Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Nexus Still At Large!

Started by lcfr, May 31, 2013, 09:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lcfr

Hey guys,

old timer feeling nostalgic here...

Looks like some of the old gang is still out and about; I don't see Mentirius, but I suspect he's happily swimming his way out from the bottom of a pint!

I used to RP as Ex-Inquisitor Alessandro Nexus (boo/hiss) nigh on 10 years ago, and lately I've been looking for ways to exercise my writing muscles. I don't quite have the same free time available to me as did the 15yo kid who did whatever it took to get Nexus out of his latest bind, but at the very least I'd like to enjoy the Conclave (again!) as a place where I can produce something for the enjoyment of others and myself and, equally, be inspired.

I don't know that I'll return to the Arch-Heretic necessarily...Rex and Bob both told me they thought the Nexus Schism ended best with a clean execution, and it looks like it's too late for radical revisionism, but I have a few unrelated characters floating around that may receieve the gift of life again. On that note, I don't actually have any of the pieces I wrote back in the day; I've found a fragment here or there online, but nothing too comprehensive: is there any place all the old stuff is stashed? Failing that, has anyone kept personal archives of any of the older Conclave sagas? The schism never quite hit the high notes of the Amon Dull saga, but it did include a fair few collaborators, so my hope is that one of you is still out there with a big Word folder...

Anyways, great to be back, looking forward to catching up on all of your exploits!

-Alex

Koval

To be honest, most of the old faces have disappeared, and the Conclave is nowhere near what it was ten years ago. I remember the existence of the things you mention, but the only person I can think of who actually knows about these things in any great detail (beside yourself) is Charax.

Don't misunderstand me; it's brilliant to see you again, but a lot of 'Clavers these days are not altogether likely to be familiar with what you're talking about, especially since that was two Conclaves ago.

That said, hopefully your re-emergence might breathe some new life into the IC and OOC boards.

TheNephew

Aye, 'tis a crying shame but there's almost an entirely new cast of posters, as far as I've seen over the last year or so, with only a handful of the seriously prolific posters of the olden days still around regularly.

I don't suppose there's any chance Saussure, PO or Marco would have access to site archives?
I have this faint suspicion that all the archives were lost in one of the Conclave crashes/migrations, though I couldn't swear to it.

I do keep meaning to get involved in the RPs as well, so perhaps with summer on the horizon that will all pick up a bit - maybe try getting in touch with any of the peoples you have details for and dragging them back?

MarcoSkoll

I've only been here since the last incarnation of the Conclave, which was the one that got almost completely lost to the malicious attack on one of the other sites on the server.
I'm afraid my "Arch Data-Archivist" title only applies to the old GW articles, not any old Conclave material.

I know there are partial archives from at least one of the old black and green Conclaves (I know Charax has something he's doing with that kind of thing) - but the RP stuff from that age would mean relatively little to me and any rules design would relate to a former age of Inquisitor*, so it's never been top of my list of things to familiarise myself with!

* I know the same applies to many of the old GW articles I've collected, but those are at least an official and collectively agreeable base-line.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

always good to see an old face return :)

the 'clave is on a bit of a quiet patch at the moment (unfortunately :( ) so it'll be nice to see some movement :)

I echo Marco; Charax did a big datadump after one of the previous crashes but how much that was and if he still has it is another question...
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

lcfr

Thanks guys !

Can't believe I've got to go hat in hand to the bloody daemon prince again...hopefully the warranty for that planet-plague I bought hasn't expired, I can't afford another favour...

Macabre

My my, has it really been ten years?  :o

Truth be told, I joined the 'clave at the tail end of the AD Saga and the Dark Imperium storyline, so I wasn't involved (except a brief project with Menti and a kind of AD prequal in Secrets Hold with Mentirius and Balkoth).

I managed however to store an archive of all (maybe most) of the AD Saga, Nexus Schism and Dark Imperium threads.
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

TheNephew

It would be great if what archives people do have became available again - I'm about to come into a reasonably long stretch of reasonably quiet time at work, so catching up on these epics which were simply too daunting to start reading at the time seems a worthwhile use of said period.

I .might. still have a copy most of the sole RP I was involved in buried in a hard drive somewhere, but I've not had the chance to go digging for it yet, but sadly I'm pretty sure I've lost virtually all of the obscenely extensive world-building material that Dosamdt and others were leading for it. It was a lot of Mortal Engines-esque business, on icebergs.

Dosdamt

A few of us still lurk

-SlaaneshBen / Taren
It is never too late! - Mentirius

http://thementalmarine.proboards.com/index.cgi <- The Mind, for all your irreverent nonsense needs

Dosdamt

Well, smite me down with a daemonhammer and call me a heretic

It.... LIVES

http://conclavemirror.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general

http://thementalmarine.proboards.com/index.cgi <- The Mind, for all your irreverent nonsense needs

LordXaras

Oh, hey. I still have a login here!

*glomps teh nexus*

Dosdamt

I actually have a good portion of the people from the good old bad days on my Facebook.

Nexus, If I recall, didn't you live in Canada?

PS Addendorf says hello

Mentirius

Nexus, you nefarious bastard!  I never thought I'd see the day... ;D

I just had to register this username again, it has been that long since I last made a post.  I remember someone linking me to a thread on here a couple years ago where the Amon Dull Saga was mentioned, and I think I may have told the tale of the Nexus Schism to someone over drinks a while back...I've always remembered those stories fondly, but I also remember how much of my time it took to be as involved with them as I was.  When I first drifted away from the Conclave I did intend to return, when I had the time, but time always seemed in short supply, as I think has been the case for most of us.

However, having chewed it over with Ben and some of the others on Facebook, followed a link and found myself here, I rather like the sound of a small-scale revival.  Reading a couple of IC posts still triggers an urge to react.  I haven't written anything creative in quite some time, but I could see myself giving it a go.  I'll need to mull over a few ideas first, and it may take longer to finish things than it did in the old days, but on principle, consider me involved. 

Somewhere on one of my hard drives there lurk some documents from the days of the Schism, though I don't remember precisely where (I know they exist, but my organisation left a lot to be desired back then).  It looks like people have already rallied well to the call for copies of the old material, but I'll do my best to dig the buggers out if there's anything still missing.

Incidentally, nostalgic as I am for the green writing, I do like the feel of this incarnation.  Even if it is quieter these days, it warms the cockles to know the Conclave still exists.  Not to mention the Conclave Mirror...on which note, I think I'm going to click this link now.  I may be some time...

:)

lcfr

Hahaha I've got to find my way across the pond, you owe me a fair few drinks Menty...

This all looks great, I think I'll churn something out tonight that I'd like to get out there; may be more of a stand-alone to just shake some of the rust off, but who knows...

Piousservant

It seems to me it must be more that co-incidence that has brought such a gathering of old timers back together...

Good to see y'all again, it certainly seems like a strange co-incidence, I was thinking about getting back into doing some writing and feeling nostalgic for this place and thought I'd see if it still existed. Then seeing this thread I thought I'd better say hello.  ;D Realising how long ago I first started here is kind of scary though...!

"Here lies a toppled God,
His Fall was not a small one,
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one."