...
The game is struggling a bit for a really universal set of vehicle rules.

I have some ideas myself, but I suspect it'd turn into a case of this:

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 24, 2013, 08:50:10 PM
The game is struggling a bit for a really universal set of vehicle rules.

any ideas? i likes KISS, hence trying it as a large character :)

so for Hit Location:

96-00 Crew
76-95 Chassis
01-75 Legs

?

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

If that comes with the aforementioned default +/- 20 modifier, it would seem fair enough - but if not, having the crew as a 5% hit chance on such an incredibly open vehicle would seem too low*.

*I can imagine it might be difficult to call that shot if it's lurching around, but having them harder to hit than a dodging Harlequin (even while the walker is stationary) would be a bit silly.

Quoteany ideas?
Plenty.

I think what a lot of people dislike about the Exterminatus rules is that the vehicles are actually pathetically flimsy. The damage rules mean even a stubber has a reasonable chance of setting the engine of a ground car (and everyone inside the vehicle) alight with a single shot.
So, a reworking of the damage rules is probably where to start.

After that, I'd say I probably wanted to try for a set of movement rules that actually dealt with manoeuvring.
One possibility is breaking movement down into two categories - slow speed movement (declared on an action by action basis) and high speed movement (where the vehicle has to accelerate/decelerate and movement becomes an automatic combined action).

Beyond standardising a couple of other basics like ramming, I figure the GM can probably be creative enough to handle things like jumping on/off/between vehicles, close combat from vehicles, etc, on the fly.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles