Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Anti-Great Gaming table project

Started by Hadriel Caine, September 25, 2009, 12:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadriel Caine

Bear with me on this one...

As I child I had a wonderful book called the Anti-colouring Book, the idea being that children should be taught to draw (create) rather than colour within the lines (conformity, death of the imagination etc).

I have recently (re)compiled the 'Great Gaming Table' log on these hallowed forums. I have presented to you some very detailed, labour intensive, gorgeous terrain for use in the game Inquisitor. Modest aren't I? There is a seriousness to the undertaking of building 54mm scale terrain, a gravity (possibly because its so fething big). But where, I hear you ask, is the versatility.

So I think it is only fair that I show you something that Robey Jenkins' theory of 'Drunkuisitor' may have helped to produce, although IIRC it hadn't been a coined term at the time, I was merely drunk AND playing Inquisitor, there was no link.

Esteemed colleagues may I (re)present:

The Anti-Great Gaming table

In English its known as LEGO.

Machelor and I discovered that rearranging the same buildings over and over again lead to occasionally stale games of Inquisitor. As such we endeavoured to play a whole day of Games using nary an identical structure.

LEGO, and similar child's building/ construction toys, lets not be elitist, provides the casual wargamer with the ultimate in modular terrain.

Here's the clever part. I suggested, on the old 'Clave, that it would be prudent to get a load of LEGO bricks and 'Grimdark'-ify them. The idea being that you rough coat the flat sides of the bricks and paint them to match your own image of prefab 41st millennium materials. So probably Adeptus Battlegrey, Codex Grey for those of us without a Visa Goldcard...

I know it sounds a little mad, and there is certainly no denial on that count coming from me, but I think that if you are interested in character development and wildy overarching and time consuming plot lines then it is a good idea to vary the adventurescape significantly during a campaing or even an evening of Gaming.

I leave you then with this in mind and a couple more shots of our prototype game,

Thanks for humouring me

Adam

tune in next time for the popular hypothetical training scenario: Kassadar's horrible day... provided of course I can find the transcript and diagram :D

EDIT// 100th post :D

just remembered THE best bit about LEGO terrain is you can represent battle damage by throwing bricks around and pushing over walls etc
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Heroka Vendile

Have to say I do like the juxtaposition of the fact that you were behind both one of the best Inquisitor terrain projects to grace this forum's various incarnations (to my knowledge) and also an advocate of knock-about scenery made from Lego.  :)
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Adlan

Know what I'd do?

Spray paint the Bricks Black/gray/metallic.

Suddenly, you have yet more awesome terrain.

Hadriel Caine

Quote from: Adam Cunis on September 25, 2009, 12:44:28 AM
Here's the clever part. I suggested, on the old 'Clave, that it would be prudent to get a load of LEGO bricks and 'Grimdark'-ify them. The idea being that you rough coat the flat sides of the bricks and paint them to match your own image of prefab 41st millennium materials. So probably Adeptus Battlegrey, Codex Grey for those of us without a Visa Goldcard...

Like this?
The Fall of Astraea

precinctomega

I played 40k with N2S not long ago using his Duplo bricks as terrain.

R.

Hadriel Caine

Nice, I had a look for Duplo bricks in our garage when we first tried this but I think they had been claimed by some garage sale years ago.

Could've been nice for varied structures.

Adam
The Fall of Astraea

Tyrius

Sweet, It takes me back to when me and a friend first started playing 40k... His brother and mates were well established in the game and had boxes and boxes of beautiful scenery. Which we'd been told if we went near them we'd get a hiding.
We ended up resorting to lego buildings so we weren't using the card ruins that came with the box...

Now where did my Lego go in the move... Oh... I have Meccano somewhere too...

Holiad

A very nice way to get an easily changeable board, particularly convenient when players start shooting bits off, and quite justifiable with the right background. To me, it looks exactly like the sort of thing the less stable mechanicus might put together as a hobby.
Poor noble Marech
Noone 'till the end could see
Your brave heart of fire