Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Abilities

Started by Hiver20, April 25, 2013, 11:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiver20

Hi there,

What ability would be good for a character that is very level headed and that would take a very cautious approach to dealing with and situation as I can't think of anything particular which would prevail this, so help would be very welcome.

Hiver20
What's this thing you call a Sky? I've never seen the Sky before. So this is the Sky? Where's the ceiling then?

MarcoSkoll

It's worth saying that characters or character traits do not necessarily have to have abilities - many things are best represented in the roleplay, not the rules.

That's not to say that other elements of the character shouldn't perhaps have rules representation (for example, were we talking about a level headed tech-priest, they should likely still have some rules for mechanical aptitude), but I don't think that particular element of the character really needs abilities. (And certainly none of the common abilities I can think of).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Hiver20

My character that is level headed is a sage type Inquisitior that of the istvaanian faction who is more worldly wise than his Warband so he normally lets his team do most of the fighting while he does more of the paper work side of things though he has combat experience its just he`s more use to the theory side of thing now.

So for some abilities for him to use I thought about Rock Steady Aim and Sure Strike, as his combat experience that he has, then I was trying to think of something to use as his ability to kinda stay calm on the battlefield while, but if there isn't need for a ability then I'll just have to roleplay it.

Hiver20
What's this thing you call a Sky? I've never seen the Sky before. So this is the Sky? Where's the ceiling then?

Koval

I have characters that don't even have abilities. You could just represent a cool head with a high Nv, say in the 70s or even 80s.

Sure Strike is really for good fighters that happen to be good enough that they know how to wait for an opening, and Rock Steady Aim is pretty much the shooty version of that (represented slightly differently). So this particular character would need to actually be a good combatant, not just an intellectual one.

Talking about "battlefields" is also a bit misleading, as that's not where Inquisitor takes place. :P

I would expand a bit more but my internet connection is off more than it's on, so I just have to hope for little pockets of stability where I can actually do things.

Hiver20

That a good idea, thanks for the suggestion.

His WS and BS would be around mid 50`s as he would of got down to doing more research than combat training as I've made him to be about 250 years old and he surrounds himself with people that are good in their respective fields so he doesn't really have to do much but sometimes he has do things himself as he doesn't want the others to mess up his chances of succeeding in his quest for the perfect way to make the Imperium stronger through war or conflict.

Hiver20

Koval

Oh, an Istvaanian.

The stats you propose aren't exactly what I'd imagined when you'd said "sage" -- "mid 50s" for WS and BS are on a par with a trained soldier, though if he's well into his third century, you'd imagine he's a bit better than Billy the Guardsman. At the same time, there's no point in lowering them, as he'd make for a really bad Istvaanian if he didn't know how to handle himself in a fight (despite the strength-through-adversity philosophy he's advocating).

I might just push one (not both) over into the low 60s. Give him a mediocre Strength and a middling Toughness (maybe even chuck in a mid-to-high 40 for one of these?) if you want to favour his intellectual side over combat skills. Abilities then just depend on whether he's any good at leading other people, and if so, what kind of a leader he is.

Hiver20

I shall do that as it much more plausible that he would be better than a normal Guardsman.

I would have to say that my Inquisitior would trust his Warband enough to just let them go about their tasks which would best convey the Istvaanian ideals, but then if he deems that the task he`s asked of them would need a more delicate approach then he would join them to in a way lead from the front so speak while still placing enough confidence in their abilities to get the job done.

Hopefully this little blurb, will help with trying to figure out how I could play him or even  what sort of leader like abilities he could have but I think I most likely to just roleplay it and see what I should do.

Hiver20