Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Goldeneye's new modelling thread

Started by Inquisitor Goldeneye, April 26, 2013, 08:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Goldeneye

Seeing as how it's been almost a full year since I last updated my previous P.&M. thread (and also since a re-arrangement of my 'Photobucket' gallery means that most of the pictures no longer work), I thought I'd start a new one, so here it goes:

First is a W.I.P. which I've only just got around to really starting properly; the cyborg hit-man known only as 'Tin-man':

Here he is before modification:-

From the back

As you can see, he's nothing terribly smashing and , quite frankly, a bit of a bodged job.

Here he now:-

His legs.
His torso (from the front).
His torso (from the back).
His torso posed on his legs.

Obviously, he is still very much a work in progress, but with some more milliput and a decent paint-job, I'm hoping he'll be ready to bring his terrifying firepower to bear on the gaming table by the end of next week.

The other thing I wanted to show here is a miniature to which I reffered in passing at the beginning of my previous modelling tread when I said I was going to do a three man Adeptus Mechanicus warband based around 'B-Movie' style sci-fi monsters.

Behold the stinging, sub-aquatic horror from the depths:-

The SCHYPHOZOAN!!!! (formerly known as 'the jellyfish man'):-

From the left.
From the right.
From the back.
A close-up of his cute little face

As I mentioned the first time, this abomination was inspired by a review of a ridiculous 60s sci-fi horror film called 'Sting of Death' on the website 'And You Call Yourself a Scientist!'

At first the Schyphozoan (named after 'Schyphozoa', a type of jellyfish which my exhaustive 5 minuets of research told me are often referred to as 'true jellyfish') only had five feeder tentacles, but that made him look a little too much like Dr. Zoidberg from Futurama (or possibly Li'l Cthulu), so I added some more untill it looked about right.

The internal organs you can just about see inside him are made from Milliput, the parts for the belt and gun are from my bits-box, all the rest of it is P.V.A. glue. I did not know the meaning of the word 'painstaking' untill I made a model from glue, one blob at a time!

Anyway, another member of my B-movie warband should be ready in a day or two, so watch this space and watch the skys!!
'A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent.' -  William Wordsworth.

Inquisitor Dionzi

What material did you use to form the Schyphozoan? It looks like hot glue...
SKYFALL MINIATURES

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Inquisitor Goldeneye on April 26, 2013, 08:19:09 PM
all the rest of it is P.V.A. glue.
I made a model from glue, one blob at a time!

i do so love this idea :D i wanna Zoidberg!

with clear resin being not-that-much-more-expensive than normal resin i think a stealthy character maybe a future project!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Inquisitor Goldeneye

Glad my things have been well received!

@Dionzi; The scyphozoan is made from plain old P.V.A. (with some Milliput Internal organs).

Right, I've finally, finally finished Magos Zorn himself, as well as the other member of my Ad'-Mech' warband, so without further adoo, some photographs:-

First, fail to feast your eyes on the giant, savage, completely invisible monster otherwise known as;

the INVISIBEAST!!!!

From the left.
From the right.
From the back.
A top-down view.

When I realised that the Schyphozoan covered both of the old 50s B-Movie tropes of 'half-human, half-animal monster', and 'sea monster', and Magos Zorn filled the roles of 'mad robot' and 'mad scientist' I was a little stuck for a third member, as the other most common monsters of 50s cinema were 'alien creature' and 'enbigulated version of a normal animal', both of which are ten-a-penny in the world of 40K. Then I was watching re-runs of old 'Red Dwarf' episodes one evening and I saw the mock film clip to which I linked at the end of my previous post and inspiration struck!

Obviously, there were certain challenges involved in sculpting a model of an invisible character, and I did briefly toy with the idea of just having some foot-prints on a base (or even just an empty base!) but that seemed like a bit of a cop-out. Eventually I decided to have it grasping ropes of viscera from some unfortunate victim with its claws covered in blood, which would also provide some medium in which foot-prints (or hoof-prints, in this case) could exist.

