Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

2014 Dual Scale Spring Event -- Ancient Rites -- WHW, May 3rd

Started by Koval, September 28, 2013, 10:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koval

QuoteHave you got an idea as to when you'd like to hold the event Koval?

I've currently pencilled in April 26th as a speculative date, though in principle either the 5th or 12th could also work (depending on when the Bristol Vanguard hold their next Vanquish event). In principle there's also May 3rd. However, I have yet to run anything past WHW.

I'd like to avoid March in case that's when we schedule IGT'14.

I would also like to avoid the 19th, due to it being Easter weekend (so I know you in particular can't make it based on what you said about IGT'13, and I don't like to deliberately choose dates where I already know someone can't attend).

Keravin

I would seriously advise avoiding earlier in April because that's when Salute is.   Earlier in April takes me out as a player/GM because I am more than likely going to/working Salute.

Koval

Thanks for letting me know. It currently looks like a choice between April 26th, or a date in May.

Koval

Morning folks,

So I've had a few more ideas about this event.

Firstly, logistics.

As I see no present obstacles to holding it on April 26th (last Saturday in April), I'll approach GW with that date a bit nearer the time. I'll also be working out times in due course; I'm aiming for 90 minute time slots, giving us 10 for changeover/setting up, and 80 for an actual game. This may be subject to further change.

I'd like some volunteers to help out with GM duties on the day -- and if you'd like to use this as an opportunity to run a scenario of your own devising, let me know and we can work it in. I've planned sixteen scenarios, of which nine are integral to the event and I'd definitely like to see a tenth happen. So there are six potential openings if someone wants to run their own scenario, but I'd primarily like GMs willing to GM one of the main scenarios :P

On such a note, some of the scenarios can be run with Player GMs, but some can't, so I'd like some Dedicated GMs in the mix as well.

I don't foresee there being "scoring", but I'll probably produce some "assets" (in card form or otherwise) for those who win a particular scenario -- these may give them extra wargear, a NPC operative, or even an impediment depending on the scenario and how I feel at the time. ;D

Notes on the setting!

The event will be set in the Abraxis Sector:

Located in central Ultima Segmentum and rimward of the Dalthus Sector, Abraxis is mostly frontier space, with a considerable number of worlds that have yet to be reclaimed or rediscovered by the Imperium. By and large, the sector's Imperial presence is concentrated within Sub-Sectors Abraxis and Zorya; Kauket, Achlys and Nyx remain outside of Imperial control, and Charun is subject to an Inquisitorial blockade following the investigation into the Arch Worlds phenomenon.

Koroneia, the planet on which the event will take place, is located in Sub-Sector Kauket, close to the Abraxis-Zorya boundary line (on the map, it's roughly between the final "s" in Sub-Sector Abraxis and the "H" in Howling Stars).

What will this mean for people wanting to use certain characters?

Characters from Dalthus will have absolutely no problem making the journey to Koroneia by way of either Loidis or the Borderworlds.

Characters from Carthax may have a slightly harder time, primarily because I'd like us not to bring the Arch Worlds into this (besides which, there's a blockade in the way). Having said that, if you want to use Carthaxian characters, you most definitely can, as the objective is to play games. Maybe they have an Abraxian counterpart?

Brand-new Abraxian characters, or Abraxian analogues of existing characters, are also encouraged at either scale. :)

On scale:

Obviously the intention is for this event to be a dual-scale affair. I'm aware that some people have a distinct preference for One Scale Only -- and that's fine as long as everyone can play nice with each other.

To that end, if you want to bring 28mm Only, that's fine.
If you want to bring 54mm Only, that's fine.
If you want to bring two different groups of characters -- one at 54mm, one at 28mm -- then that's great (bonus points if the two groups know each other!)
If, as I know Keravin and Kaled do, you have the same main character at both scales, with different sets of henchmen and operatives at different scales, then that's brilliant. And if anyone actually does that, then I will buy them the drink of their choice from Bugman's.

