Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Gav's Current Projects

Started by greenstuff_gav, September 25, 2009, 11:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

so, i've hit a bit of wall with the Inspiration Fairy and thought i'd post for opinions...

while the files upload, painted me a Servitor (the flash's killed the blending :( )

more work on the Acolyte for Inquisitor Hymunin.. not sure what i'm doing with her staff thingy  :-[
anyone got ayn suggestions for anything else?

the main question, is i'm not sure if the Magos is done; something doesn't seem right with him :(
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Aidan

Great work, some very good sculpting there. I actually quite like the magos (I assume he's the guy in the middle). I imagine the reason something might not 'seem right' about him is that a) he's not wearing robes, and I've never seen a tech-priest without robes; b) he doesn't seem nearly as mechanical as magi tend to be. On the other hand, he is quite unique. I especially like the cables and the... thing... on his arm.

Not sure what you could do with the acolyte's staff - the shield definitely make her look like a close combat soldier, but a staff really can't be weilded very well in conjunction with a shield. A spear, perhaps, would be better, if you could stop it from looking to medieval. The position of her arm would make a gun look really odd, anyway.
Is her ornamentation a result of Adeptas Sororitas origins, or does she just have a thing for fleur-de-lys?

-Aidan.

Simeon Blackstar

Aidan - the magos is the head-in-a-box attached to the centre servitor  ;)

Nice addition to Slick's legs on the plasma servitor Gav, it looks appropriately chunky to support the extra weight.

I think the problem with the magos is that he just doesn't look 'leaderish' enugh.  He's not a very imposing figure.  Personally, I think the model would make a great advisor character - perhaps the leader's mentor - but he doesn't look like the main character to me.

TheNephew

Perhaps if you could get a fleur de lys spear head on that shaft, it would look acceptable. I agree with Aidan that a gun wouldn't work with the pose, and a staff wouldn't make sense with the shield.
Perhaps a consecrated blade or something? I know it would make her look .very. much like a medieval warrior woman, quite probably too much, but it may be worth considering if the spear doesn't grab you.

For the Magos, I'd put a tabard or something similar on the front or back of the carrier, with a nice big symbol on there.
More importantly, I'd put some sort of support from the waste to the 'neck' of the box, because as it stands it looks a little too much like it's floating in the air.
Perhaps a really chunky vox-caster could fill the gap, to give the Magos a good booming voice to address the commoners with.

Edit: Looking at it again, I think the issue with your Magos is how off-balance his 'body' should be, and how oddly distributed the weight is across the model.
I think this works fine for henchman servitors, but looks a little too odd in a primary character.
I'd still expand the vox-caster along to the right waist/armpit, but consider putting something on his left shoulder blade as well - some form of life support would be ideal, or tubes running from the box into a big mass of transfusion tubes and such as if the whole servitor body was a life-support machine as well as transport. This way he'd still be a head in a box stuck to a person, but the model would be balanced.

Alyster Wick

Great looking batch of models!

Servitors look great and I love the tech priest.  He is a bit lacking as far as a PC would go, but I think that's just the side effect of being a head in a box.  I mean, who really wants to RP a head in a box?  Not to mention that his two henchmen lack in the department of personality.  To that end, I don't think there is much that could be done to make him look more appealing from a "leader" perspective, but he has oodles of character.  I think it's a fantastic NPC band that melds well together and has a great cohesive personality, just not the type that would make it a fun "primary warband" group, imho.

Now this is a wacky idea, but what if you turn the staff into some kind of staff/flamethrower?  Normally she just carries it around as a beacon of hope (it's the "flame of the emperor" or "eternal torch" of some kind), but when she needs she just points it as something and kicks the tires.  The shield is there symbolically to help protect the "flame of the emperor." 

All in all, the concept is heavy on the symbolism and light on the utility (something I consider to be staunchly 40K), plus it would serve as a good central focus for the character and her history (provided you didn't have already in mind).  Of course the staff would need some serious sprucing up, but with your brilliant history of conversion I'm sure you're up to that task. 

Ynek

Just looking at the magos there...

He needs more bionics on his face to help reinforce the admech theme. Maybe a bionic eye? Additionally, I think that a lot more tubes, pipes, pumps and gubbins would help to make him look a bit more "complete." At the minute, he still kinda looks like a box on the end of an arm, rather than being an integrated part of the servitor's body.  The model as a whole looks a bit lopsided, so perhaps some sort of life-support system hanging from the other side of the servitor might be appropriate. Also, maybe a transparent acetate cover for the front of the box (to imitate glass) might help.

I think that some sort of hanging banner from the bottom of the box might help to make him look more magos-y. A red baner marked with the cog would be reminiscant of magos's robes, and would therefore probably help to make him look more convincing.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

greenstuff_gav

thanks folks.

For the Sister / acolyte, i'm going for a look like the Dude Onna right... faithful acolyte carrying flaming symbol of his Wrath. think i'm gonna go for a larger base on it so she can stand it up on it's own and draw the holstered pistol she carries :)

i added some detail to the magos; as you all spotted he's not a main PC, but rather an advisor to a couple other PCs :)

(paintjob still WIP.. its hard to see, but there is a clear plastic screen infront of the face)
as to his head, it's not more inbuilt as its magnetised to slot into a hulking behemoth rig for when he ventures off with his own retinue :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Simeon Blackstar

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on September 28, 2009, 04:37:11 PM
as to his head, it's not more inbuilt as its magnetised to slot into a hulking behemoth rig for when he ventures off with his own retinue :)

That was what I'd been thinking of using the head-in-a-box for, though I had been going to make mine an Inquisitor.  In retrospect, a Magos makes a great 'Gatekeeper' type baddie too!

Molotov

I'm definitely looking forward to pictures of the "Behemoth Rig"!
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

precinctomega

Quotea Magos makes a great 'Gatekeeper' type baddie too!

Have you seen INQ2?

R.

Simeon Blackstar

Quote from: precinctomega on September 29, 2009, 12:03:39 PM
Quotea Magos makes a great 'Gatekeeper' type baddie too!

Have you seen INQ2?

R.

Much to my disappointment, no, beyond the trial rules you posted on here.  :(

Kaled

Very cool Gav - the head in a box is nice, but I really like the tentacled left arm - it has a nice feeling of movement to it.

The think that looks a little weird to me about the girl is the combination of flaming staff and shield.  With mine, I'm planning to remove the shield from her hand and give her a pistol instead - I think something similar would work better here too.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat