Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Can a spacemarine get out of his power armour?

Started by Seargent Maxwell Forest, February 27, 2013, 04:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seargent Maxwell Forest

Just a quick question can a spacemarine get out of his armour? :-\
This question has divided my household ever since we started to read 40k novels.
"What happens to the Imperium should it realy achieve peace?"

Koval

Yes. There are depictions of un-armoured Space Marines in quite a lot of art and novels -- for example, Bloodquest (where we see Leonatos and Cloten more or less naked at different points in the story), the Ultramarines series (where Ventris has been out of his armour a few times), Dark Disciple (in which Marduk gets taken out of his armour and chained up by a Haemonculus), the Night Lords series (in which First Claw need to have their armour repaired on at least one occasion -- Septimus even goes into how long it'll take him at one point in Blood Reaver); the list goes on.

As a corollary, some Chaos Marines are explicitly described as never being able to remove their armour, and they wouldn't specify that if Astartes power armour couldn't normally be removed.

Darthvegeta800

Agreed with Koval. Plenty of Novels (Horus Heresy, Ultramarines, Storm of Iron, the Night Lords novels etc) depict Marines as able to remove their armor.
Heck some Fallen (Dark Angel renegades basically) don't wear PA anymore but other stuff.

Koval

It also begs the question of how they'd ever be able to replace their power armour with artificer or Terminator armour, if they were unable to remove it!

Easy E

They can get out of their Power Armor. 

However, it isn't exactly clear what the Black Carapace is, or if it is possible that they always have "armor" plates subdermally "on" under there skin.  I'm not a fan of this interpreation, but there you go. 

The Deathwatch rulebook has some more details on this, I believe.  If you want to go even more old school, the old GW Rules Compendium for RT (Red Cover with Ultramarines on it) has a lot of information about the marines implants including the Black Carapace. 
^Cheapskate^

Gilleon

The Black Carapace (along with the other implants) were described in the first Index Astartes article. It was described as looking like a film of black plastic, which was planted directly beneath the skin of the Marine's torso. The Carapace would then harden and be fitted with neural sensors and transfusion points, allowing the Marine to directly interface with his armour.

As such the Black Carapace could never be removed, being a part of the Marine them self, but it would have no affect apart from when the Marine needs to wear and make use of his armour. So no, they don't have sub-dermal implanted armour plates.

Incidentally I have been writing some short stories about a group of Marines who seldom use Power armour except for special circumstances, and usually wear Astartes Scout Carapace armour, but that is just by the by.

Seargent Maxwell Forest

Quote from: Easy E on March 01, 2013, 03:20:29 PM
  However, it isn't exactly clear what the Black Carapace is, or if it is possible that they always have "armor" plates subdermally "on" under there skin.  I'm not a fan of this interpreation, but there you go. 

This is why I didn't Know because of the black carapace and how the armour connects up to the body of the space marine I didn't Know if he could take it off.
"What happens to the Imperium should it realy achieve peace?"