Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

54mm Felinid Sculpt

Started by greenstuff_gav, June 19, 2014, 04:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

So, Jediknight contacted me about sculpting a couple of character concepts of his and being stuck on a couple of projects thought i'd give it a go, help finance some silicone to get some 54mm stuff into production!

i'll start with the brief supplied followed by breakdown of ideas and go onto sculpting; this project is still very WIP but you can't blame a guy for throwing content up!

Cally.
She's a felinid in a leather body glove meant to be tall, lithe and graceful,

a bag strapped to her left hip like the maxpedition stuff, shoulder strap and a waistbelt. The bag having a data slate or scroll sticking out. Obviously full   

Shortish hair her face masked with a sort of silk wrap. So the eyes are on show but nothing else is.
Features hinted at so the nose and jaw is obviously not right, not quite human but not ott anthro cat.

Boots/feet are obviously not quite human in shape   

My base idea was ypou know that inquisitor woman with two curved pistols that's around? Similar to that but have her with a blade on her grip of her left hand

and have the model posed like she's halfway into a hand spring.  So either crouching, just pushing off or idk. Something to give the flair of a gymnast. 

so, Felinid, for those unaware, were introduced in a small paragraph in the 40k 6th edition; simply listed as Homo Sapiens Hirstus (Felinid) abhumans limited to their homeworld (Carlos McDonnel after the Rogue Trader who discovered it)
while technically limited, i see no reason why they can't be smuggled / traded offworld!

Now that's all the information i'm aware of; i'm not even sure if they're in 7th edition...
Some people choosing anime cat-girls to the literal translation of people covered in hair.

i've wanted to do a more gymnastic-posed miniature and saw this as a perfect excuse!

out came the sketchpad and i threw a few ideas together, the best of the bunch being:

The first is based off a gymnastic assassin i converted a long time ago (and can't find pictures of); a mix of Ghost In The Shell and springing forward, Kenshin-style.

The second is inspired by a chapter illustration from one of my favourite comic series featuring a ninja princess (virtual cookie for anyone who guesses!) and is over-the-top action pose; half spinning leap forward; i see that blade following the arc to slice at navel-height!

Jedi chose the second illustration as the basis of the pose with some tweaks to details etc and so out came a spare Sevora to make an armature:

I've extended the torso / shins and added an abhuman styled ankle / foot.
I've twisted the torso slightly more to make it appear more natural and should add to the final pose.

i bulked up this armature and apparently didn't save the images; i've had my PC die as of late and haven't been able to recover my archives :(

that said, the discussion went to clothing and Jedi was rather vague; i added a seam to the top half, emphasising syn-skin while sculpting shorts on the bottom half; this aids demonstrating options as she'd either be covered in spray-on synskin and not display her fur, or something lightweight (so not to hinder) but would need fur painting...

I also added the tail; we were unsure if she'd actually have one or not!
I personally like the sense of movement the tail adds and think it balances nicely!

Having decided on the hoodie-casual route of clothing, i began adding detai / bulking her out

you can see i've began adding rolls of cloth where the hoody has risen up; being such an acrobatic pose things would move around!
you may just see the hood falling back; i'd imagine she'd stay covered up travelling about
I've added a big ol' belt for her bag, still debating if a shoulderstrap would work or if it'd be too distracting!
i've left her feet uncovered; most cats dislike things on their paws so added some detail to her paw-prints

Next up i need to start on the hands and sword as well as add more actual hair.
I'm debating making her trousers longer; while fitting for the character (who'd want to be covered up) anything too heavy duty would be difficult to be gymnastic in!

so, thanks for looking, comments are always welcome!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Sumaki

Reminds me of kittrina from the old he-man cartoon.

meow.

greenstuff_gav

thankfully most cat-people are fairly similar; lithe and acrobatic!
face-wise was thinking something 50% Furry but more pronounced muzzle like a Donskoy

started bulking out the arms and working on the hands; not sure how paw-like ill go for.
debating going for longer trousers rather than shorts, need to add more hair and rework those eyes as they pop out a bit too much!

Build Your Imagination

Van Helser

Lovely sense of dynamism here. Can't help but feel that weapon is too heavy and brutal looking for a lithe character like this one though.

Ruaridh

TallulahBelle

I know it's an old post hut to update gl those who weren't at the GT we finally decided on a balisong (butterfly knife) open mid spin in her hands to accompany the sense of dynamism in the pose.

TallulahBelle

Bumping a very old thread she will be reposted as a painted model soon shes in the hands of a friend who will do her justice.

Also... Gav, did the money ever get picked up by you I sent it through paypal but it sort of floated in limbo for ages and I cant see if it ever actually was confirmed? And iv since changed banks so cant go back and check if not let me know and il resend it.

Sorry its been so long iv been a bit put of it im on allot of painkillers at the moment and so stuff... Kind of blurs.

RobSkib

Gosh that's very lovely, wonderful sense of dynamism. I saw a different variant of the weapon in another thread, do you have updated pics?

An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

greenstuff_gav

the final tweak before she was delivered was to swap the sword for a butterfly knife;

be nice to see how she looks painted :D

..erm.. no, i never got it *cough* ;)
actually the money was received and spent on silicone :lol:
part of that silicone was used to cast Inquisitor Vale but only lasted three, maybe four copies before it's pretty knackered :(

Build Your Imagination

TallulahBelle

good good coz I felt really guilty coz... I couldn't ever find a listing on my PayPal for it. I wanted to make sure I paid at least what I had promised and even then I feel she is worth more than I paid. I have posted her on a couple of places now in preparation for her to be revealed painted and have her awesomeness fully revealed to the world. She also now has a background fleshed out which I will post over the next week including the special rules for her Saboteur charges that surprised those trying to get the Webway gate back up and running *grins* as well as a request for help with how to get her Balisong fleshed out in rule form.

after September I will have to grab you to discuss my other concept since you did so amazingly getting Dimi out of my head and into greenstuff.

I cannot recommend @Greenstuff_Gav enough to work with on a custom piece!!!

@Robskib she really is isn't she, I really wanted something different and dynamic as most characters I have seen in INQ don't seem to have the sense of movement that fit what I saw in my head. Gav needs to take all the credit as he took her from about 5 PM's worth of discussion after a conversation at an event and a sprinkling of links for what I saw as key pieces of her look, (The bag and the blade mainly) and turned a character I've never dared try to fit to the tabletop into a beautiful display piece.

sadly she's mainly been used as a Shadowrun PC as opposed to her real home stealing hidden files and unlocking hard to access doors in the secret war for the Emperor's soul but hopefully she will see play soon.