Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

My impirial NPCs log

Started by seaglen, April 03, 2014, 09:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaglen

(Page 3 has more updates on the cultist at the bottom) ... I also finished the scupting for the assassin-sniper lady - called Dorada.

she now has distinct layers to blend in the scale cloak, and also the head is now added and blended in:

Now to just choose a colour scheme.... the original model I tore apart (if you look back in this thread) was a shiny deep blue. Im not to much a fan of that, and was thinking a grey/blue body suit, with a deep aqua/green scale cloak, and dark brown hair... thoughts?

mcjomar

The two questions would be "what world is she from?" and/or "where is she going?"

If she's going to be sniping, her clothes will be chosen to reflect the world/terrain she's operating with.
More rural/jungly means greens. Urban means greys, or maybe browns.
Unless her bodyglove/cloak is knock-off cameoline?
In which case maybe it gives you an opportunity to paint it as if it's changing to match the local flora/structures.

Failing that, the colour scheme you're suggesting is pretty good - we tend to see a lot of brown hair I think though.
I've found that blue and green are annoying to differentiate, so I'll be interested to see how you pull it off, maybe I can learn something.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

seaglen

Very good point about blue/green differentiation. I was thinking more of a blue grey bodysuit, with a terracotta-esque colouration to the cloaks layers, and the an almost alpha-legion blue/green to the scales.
Seeing as she works for my slaneesh fallen inquisitor, I feel more comfortable with slightly less conservative colours for her

mcjomar

Sounds pretty good.
I've tried to use Ice blue for something eyecatching/eyewatering on my own model, and ditto the blazing orange for hair.
Incidentally, there was a colour called Fiery Orange, right? I'm not just imagining it?
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

blacknight

Must say I am loving the parts combination of the sniper. In terms of colour if her I like the idea of the alpha legion inspired scales to the cloak. Thinking if it is representing a chameleon cloak having the same or similar colours for the fabric and scales might portray that easier.  Another possibility would be to tie the cloak's colour to the base of the model as if it were changing to match the surroundings.

Marc/blacknight
Well you can do what you want, the technical branch are going to stay here and keep her afloat!! - Diesel CPO Otto Fricke, U505, Nov 10 1942 - On being ordered to abandon ship.

Van Helser

I would be tempted to go for something outlandish for the hair. It's too grand a 'do' to simply have fading into the background (camouflage be damned!).

Unsurprisingly, I like the Alpha Legion scales idea.

Ruaridh

seaglen

I was certainly thinking orange for the hair, but didn't want to draw too much similarity with the callidus assassins already sporting that colour.
I'm thinking a matte grey bodysuit, with a wash of blue, and then Alpha Legion colour scales for the cloak. Hopefully the only part of skin you can see (the right side of her face) will be pale enough to pop out against the inorganic majority of the model...

seaglen

bit of an update on this one now. I've begun the first layers of colour on the suit, and cloak:

following this, I popped a bit down on the face, metal areas, and rifle (I will be going for a wood/silver look on this):

thoughts?

blacknight

I quiet like, the eye and the face give the model a very determined look.

I do have to agree with Ruaridh that the hair needs a bit more colour and to pop a bit.  eye is drawn to the face at the front but the red of the cloak on the sholders from the back.

Anyway my two cents.

Marc/blacknight
Well you can do what you want, the technical branch are going to stay here and keep her afloat!! - Diesel CPO Otto Fricke, U505, Nov 10 1942 - On being ordered to abandon ship.

seaglen

4 YEARS LATER!!!

Crikey - hello again all!
It's been a while hasn't it? needless to say lockdown has given me time to dust off the boxes and bring my inquisitor resources back out. I'm so happy to have done so, and am busy picking up where I left off!

Right! on with the sniper - She's now received a bit of a paint upgrade, and her hair and other details are all coming together now.

Went for a purple on the hair to tie her into the fallen slannesh warband she accompanies.

I've also tidied up more of the Arbites Judge I was working on as well - adding more weathering to the red/yellow armour to give it a more realistic look, and generally adding detail to the shield and body.

Glad to be back, and comments always welcome!

cymrilian

both look great! the eldar arms on the assassin figure work very well.
and the arbite pose conveys a real sense that he is braced for attack

seaglen

Many thanks!
Hoping to finish up a few more details on the zealot (earlier in this thread) tomorrow too :)

mcjomar

Good choice on the hair colour.
I notice her bodysuit blends into her base - is that intentional? As her camo, etc?
And can we get a closeup of her head?

seaglen

Thanks,
yeah I was going for a grey that blended in. was worried its a little too indestinct though!

here's the head shot:

I've also finished up on the zealot now too! - Lockdown is great for having time to paint at least.

Mentirius

This is more sterling work right here - that dark purple really works for me, and makes a refreshing change from the reds and neutral tones of many Imperial cultists.  I also adore that scaled cloak on the assassin; it really helps to tie the alien sniper rifle from the ranger into the Imperial body-suit.  Your determination to get every little detail looking exactly right is inspiring.

I was kinda hoping lockdown would have this effect on more people last year, raising the volume of creative projects being completed, rather than the drastic reduction in Conclave activity we saw instead.  In fairness, it does make sense that the lack of opportunity to actually play Inquisitor with other members, on top of all the IRL stress we're collectively dealing with, reduced people's motivation to engage in the hobby side of things.  Still, this is good to see.  I've been using the time to get back into writing, as personally I find having projects to focus on really helps to prevent me from going too stir-crazy...  If I still had any paints or brushes, or any idea where to start with the thousand and one new colours they released to replace the old familiar range, I think I might be tempted to get back into modelling too.  Not that I need to do that to appreciate these threads!

Keep up the good work anyway dude, I'll certainly be watching with interest to see what else develops.