Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Aidan - Dekster and Entourage.

Started by Aidan, September 25, 2009, 12:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aidan

Okay, back to posting pictures of my miniatures. Beginning with my most recent 'faction'.

Stefan Dekster is an officer in a special branch of the DOPF, secret police belonging to a faction of independent planets engaged in a 'cold war' with the local reach of the Imperium. The special thing about his branch is that it's full of psykers. As the DOPF can be rather likened to the Inquisiton in function (though not in form), so Y-I can be likened to the 'black ships'. They track down psykers, incorporating those they can into their own ranks and mercilessly killing those who resist. Dekster is a fairly independent agent, and in the near future he's going to endf up defecting and setting himself up as an Inquisitor, when the tide turns against his current taskmasters (something occurring in the campaign I'm running right now).

- - - - -

Dekster himself is a really little guy, and this is absolutely intentional. He's rather a tribute to B5's Bester, after all. It also helps enemies misjudge his threat to them, right up until their brains start dribbling out their ears. He's wearing a variation on the DOPF uniform, and has the Y-I symbol on his belt clasp and left pauldron. Though you can't see it very well in the photo, his gun's holster is not hanging loosely from his pants, but is hanging from a leather strap that is itself connected to his belt.

For size comparison:

On the far left is Dirril, who at 1.81 meters (approx 6 feet) is one of my taller characters. In the middle is Feldann, at about 5'6". Dekster should come in at about 5'3".

- - - - -

The navigator (or would that be navigatrix?) Irena Demariett. A navigator is a must have for a far-roaming agent like Dekster, and while she's too valuable for front lines, her psychic abilities are valuable in a supporting role in combat. The sword is mostly for show.

As one can see, she is based on one of Steve Buddle's miniatures. Since I gave her original head to another model (Siyaz Castirsas) her long hair has been completely removed (at which point I should mention I love working with resin, it sands so very cleanly!) and her head replaced with the one of the assassin twin who doesn't have a tube in her mouth.She was originally going to have a third eye-hole added, but when it occurred to me she already had an eye-implant, and a second 'real' eye on her forehead would make her look like a Picasso, I decided to give her a kind of 'shutter' instead. IT should help prevent her from accidentally blatting people with it, too.

- - - - -

Seillac Pado, the obligatory midget psyker. Indeed, a midget puppeteer, so I should rather say Seillac Pado and his favourite toy.

More great miniatures from eolith. Pado was originally going to be entirely self sculpted, but when I was buying from eolith I saw the little guy and figured I could save a lot of hassle by getting the basic body. Only the hands and head are therefore my own.

The 'puppet' is based, of course, on Frankenstein's monster, with what I hope to be suitable 40k-ification. I've long been wanting to use one of my powerfists in inquisitor, and it seemed to fit perfectly on the hook/hand option stump. I briefly considered a gun implant before remembering just how daft that idea really is. It's not like he's in any state to feel pain, but the bruising would pretty rabidly turn his entire arm to pulp and probably generate a lethal blot clot, too.

That's right, he's not dead. He couldn't be, 'cause there needs to be a live brain to manipulate! He's essentially become a vegetable after so much mental abuse, though. And since he's not a corpse, I opted instead of giving him a pallid complexion to going to the other extreme, very tanned, since I've decide all the drugs he's been treated with to keep him from wasting away have left him part-way mummified.

The paper nailed to his back was something I thought of since, without vocal capacities, Pado can't exactly declare his authority when his puppet is surrounded by an angry mob / law enforcement, but maybe he can just turn around and let them read something along the lines of 'inquisitorial agent, do not obstruct' or somesuch. The =][= symbol has been added in anticipation of Dekster's change of allegiance.

- - - - -

I generally tried to paint the whole group in sinister black-white-grey tones, with a very dark purple for Pado and a very dark teal for his puppet (who is actually the most brightly coloured!). The navigator was originally to be black-grey-silver, but I decided I wanted a little more diversity, so I went to the other end of the spectrum and used white and very pale greys and pastels. Sinister she isn't, but for those who think white can't be a villain's colour, watch Blake's 7.

- - - - -

Right now I'm working on the fourth/fifth member, the only (intelligent) one who is not a psyker. In fact, he's a blunt (in same sense as the tau, not as in the slur for non-telepath, or the mis-named blank-with-on/off-switch in Ravenor), and he's Dekster's professional psyker-hound. He should be done soon.

-Aidan.

Heroka Vendile

It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Simeon Blackstar

Agreed, I've never been keen on those heads outside of the original models, but you really make it work there!

Kaled

I really like the navigator - that head really works well on that body.

I think the models would be much improved if you did a little more with their bases - they're a little plain.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Aidan

Quote from: Kaled on September 25, 2009, 04:37:35 PM
I think the models would be much improved if you did a little more with their bases - they're a little plain.

Fair point, I have thought a lot about that. I like to keep my groups' bases consistent with each other, which doesn't directly get in the way of creativity - but in this case they're supposed to be concrete surfaces, and I can't think of any way to really spruce them up. If anyone has ideas, though, I'd be happy to hear them.

-Aidan.