Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

New to the game

Started by Cyanide, December 03, 2013, 11:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyanide

Hi there,

I'm a new Inquisitor from Calgary Canada.  I'm really excited about Inquisitor as I have just started looking into it, only to find that it is the game I've always been looking for.  I am absolutely in love with the narrative element in the game, the need to craft detailed back stories for characters, and the desire to tell a great story rather than win a game.  I've started fleshing out my first character and will post his story in the rules area.  I have talked a couple of friends into trying Inquisitor as long as we play in 28mm scale.  I plan to start out in 28, get them hooked and then move to 54mm in the future.

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know everyone here, and to creating great stories as my Inquisitor journey begins!

MarcoSkoll

Have a traditional "Big Yellow Welcome":

Welcome to the Conclave

~~~~~

Inquisitor is quite unique as a game. A bit rough around the edges, as could be expected from a game that had no real parent nor a second edition, but its quirks can be managed with some experience.

It's become somewhat more difficult to pursue the game in 54mm scale these days, given all of GW's own range has gone OOP. Some of their web-store regions have a very few of the models left, but not enough to be practical; so, the options are largely scratch-building, converting from other manufacturers (few of which naturally produce things in the 41st millennium's gritty style), hoping to get what you want on eBay or 28mm.

The last is in all respects a valid way to play the game. It has its detractors, certainly, but I have fun playing (and modelling for) the game at both scales.

The only thing to really be wary of is that the 28mm range, while hugely versatile, doesn't set the tone for Inquisitor very well.

Where WH40K is a game about the front lines of military combat, Inquisitor is about the dark shadows of the Imperium and its many internal conflicts. All of those plentiful Astartes or Xenos models the range offers make for characters that, aside from being difficult to properly roleplay, don't naturally have a prolonged role in the setting and result in overly aggressive games. Inquisitor characters should not feel like they've come straight from a 40k army.

So not all models are is usable as is - and a good few newcomers do need reminding of that when presented with all that choice!

But that's not an argument that you shouldn't go 54mm if you do eventually want to - it's just a general ramble on the merits and otherwise of choosing either scale.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Cyanide

Thanks for the welcome! 

The inappropriateness of things like space marines and front line forces is something that has brought me here!  There is such a great appeal to the dark shadows of the Imperium!  I've been reading about inquisitor for about a month now and I think I have a good grasp on the types of characters that should be found in this game! 

As for GW discontinuing all the models, Is a shame and I do intend to go the Ebay route for at least one warband!  For now I'll stay on my 28 mm group and see where it goes from there!

MarcoSkoll

QuoteI think I have a good grasp on the types of characters that should be found in this game!
I'm not implying you don't. But there have been people who just grab the Terminator Librarian from their 40k army, which is counter productive - it's not what the game is about, and "winning" that way is a lot like winning by bringing 6000 points to a 2000 point game; it's not fun and it proves nothing.

I should point out it was also quite possible to miss the point with the 54mm range though - one early review complained about the lack of Xenos and how much the tanks were going to cost! ::)
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Cyanide

Thanks again MarcoSkoll,

I hate how dificult vocal tone is to confer through text! I never thought that you were implying that I didn't understand the purpose of Inquisitor and I was not trying to defend my knowledge of the type of game that I thought it should be.  I was more trying to assure you that I had atleast a passing understanding of the tone of the game. 

I'm currently planning my first warband, as you have seen the genesis of my first Inquisitor in the rules forum and I'm looking forward to posting some models in the modeling forum in the next day or so.

No Terminators here, just a rag tag bunch of regular joes from all over the Imperium!