Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Music for games!!

Started by Ventriss, September 23, 2009, 04:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ventriss

Hello all,

This was quite a large topic on the old clave. Would like to start it again.

Any thoughts?
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche

Hadriel Caine

Opeth. (Damnation and Deliverence)

Dragonforce. (Sonic Firestorm and Valley of the Damned)

Edguy.(Mandrake)

Ride of the Valkyries etc.
To be honest classical music and prog rock is generally very atmospheric. Add some power metal for the gun fights, although it does become less easy to concentrate.

Adam
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Gestalt

Carl Orff, Richard Wagner any of the "heavy" classical scores and obviously Holst's Mars Bringer of War.
"All things have sprung from nothing and are borne forward to infinity."
                                   Blaise Pascal

Tullio

Nooo, not Mars! Not after hearing it over and over and over again at Games Day!

To be more constructive, game music oddly works well as background music. It's designed with ambience in mind so it works nicely played over a little roleplaying section.

Unless it's the Mushroom Kingdom, of course

Tullio

psycho

InFlames - Come Clarity Album
Nickleback - The Long Road Album
and strangely enough 50 Cent - Amusement Park went really well when my Inq was in a bar trying to seduce the Barmaid (who was actually a Death Cultist, lol my GM was pissed when he wrote that)

kerby

Ventriss

hahaha very amusing! Can just imagine it now. Might have been funny if it was candy shop LOL.

Yeah was going to say alot of people prefer the classical stuff.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche

viper_eX

Judas Priest - Nostradamus

and as soon as the final confrontation of the archenemies approaches:
Heaven shall burn - Awoken&Endzeit
++FLESH IS WEAK++

Robert_the_damned

;D Bolt Thrower of course! can't get more appropriate than 40K themed Death metal.

I normally just play whatever music I'm into at the time really.

Ynek

There are a lot of pieces of music that I use, which I would highly recommend.

End of Days-Main theme, by John Debney - Link: ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhEFKrgBVc&feature=related )

Evil Nocturne, by Intero - Link: ( http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/90297 )

That's just a few pieces that I use, but that newgrounds website has a truly massive collection of free-to-download music which you can use for whatever you like.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

psycho

My cousin played Eminem - Puke during a bar brawl lol. it went pretty well, although my character ended up getting shot 6 times in the stomach and ended up with his intestines around his feet

not puking exactly but close enough

kerby

Hadriel Caine

don't talk to me about puking and intestines... I had to eat my intestines in a play once. I don't like sweet food and they were constructed using rice pudding, food colouring, cake, fake blood and jelly all wrapped up in intestinal shapes using condoms...

Try eating that maniacally for 10 mins whilst talking without throwing up and you'll understand the mindset that came up with my torture scenario that members of the old clave may remember I subjected Machelor to last year...

Any one else got any weird influences (musical or otherwise) for WRITING scenarios, not jsut playing.

cheers

Adam
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: Adam Cunis on September 25, 2009, 12:24:36 AMthat members of the old clave may remember I subjected Machelor to last year...

off-hand, can't say I do...

QuoteAny one else got any weird influences (musical or otherwise) for WRITING scenarios, not just playing.

I reckon it's generally a good rule of thumb to have at least one piece of highly interactive terrain (e.g. a pile of oil drums full of promethium, a large central staircase), the type of thing that will generate those moments of movie-cool, without overpowering your scenario - unless of course you want said item to be a key part (e.g. 1 side racing to climb the ladder to the top of the watchtower to sound the alarm, while the other side races to stop them).

I'm also an advocate of GMs doing evil and unpredictable things. (e.g. "oh dear, that rickety bridge doesn't look like it's strong enough to hold four people jumping around hitting each other on it...")

On topic though, I can't say I'm fussed by music, 30% of my inquisitor games have been at Warhammer World, where there isn't any. With nearly all the rest being at GW Glasgow, where the playlist is, like all GWs, always eclectic and something you block out.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

As game soundtracks have been mentioned, I'll add film soundtracks to the list as well.
Personally, I keep the soundtrack from "The Rock" around, because the "against the odds action in cramped spaces" works well for Inq. I've got things from a generous number of other films too of course.

I've also got the instrumental tracks from the 2nd CD of the special edition of Nightwish's Dark Passion Play album (I tend to prefer to use instrumentals for background music) - seriously, Poet and the Pendulum over an "end of the world" type scenario... pure perfection.

At this point, I'll suggest people check out "Freeplay music", a site that does a lot of music which is pretty good for backing. I'll recommend "Minister of Pain" from the off, although it is somewhat short.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Dust King

Quote from: Adam Cunis on September 25, 2009, 12:24:36 AM

Any one else got any weird influences (musical or otherwise) for WRITING scenarios, not jsut playing.

Well not scenarios but most of my characters are semi based on music, I find a song helps give a idea of the character and personality behind your characters.

For example my main inquisitor fits with Bob Dylan's "Hard Rains A-Gonna Fall", a rogue trader with Jimmy Web's "Highwayman", and a couple of characteres with Greg Johnson songs ("Liberty" and "Beautiful Storm")

Shard

I generally have Classic FM on, but that's just me. Anything else is a mix of film soundtracks, System of a Down and Muse.