Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Wick Does 54mm

Started by Alyster Wick, July 13, 2014, 10:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

Been a while, (literally) dusted off the ol' models to try and put together a couple full warbands to go with the terrain project (the goal being to play a full game with painted terrain and minis).

First up, finally finished Magos Biologis Ganymede:

Right side

Left side

Some Progress on my Namesake:

Some work on a chaos acolyte gifted by the gods (and surgeon):

Some work on the Nomad. Experimented with his skin tone, not super happy. He looks kinda like John Boehner:

Back

Right Side

Heroka Vendile

all looking very good so far  :)
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

I shall echo Euan, as while I don't have very much to add (although I do like the Nomad's skin tone, even if you don't), I don't want you to think it's gone unnoticed.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

Only one minor criticism of the Magos is that the upper right arm doesn't look like it's taking the weight of the flamer. Does that make sense? The flamer looks like it's being held aloft too easily, as if it's very light.

Ruaridh

Alyster Wick

Thanks for the comments!

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on July 14, 2014, 12:50:52 PM
(although I do like the Nomad's skin tone, even if you don't)

You know it's growing on me. I was trying to do something a little different as I tend to have a lot of craggily white dudes with the occassional racially ambiguous mutant. My initial reaction was "wow, faux tan" but I'm gradually beginning to like it.

Quote from: Van Helser on July 15, 2014, 09:07:24 AM
Only one minor criticism of the Magos is that the upper right arm doesn't look like it's taking the weight of the flamer. Does that make sense? The flamer looks like it's being held aloft too easily, as if it's very light.

Ruaridh

Fair point. His arm is huge but the 28mm SM hand is rather small. You can chalk that up to laziness when I was modeling, shouldn't have taken so many short cuts. That can go onto the "to fix list" along with his woefully undersized holster, but first things first I want to paint up the five or six models that have been languishing for years with a base coat. Then there's the matter of my shelf of pieces that need one or two more mods before they can be basecoated, then the barely assembled, then the piles of bits that look good together. Sigh. (good problems to have I suppose)

Anyway, so as to not leave you all with nothing shiny, I only have the coat, hair and gubbins left on Alyster (though I may revisit his red coat):

Alyster Wick

Eesh, been a while. Here are some WIPs. Also, I just realized there are some new painted pieces I never bothered to post, will have to rectify that tomorrow:

As yet unnamed Acolyte -

Skitari Warrior Yang:

Van Helser

Interesting conversions. The mask on the acolyte looks really good.

Ruaridh

seaglen

Love the Skitaari - the head is very original.

what are you running the gun as in games?

Heroka Vendile

nice conversions – for me though I think the skitarrii's head looks like it could do with a tiny bit more bulk, especially at the back, at the moment it looks too robotic to me.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Alyster Wick

Quote from: seaglen on November 10, 2014, 12:12:20 PM
what are you running the gun as in games?

Pre-backpack it had been a long-las (in her one appearance on the table). Honestly I don't recall her firing it, as her most remarkable feat of the game was jump-kicking an NPC in the face and sending him flying off a raised platform. It was a real show-stealer.

Moving forward it'll be a hellgun (if/when I dig up the rules for hellguns).

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on November 10, 2014, 02:58:47 PM
nice conversions – for me though I think the skitarrii's head looks like it could do with a tiny bit more bulk, especially at the back, at the moment it looks too robotic to me.

I'm playing around with ways to add pseudo-mechanical dreadlocks. Damien's flails fit the bill well but it's hard to make them flow well given the proximity of the backpack. I may experiment with guitar wire, perhaps if I'm feeling adventurous I'll try some GS. Thanks for mentioning though, her head could use some work. I'm not entirely opposed to how it is now since it's not so small as to be comical, but small enough to appear as though some organic elements have been removed to facilitate mechanical bits.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have more pics later today.

Alyster Wick

Bit longer than expected, but I took that advice and added more gubbins to the head. Not only am I happier with the result, but the new bits have added a lot more to the character of the model.

Next up I have some of my mutant/hive scum models. Not 100% sure they'll have a place in upcoming war bands, but they'll definitely see some play as fancier NPCs:

And finally, I'm looking to rerun the scenario I detailed in my "Hunt in the Underhive" battle report, but this time with a much more interesting foe. Here he is, very early on. As you can tell, this "Experimental Praetorian" definitely has some parts from non-sanctioned sources...

And his gun. I'm counting this as an Imperial version of a gauss flayer (using the rules from the actual rule book). I'm pretty happy with it as the piece melds very identifiable Necron and Imperial aesthetics.

Heroka Vendile

The extra bits on Yang's head really help break up the silhouette. The mutants look great too, I believe that's the first time I've ever seen someone do a foot-swap on Damien legs to give them boots.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Van Helser

I do like those NPC muties a lot. Best part is the attention to detail on the bases. All that junk really finishes a model off.

Ruaridh

Alyster Wick

Since I've always enjoyed the conversion end more than painting, I had forced myself to finish the NPCs before moving onto anything else. As that project is rather far behind me (and I'll just be shifting the White Rat over to this thread as he's more character-y anyway) I'm going to toss up a shot of my current projects. These five are ready for undercoating (though they are not from the same warband, they're an assortment of adding to old warbands and starting new ones).

Anyway, you're all here for the pics ;)

Van Helser

What a gorgeous collection of freaks. I would love to get close up shots of Mr Flamer and Mr Tubes.

Ruaridh