If you'd like to come along, please let me know, and tell me whether you'll be 28mm Only, 54mm Only, Dual Scale - Two Groups, or Dual Scale - One Group. :)

Heroka Vendile

I'd probably only be able to play at 54mm, but would happily GM either scale.
That said, I cannot commit either way on the date for quite a while yet.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

QuoteCharacters from Carthax may have a harder time
I'm aware you might be thinking about the possibility of not dissuading people with a strict approach to galactic geography (well, stricter than GW normally seem to be, anyway), but I don't think the event will get much out of trying to restrict Carthaxian characters.

That's a lot of people who're basically being advised to not bring any of their 54mm collection unless they want to do something completely out of their own continuity as Inquisitor Bell "Rock" Rasomort or some other anagram. And that rather devalues a given game to me, not treating it as part of my characters' continuities.

I don't presently have a lot of reason to do 54mm versions of my Dalthan characters - there are a few 54mm Dalthan models, but the emphasis that needs to be applied there is "few". Creating such models would likely mean little use or lots of time away from "home".

I have however got plans for 28mm Carthaxian characters - one day there'll be a tiny Inquisitor Skoll and Gala's concept was based off 28mm (ish) models (and she will eventually have both scales of model).

Now, I'm not beyond creating Abraxian characters in both scales at some point. I've got some character/warband concepts I've had floating around my head for a long time - a Xanthite with a Slaaneshi daemonhost (based on a very weird idea I was given regarding the "chainmail bikini" concept) or the infamous Rogue Trader "Hotblack Desiato" - that aren't strictly tied to anywhere yet, so could potentially be Abraxians... but these are no guarantees.

~~~~~

As for the date, I have no current issue.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on October 26, 2013, 03:47:02 PM
I'm aware you might be thinking about the possibility of not dissuading people with a strict approach to galactic geography (well, stricter than GW normally seem to be, anyway), but I don't think the event will get much out of trying to restrict Carthaxian characters.
Fair point. Given that the intent is not to put up barriers, I've altered that part of my post.

MarcoSkoll

<mrburns>Excellent.</mrburns>

Anyway, provisional yes from me at both scales. As for what characters - well, I'd like to be "fully into it" by doing something Abraxian, but I've also got way too many unfinished projects already...

... in short, we'll see.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Well, the Xanthite would be interesting, as that would A) give you a potential Abraxian and B) give you some connection to (or rivalry with) the aforementioned Slaanesh presence on Koroneia, but it's really up to you. Desiato would work, if you wanted to do something with him. Or maybe Virasson's gone on a sabbatical.

MarcoSkoll

Well, there are certainly a good few advantages to making that Xanthite Abraxian.

I'd originally envisioned the Slaaneshi Daemonhost as a 54mm model and would still like to do her that way, but the Dalthan events do have a shortage of truly radical Radicals.
Seeing as I don't generally come up with a lot of Radical concepts (at least, not extreme ones; I've done a couple of Recongregators, but of a type who are more 'willing to change where needed' than 'change for change's sake'), splitting the difference on one of the rare times I do have such an idea and being able to use them both ways wouldn't hurt.

The alternative as far as trying to bring matching sets of models would probably have to be Inquisitor Skoll. It's at least not completely illogical - the Ynys is after all an ex-smuggling vessel and heavily modified (if not necessarily wholly legally) for running blockades.

GW's =I= articles

Koval

Morning folks,

At some point this week, I'll try and get in contact with WHW and see if I can get those tables booked. Once that's sorted, I'll be able to put the event info pack together. :)

TheNephew

There's a reasonable chance I'll be able to make it to this.
And I'll bring the same/similar band in both scales, if I do.
I think I already posted something to this effect, but it'll serve to remind me as much as inform y'all, hopefully.

Koval

I phoned Warhammer World earlier -- they don't have any tables left for April 26th.

I suspect Battle Brothers needs more tables than I'd anticipated.

So the new tentative date is
May 3rd
for which I'll try to book tables when they start taking May bookings (which I'm told is the beginning of February).

If anyone has any additional suggestions (Keravin and Molotov, I'd be especially grateful for your input), then please feel free to chip in.

Cortez

MarcoSkoll

Should work for me too.

Still need to work on any models/characters though...

GW's =I= articles