Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Van Helser's Retrospective

Started by Van Helser, August 02, 2009, 11:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

Good to see The Conclave back up and running.  Thought I'd add some colour to it with a selection of my past work.  Later on today I'll share some WIPs as well.

Can only really begin with Mikael Van Helser, my first ever Inquisitor figure:

My more regular tabletop inquisitor, Tomashek Goddard comes in two varieties:

Goddard is ably assisted by a large retinue of followers, including the stars of last year's Grand Tournament (psyche!), archeotech prospector David Burrell, gunslinger Hector Ganz and the sage Pret Hirschfield:

And finally, two of the inquisitors from the Istvaanian Sourcebook, Jan Kierys and Cillian Lyko Losporin:

Just realised these pictures cover 8 years of modelling 54mm figures - I'm getting old!

Ruaridh

RobSkib

I love them all, but I have to say my favourites are Hector (or should I say Jack Carver?) with his wonderfully snazzy t-shirt and the sage - I can't believe I'd never thought of sculpting crossed arms before, genius!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Van Helser

Well, until now I didn't know who Jack Carver was - never played FarCry - but it's obvious that hard bastards wear Hawaiian shirts the galaxy over to emphasise their manliness!

Hadriel Caine

You know Van, I don't think I have ever seen the pic of your first mini before. He is nice for a first 54mm, much nicer than mine was... lol.

As ever I'm a huge fan of Prett.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Van Helser

Van Helser doesn't get out much.

Daemon weapon and shuriken catapult seemed cool when I was 16...  Not so much now!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Van Helser on August 02, 2009, 01:16:09 PMWell, until now I didn't know who Jack Carver was - never played FarCry...
I get quite a lot of that, people suggesting that I used something as inspiration, and it's something I've only heard of in the most passing of circumstances. Very odd.
Doubly so when instead of it just being off the top of my head, I used something else entirely as inspiration.

I have to say though, I find Hector's model particularly appealing. They're all great work, but for some reason that's the one that catches my eye the most.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

kierkegaard

Van Helser wins huge respect for having the only 40k model I have ever seen wearing a Hawaiian shirt (the rest are pretty damn cool too, but that shirt...)

Kaled

Quote from: kierkegaard on August 05, 2009, 11:43:34 PM
(the rest are pretty damn cool too, but that shirt...)
And the head on that model is just fantastic too.  Burrell is still my favourite though.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

kierkegaard

I am quite fond of Van Helser's Burrel model too (and jealous, as I have never seen one for sale anywhere.)

Van Helser

I am quite happily under the impression that Burrell is close to being unique.  I know of no one else online or in real life who got hold of the Messenger Boy from the second Citizens pack.  Thank goodness for a sharp eye on eBay the day the lot he came in turned up!

Kaled

Yeah, you're a very lucky man - the messenger boy & ratcatcher should have been two fantastic additions to the Inquisitor range, such a shame they were never properly released. :(

The same goes for the gimp warrior...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Macabre

Is it me, or does the second version of Goddard look vaguely like Peter Falk?
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

psycho

hi there
wheres the hula shirted hard nut from?
loving the mini?
kerby

TheNephew

Losporin's kit is all really nicely done - I do like the chains and the gun-strap.
He looks suitably cluttered with devotional literature, and the Judge head always adds an air of dignity and authority to a model.

As everyone's already said, M. Bison is an inspired pose sculpt as well.

Van Helser

Quote from: psycho on August 29, 2009, 09:56:39 PM
hi there
wheres the hula shirted hard nut from?
loving the mini?
kerby

Ganz is Slick's legs, Stone's torso with a greenstuffed shirt and Von Castellan's holsters, with 40k ork arms and Stone's head with the metal clasps filed off.

Quote from: TheNephew on August 29, 2009, 11:48:55 PM
Losporin's kit is all really nicely done - I do like the chains and the gun-strap.
He looks suitably cluttered with devotional literature, and the Judge head always adds an air of dignity and authority to a model.

As everyone's already said, M. Bison is an inspired pose sculpt as well.

Losporin hasn't actually had that much work done to him - the base model is Luriel Sacred Fist by Andrea, and he was liberally covered in parchment before I got my hands on him. 

Oh and his head is Tyrus's, not the judge!