Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Cortez's new stuff

Started by Cortez, September 19, 2013, 03:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez

With the Autumn conclave coming up I thought I'd finally get round to posting some of the new stuff I've been working on.

These two miniatures are the first of a range of models I've been sculpting for a while now using Zbrush and I'm finally at the stage of getting the models 3d printed.

First up is this Adeptus Mechanicus Tech Adept:

Zbrush render.

3d Print.

Another view of the print from the side.

The second model is intended to be a sort of bodyguard/investigator character. She's probably a bit scantily clad for some conclavers tastes though  ;D.

Zbrush render.

3d Print.

Lastly a group photo so you can see how they compare size wise with a couple of other models.

Now all I need to do is get them painted ready for next weekend.

Koval

I do find myself wondering whether the Magos either has, or is showing, a little too much flesh (and not enough tech) to be a proper Magos.

This is not remotely unsalvageable, however; Dark Heresy gave us such things as Mech-Deacons and Omniprophets (whose job is basically that of a Mechanicus missionary; consider that it's a bit difficult for the people you're trying to associate with to identify with you when you look like this), and the Lathe Worlds supplement also gave us Lathe Factors (which, although they're Lathes-specific, can be easily exported and used elsewhere; in short, they're Mechanicus ambassadors that go out of their way to blend in with normality).

If you're dead set on the idea of a Magos, then you'd probably be after a Magos Errant.

Beyond that, I'll just point out that they'd look much better with paint on them :P

Cortez

I've not really decided anything as to what their characters are going to be at the moment. They were more created with what inspired me at the moment rather than any desire to emulate a particular games workshop look (also as I'm considering selling the models at some point I want to steer clear of anything too close to gw's ip). I was probably more inspired by Malifaux than 40k when creating these.

So any suggestions as to what to actually do with the models (as regards inquisitor) would be gratefully received as I haven't kept up with the latest fluff etc. from games like Dark heresy and so on.

Macabre

Bizarrely, I have a friend with Zbrush (doing amature character designs for indie games alongside her computer science degree thingy), but I'd never considered 3D printing to create miniatures (although I do know that GW use it a lot now). Which printer did you use?
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Cortez

I had it printed with Shapeways using their frosted ultra detail. I'm not sure which printer that they use for that.

I've been considering getting the formlabs form1 printer for myself which looks to be of a similar quality.

MarcoSkoll

Well, printed miniatures may well be a Conclave first.

I did wonder if it was Shapeways when I saw it - that makes me wonder a bit, as the few pictures I've seen of the 28mm stuff people are trying to sell through their site doesn't convince me that the detail level is really up to quite such a small size.
So, I'm interested to see how 54mm works with their material... it's just a shame that photographing translucent material is like trying to nail jelly to the wall... more undercoat or paint please!
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Quote from: Cortez on September 19, 2013, 11:01:23 PM
I haven't kept up with the latest fluff etc. from games like Dark heresy and so on.
Well, I've expanded on what to do with the Magos, and I don't see anything wrong with the bodyguard apart from possibly being a bit underdressed (and I had to convince myself that actually, those weren't katanas), so if there's anything specific you'd like us to talk about, please say so :P

Cortez

It should work ok at 28mm although you'll have to use a heroic scale. I wouldn't want to make the hands for example any smaller than they are on these prints (which are truescale 54mm). I'm already concerned about how much of the very fine detail the paint will cover. It could end up looking more like they're wearing mittens so I'm already planning alterations to the sculpt in order to enlarge some of the fine details and an increase to the size of hands.

Heres a macro view of the bodyguard's face,

which might give you a better idea of the detail level.

As to it being a conclave first, not quite as I brought this model to the autumn conclave last year.

This Dark Eldar wych inspired model was printed on an objet printer not by shapeways and the resolution is nowhere near as good (and the white material is even harder to see than the translucent!)

Quote from: Koval on September 20, 2013, 06:40:06 AM
and I had to convince myself that actually, those weren't katanas
erm... well... that would be because they started out as a katana and a wakizashi  :).

I'll probably open another thread in the rules forum for you to pick apart the ideas I had while sculpting the models.

Heroka Vendile

Well, it's certainly a possible future direct for those that like to self-sculpt. Can't wait to see those two with a lick of paint on them. Litterally the only negative comment I have is that they're both rather... buxom.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Cortez

Kallidor

I think they both look pretty, bloody good myself. I first read about 3D Printing a few years back but it seems to be all over the forums now. I thought about getting myself a printer but I see the Form 1 Printer is pretty pricey, too much for me that is for sure. If you can get as good a level of detail using that as you have with these models it's like a ready made business right there although I don't know how many prints you could do with a litre of resin, 30 or 40 54mm minis maybe? Obviously you can use the sculpting programme already though - how hard would you say that is to build up decent skill in (I've not done anything like it myself, only sculpting using Green Stuff and the like)?
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Cortez

It'll take you around 1 year to learn how to use a professional software like Zbrush I'm afraid. Not to mention that the software licence costs over $700.

I've been using it now for about 18 months and I'm still finding new tricks and easier methods for doing things.

The model that I've just painted should use (including support material) 10ml of fluid (according to Formlabs Preform software) so in theory you should get 100 prints from a litre.

Kallidor

I imagine that with the printing it is more efficient with resin use, unlike regular casting.

I suppose that programme cost is high, too much for me that is for sure, although it seems fairly in-line with similar programmes, photoshop ain't cheap as an example.

Thanks for the information though, definitely food for thought :D
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Cortez

There is a free, opensource sculpting software called Blender available. I don't know what its like although I've heard that the user interface is horrible (although I think Zbrush's ui could be a lot better in places).

Kallidor

Could be something to help practise with though and then invest in something more decent later. Hmm, might be worth a go. Thanks for the info  :)
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!