Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Summoning/Binding Circle

Started by Dorn, May 23, 2014, 09:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorn

Inspired by the Caverns of Jericho mission I plan a new terrain project. I want to build some kind of summoning and binding circle. But I would like a technical/occult look instead of the one of an ancient ruin. It should be powered by a generator and two psykers chained on psi-amplifing thrones. In front of the summonig circle I plan also an invocation altar.

I would still need some help with the occult stuff...

Do you know any 40k symbols that can be used for this? I don't really want to use the standart chaos runes, because they seem too powerful and heretical... Maybe there are some other occult symbols, which fit in the 40k setting... maybe even some lovecraftian symbols or so... maybe symbols that are used by the Grey Knights against deamons... to implement the binding aspect...

Do u have any ideas?

And an other question for the fluff-gurus: Has the Aquila or other imperial symbols an special effect on deamons? How do exorcism work in the 40k universe?
Bear my light to all men. Illuminate the darkness.

DapperAnarchist

For symbols, I recommending looking online for the Key of Solomon and other Goetic texts - there are sigils in there which could be adapted into something very interesting. Also scour the Hellboy comics and movies for stuff, Mignola really gets the B-movie demonology and occult technology look down pat, as does Del Toro.

I also think that just having text, in big Roman or Gothic script (heavy serifs or ornate blackletter), in Dog Latin (stuff like "PURGATUS DAEMONATII" or "BESTIUS DEI" - first one is really just "High Gothic", second one may actually mean "The Beast of God", if I've gotten my change from Lamb to Beast correct) around the place works.

There is, in the old Realm of Chaos books, some chaos runes for writing with, google image search for "Realm of Chaos runes", though personally I don't find them that inspirational. H is Phi, for some reason.

I think that anti-Warp stuff seems to work in two ways in 40K - one is the Lovecraft/Dishonoured/Laundry Files idea that there are mathematical rhythms to the universe which can be used against the Dark, so certain symbols are directly damaging to the Warp. The other is a less tongue in cheek version of the Prachett idea of faith made real - the Daemons of the Warp are the products of a mass belief system, and so are vulnerable to other parts of that same system, so, yes, the Aquila, the Skull and ][, and other images would have the classic "vampire + cross" effect, as would silver, blessed items, salt, incense, etc.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Dorn

@DapperAnarchist: Thank you for the inspiration. It will be very helpful, once I start painting.

Here is a first sketch of the cirle. The ziggurat will be a concrete struture and the vertical sides will be partially open to showing cables, cogweels and small panels... The Psi-Thrones are amplifing psionic energy for the summoning and binding, while the generator keeps everything running. The pylons should concentrate the psionic energy for the prozess. At the altar stands the ritualist to guide the whole process of summoning and binding of the warp creature...

I hope that I can start cutting the ziggurat on this weekend. For the pylons I wanted to have something like todays power poles...
Bear my light to all men. Illuminate the darkness.

DapperAnarchist

Will it be a recent construction, all clean and vaguely surgical, or something older, decayed? Its a good design to start off with anyway!
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!