Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Just an idea

Started by Swarbie, September 25, 2009, 08:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swarbie

So, I was looking round the GW site a couple of days ago and something caught my eye. Namely the advance order for the new Space wolf character, Canis Wolfborn (a space wolf riding a giant wolf-thing for those of you who haven't seen him).

Now, last week I was reading Ravenor by Dan Abnett. Something also caught my eye. The pit circus part, to be precise.

Now here is my idea.

I think it would be awesome to create a group of circus performers who have been hired/enlisted by an Inquisitor to do his dirty work.

I was thinking about trying to do a ringmaster, beast-tamer (with appropriate beasts, hence the attraction to the Canis Wolfborn model), an acrobat, a few circus 'twists', and a knife thrower/gladiator.

So, any ideas about how I could go about doing this? You know, appropriate models and such. If anyone would like to steal this idea for themselves, please go ahead, as, knowing me, this will probably never get further than some simple planning.   
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

viper_eX

Severina and Sevora could easily be modified to fit into the cirus-atmosphere...
For beasts, how also about the Rhinox, the Ogre-Sabretooth or the beast of Nurgle?
++FLESH IS WEAK++

Dust King

Actually I was thinking of doing a circus group in the future myself. Although mine were going to be significantly more evil. I was thinking of basing it of Ray Bradbury's "Something Wicked this Way Comes", I find its characters have a rather timeless evil quality :D

I've been looking for a ringmaster model for a while myself, If anyone knows of a 54mm Georgian/1950's looking guy, preferably with a top hat, please let me know.

Also I think Preacher Josef would make a good 'carnie' worker with a bit of conversion. He has the rough worker look to him which I think could work.

Anyway good luck, hopefully at least one of us will get a warband off the ground

Swarbie

Well, I'm thinking of giving my circus a more "good-guy" feel, as in they're being pro-imperial to gain support and more customers from the Ecclesiarchie's (don't think I'll ever be able to spell that right) followers.

You know: "Come one, come all; come to the Cirque du Imperialis!!!! See Gythos the ex-Space Marine, be awestruck by the powers of Astropath Zann, and watch as Beastmaster Eithon's creatures battle against our Imperium's greatest foes*!!!!" That kind of thing.

There may also be a freak show.

*Actors dressed as aliens

With it, my world
To dust returning

viper_eX

Quote from: Swarbie on September 25, 2009, 11:04:39 AM

*Actors dressed as aliens

why actors?
With good contacts, you might as well get a rogue traitor who is willing to hunt for alien slaves every now and then...
Another possibility could be prisoners, which are promised to be freed if they win (of course thats a lie...)
++FLESH IS WEAK++

Hadriel Caine

Quote from: viper_eX on September 25, 2009, 11:22:39 AM
(of course thats a lie...)

everything you have been told is a lie...

I like the circus idea, it appeals to the performer in me! Somewhere between the Rankhor and Gladiator.

Adam
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: Dust King on September 25, 2009, 09:10:37 AM
I've been looking for a ringmaster model for a while myself, If anyone knows of a 54mm Georgian/1950's looking guy, preferably with a top hat, please let me know.

the Smog range by SmartMax would be a good starting place for this.

This chap

Or this one

Would make very good starting points for a ringmaster
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Swarbie

Thanks, that first one has the kind of look I want.
Now, to convince my parents to buy me yet more expensive miniatures... ;D
With it, my world
To dust returning

Dust King

Wow the top one does have the right sort of feel to it, just remove some of the Egyptian stuff and it would be great.

Just wondering I think there was a discussion about smartmax minis being smaller than others, anyone know about this? (I could easily be mistaken)

Kaled

Quote from: Dust King on September 26, 2009, 07:56:55 AM
Just wondering I think there was a discussion about smartmax minis being smaller than others, anyone know about this? (I could easily be mistaken)
Yes, they're 1/35 whereas GW Inquisitor models are 'heroic' 54mm (or 1/32).  The difference is not so great as to make them unusable, but they will be a little small.  Greenstuff_Gav posted a size comparison once, but I can't just find it...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Swarbie

Meh, so he has height issues.

Some of the other stuff on there is really great. I reckon the Canopic Beast and Duvio Juckal would make great pit-circus beasts with a little work.
With it, my world
To dust returning

Dust King

I've been looking around for a base for my ringmaster/illustrated man character (anyone who has read "something wicked this way comes" should recognise this immediately) and I've come up with some of these possibilities.

Andrea Miniatures undertaker 1880's

Like the hat and coat on this guy, not sure about the moustache and arms.

Andrea Miniatures high noon

Like the pose and face and can easily add a coat, not sure about the hat though :-\

Finally Pegaso Deaths' Hussars

Like the pose but not sure about the details, to military for my purposes

Right now I'm leaning towards high noon, bit of conversion and he should fit my ideas quite well ;)

greenstuff_gav

didn't GW do a giant rat thingy for necromunda? anyone got a scale comparison on that?
(slightly Off Topic, but that canis figure is *horrible* .. has Juan even seen a wolf before? most of the new Wolves stuff is just as bad  :P )

i'll get smart max scale shot done later... deleted it when i rebuilt my site  ::) but they are *tiny* even against SteveB's stuff, what with being 40mm :(
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

beef5570

I like the undertaker, just need to sort the arms.
As for canis Wolfborn it looks like he is riding a giant squirrel, well the head anyway.
Rob