Now, on to the man holding the leashes of these abominations; Magos Zorn, formerly of the Adeptus Biologicus and fugitive heretek:-

ATTACK OF THE MAD SCIENTIST FROM OUTER-SPACE!!!!

Left.
Right.
Back.

By far the most time-consuming part of building Zorn was the dome over his skull. Its all varnish; layer after layer after layer after layer of varnish. I whiled away many an hour twirling that skull around on the end of a long piece of wire to make sure that the latest layer set in the proper shape.

However, the fun doesn't end there folks! Magos Zorn has a little trick up his Mechadendrite if his body is damaged beyond usefulness; his cranial assembly (including a miniature life-support unit, six locamotor appendages and a small manipulator Mechadendrite) can eject and go scurrying off on its own, Pretorius style! Behold:-

Left.
Right.
Back.

Well, that's just about it from me for now, as always comments and criticism are welcome and hopefully I'll have some more stuff to post before to long.
'A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent.' -  William Wordsworth.

MarcoSkoll

Bloomin' 'eck.

I can't really say much that isn't "Jebus, how long did THAT take" as regards your layer-by-layer creation of models, and compliment you on the brilliant method by which you've managed to represent an invisible character.

It's definitely more impressive than just putting a blank base on the table and a bit less fourth-wall than clear resin might be (with the bonus that the exact "appearance" is left totally in doubt to the viewer).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Covenant

Zorn is spectacular, the varnish preserving jar effect is perfect.

I love the retro look.  He reminds me of an old game, Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters.

His little spider body is cute.

Radu Lykan

the invisibeast is a great concept and well carried out, the ejector-head is nice but layers of varnish? are you insane? :)

Heroka Vendile

Christ you're dedicated! the new invisible creature is an excellent effect.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Saussure

For all of the wonderful modelling efforts that have graced the 'Clave over the years, it's not normal for me to see something that I genuinely can't remember having seen being tried anywhere else at all, but you've managed it twice in the space of a few posts - crackers, but excellent, stuff!

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

Inquisitor Goldeneye

Quote from: Radu Lykan on May 03, 2013, 01:31:29 PM
are you insane? :)

No, and the invisible rocket-pope who keeps stealing my thoughts agrees with me on that.

Seriously though, I'm thrilled that everyone has been so complimentary my miniatures, but I certainly won't be doing anything like Magos Zorn's dome again! (Well over a month of afternoons spent sitting, watching repeats of 'Time-Team' while I twirled a little metal skull around on a bit of wire!)

Now that my Adeptus Mechanicus war band is complete, I have moved on to a few other little bits and bobs which have needed doing for a while now, and I thought I'd share the results:

First, I made a slight modification to Magos Blitzkrieg, who I mentioned way back in my first ever post on this august portal (sadly now defunct due to Photobucket re-arrangements killing most of the image links).

Blitzkrieg is Goldeneye's primary contact within the Cult Mechanincus, and a fairly close ally. I recently decided to tweak his character sheet and took the opportunity to get rid of his tenuously justifiable Dark Eldar 'Agoniser mace'. I replaced it with a portable spot-light; much more practical for a star-ship Magos who might find himself in the middle of an emergency with a lighting failure.

A close up on the lamp.
From the left.
From the right.
From the back.

Also, I've had a slight tidy-up of Blitzkreig's Famulous, Acolyte Johannes Hindenbaum:

I gave him some slightly improved holster for his machine pistols (a considerable improvement on the rather crude ones I'd modelled for him originally), a swanky new Auto-pistol, and reduced his number of Mechadendrites to one (he is only an Acolyte, after all).

Hindenbaum's new pistol.
Hindenbaum's new (and now only) Mechadendrite.

Lastly, here's something on which I would like to get the Conclave's opinion:

This is where I've got with Tin Man so far:-

From the back.

I'm reasonably satisfied with him, but I can't decide whether or not to give him a cloak. I've even gone so far as to model one for him, but I can't decide if I should go ahead and attatch it perminantly.

Here's a picture of him with the cloak:-

From the back.
Some detail on the cloak.

I honestly can't decide which looks better, and I would really value any other opinions I can get.

Thanks in advance, and of course any other comments & criticism are always welcome.