Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Could I use this?

Started by mcjomar, February 25, 2016, 01:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcjomar

Okay, so here's my 54mm version of my Inquisitor Gideon Lorr model (yes he'll be renamed as a unique character, no worries).
They're of a similar height, maybe a couple mm taller.
So we could suggest they're about 6 foot tall maybe a little more, very leggy, but a little thinner than usual (hence why I need to grab some IG cadian spares to use to give them weapons and gubbins).

I'm guessing femshep on the left will be carapace armour or similar to barbaretta (in my head anyway).
I'm thinking femshep will be holding a laspistol in her hand and have a lasgun strapped across her back (lascarbine at this scale? or barbaretta shottie might work better - I'll need to grab one off ebay)

I'm thinking of covering her in pouches, maybe a purity seal or two.
Hilariously, a classic 2nd ed bolter is in scale for the femshep model as well, even at 54mm scale.
Not that I'm going to use it - I'm not that nuts.
Although in fairness I haven't got a warband for either of these ladies just yet - I'm still mulling that one over.

Lucretia's head is too large for them though I'm afraid.
In fact most of the Inquisitor range will be too large, except for Jena's pistol/head, and possibly Barbarettas shotgun.
They're of comparable size with severina, and even she's slightly too big by a mm or two.

Neither of these are Kusanagi - she's on my "to investigate" list.

I'll admit I'm loathe to modify femshep too much, as the sculpt is just so nice and clean. And I don't trust my ability to sculpt a fleur-de-lis.

As for the cerberus on the right, she's mostly good as is. some belt pouches, a holster, and some obviously imperial weapons should be enough for her to work as is, I think.
Laspistol and a catachan sword, plus space marine commander pistol holster (for an in-scale stubber) and some belt pouches should be enough - I might even dare to sculpt a belt. Err, maybe, I mean magnets work in the future, right?  ::)
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Lord Borak

Thanks for the scale shot. I think I'm going to grab the one on the right. A shame it doesn't come with a bare head - I'll have to sculpt my own :S

mcjomar

I'm sort of liking the helmet look currently.  It gives her an 'operative under cover' look
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

mcjomar

From left to right:
The Operative, the Agent, and the Soldier

The Operative carries a sword, laspistol (1 reload) and stubber (two reloads).
The Agent carries a laspistol with some reloads and????
The Soldier carries a lasgun, laspistol, stubber, reloads aplenty, short sword, two smoke grenades, and stuff.

I'm debating the wisdom of attaching a sword (catachan sheathed long knife) to the Agent, but that seems a little... excessive. Looks pretty cool, but... errr.
On the other hand, it's cool.

On the Soldier I'm making a stab at giving her lasgun (cadian guardsman, probably more of a lascarbine really) straps.
I've got plenty of purity seals if I still need to detail obscuring.

I'm loathe to attach anything else to the Operative though, I really want to keep the core look of the bodyglove.

For the Agent, I'm largely open to suggestions.
The head is borrowed from the femshep model, but even though it's the same scale, I'm only, about 80% convinced by it, but I think it's because the laspistol looks massive.

The previously linked female pilots have arrived and look to be in comparable scale to the degree that I'm comfortable throwing the femshep helmet head onto the body of the navy pilots, so I now have a spare navy pilot head (the wavy windy hair one) to throw onto another body - I'm thinking a second Cerberus Operative body, because damn it all that would just look cool, and give me an excuse for more work with that sculpt. I've even got a sword and holstered stubber (borrowed from space marine kits) set aside for the task - the sword is borrowed from the cybernative powersword arm from the cadian command sprue, so while it'll probably be a normal sword, it's up in the air whether or not I'll decide she has an augmetic hand.
We'll see how that all turns out.

blacknight

I must saying loving these models.  And I get what you say about not overly 40king them up so you don't loose the original detail.  I had the same issue a few years ago when I got one of the Eloith miniatures and was going to convert it to a guardswoman, didn't have the heart to cut it up so it end up as is for a statue.....

The look of the body glove is interesting and I think I might have just found the basis for my celexus.  (can never have too many imperial assassins).

Scale wise i think the laspistol on the operative and the agent both look a little too big and chunky.  For a slightly finer las pistol see if you can get the one from the baneblade sprue, it is a more refined laspistol than that which comes with the normal cadians.

looking forward to seeing some paint on these, what colours are you planning?

Regards

Marc/blacknight

Well you can do what you want, the technical branch are going to stay here and keep her afloat!! - Diesel CPO Otto Fricke, U505, Nov 10 1942 - On being ordered to abandon ship.

mcjomar

I'm thinking greys and deep reds for the Agent, maybe either similar colours, or a deep blue for the operative.
For the soldier, I'm less sure.

RE: the laspistols, I'm not sure how much smaller I could go.
Imperial weapons tend to be chunky as it is, and with resin I'm less sure than I would be with the usual GW White Metal minis.
I'll take a look though.

E: yeah, even when I set it to worldwide, there's nothing but standard IG parts of varying sources.
Cadian, catachan, or the new ones.

In fairness I quite prefer cadian laspistols anyway.
But for the agent, the resin model comes with both hands clasped together around the grip, which makes things a little fiddly.

Lord Borak

What ever you do, don't go for a grey-black scheme for the Operative... because that's how I plan to paint mine ;) You convinced me to grab one and it's nice to see that the guard hands fit perfectly on her. It helps me out with weapon options no end!

The conversions are looking nice by the way. I especially like the 'Soldier'. How does the Inquisitor scale Lasgun scale against her?

mcjomar

Welp on femshep, the guard issue lasgun looks approximately close to scale.
But when when you compare her to other Inquisitor models, it's a noticeable difference.
I'd say stat it up as a lascarbine, range E, 2d6, shots 40, weight 20, etc.
Barbaretta's shotgun really is the better choice though, as Marco said - I just couldn't get one easily. I might remodel later, if I can snag one though.

RE: the operative, I was thinking black and grey maybe. However, I like my deep blues, so I might go Regal Blue and a dark grey.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on March 18, 2016, 10:31:33 PMThe head is borrowed from the femshep model, but even though it's the same scale, I'm only, about 80% convinced by it, but I think it's because the laspistol looks massive.
The issue may be the neck - it's a bit long.

I'm also not completely convinced by the purity seal on the Operative, as it seems like an odd combo with the stealthy look (although I'm not really able to articulate why at this time of night).

Other than that, everything looks fairly good.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Yeah I've been thinking that as well.
I might pop it off, and clean up the residue.
And yeah, the neck is a little long - when I tried to set the head to fit, the neck was a little short so I lengthened it a little. It might be out by a millimetre, or a fraction thereof.

mcjomar

I've shortened the neck a little.
I've also slightly converted the three navy pilots I got from china.
I'm going for minimal alterations, as again I quite like the sculpts.
I've also cleaned off the purity seal from the Operative.

Lord Borak

The man has a thing for the ladies! Nice conversions. The models look very dainty next to the arbite and I never realised how big covenants head was!

The Navy pilots look fine but all the poses are very similar. Consider converting them up a bit to make them look a bit more unique. It looks like the pistol arms comes separate so even just having that in a different position.

mcjomar

Yeah, they're largely similar - the one in the middle is only slightly different to the other two.

The arms are separate, but the way they glue onto the model is largely the same.
I might be able to break one off - I'm thinking the helmeted one, as the one in the middle is my favourite as is.
The one with long hair has a cadian belt instead, rather than a knife in hand as she's supposed to have both hands on her belt instead.
Not sure if I should mess with the long haired lady.

mcjomar