Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Wick Does 54mm

Started by Alyster Wick, July 13, 2014, 10:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Alyster Wick on February 17, 2015, 01:11:37 AMSince I've always enjoyed the conversion end more than painting
I've always had almost exactly the same problem.

Anyway... much though I like Reaper's Belladonna as a model (she's definitely got the Escher vibe going), is there nothing you had in mind to individualise her up a bit? The bare model just seems a bit out of place in amongst all your other creative converting.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 17, 2015, 12:30:44 PM
much though I like Reaper's Belladonna as a model (she's definitely got the Escher vibe going), is there nothing you had in mind to individualise her up a bit? The bare model just seems a bit out of place in amongst all your other creative converting.

I go back and forth on this. She's a great model and quite unlike anything else I have at the moment, so I didn't feel that bad not converting her. I considered chopping off her head and swapping out a Severina/Sevora head, but the way her hair flows makes that a bit of a chore, both cleanly removing it, sanding down the armor it used to cover, etc, and the actual transplant, which would require resculpting significant parts of the hair.

The other side is that I didn't have much that I wanted to do to the model, I liked her personality as is and didn't want to convert her just for the sake of it. I am still a little torn, as she may well be the only stock model in my collection.

Quote from: Van Helser on February 17, 2015, 11:41:43 AM
What a gorgeous collection of freaks. I would love to get close up shots of Mr Flamer and Mr Tubes.

Ruaridh

Asked and delivered!

Mr. Tubes is an MIU implanted servitor for one of my Techpriests (who is a bit of a coward). Long story short, over the last few games it became clear that Narciss (the techpriest in question) was lacking reliable help in the defense department and it just didn't fit him. Enter this fellow. He's a living force field generator that has a rather nasty attack capability (once I get to writing the rules). My plan is to use the shield generator rules from one of the early Fanatic articles and to add a dynamic in where the servitor can "use energy" meant for the shield to generate a powerful attack. In this instance, the tech priest would probably use actions to manually operate the servitor via MIU (from the fantastic Techpriest article generated from this forum, kudos to whoever wrote it, was it Kaled?). Anyway, enough of that.

No specific plans for this guy. Over time I kept hacking him up and reposing him and I'm pretty happy with how he turned out. Been meaning to make a flamer-armed fellow for a while now.

seaglen

Love both these guys. very interesting concept for the living shield generator!

my only comment would be to maybe change the space marine shoulder pads - just a personal taste thing, but I always think they look a little out of place on 54mm miniatures (maybe just that they are so iconic of the marines, its hard for me to see them as anything else!)

Van Helser

Thanks for the pics. I see now that the base model for Mr Tubes is an ogre. I really do like the the eye/visor. The shield-generator is a cool concept. Oh, and it was Kaled that wrote the Ad Mech article.

Mr Flamer looks like he has a bit of a bare chest. Any plans for further details?

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Alyster Wick on February 17, 2015, 02:16:43 PMThe other side is that I didn't have much that I wanted to do to the model, I liked her personality as is and didn't want to convert her just for the sake of it.
Fair enough. It's not common, but I've been in a similar case a few times, where there's a model I just like as it is.

I've sometimes ended up buying two copies in this case - one to convert, one to paint - although they usually have to be fairly cheap if I'm doing that.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

Reviving my 54mm thread and putting up some better pics of my Storm of Brushes efforts.

Group shot!

Better shot of Quentin:

]Left side[/url]
]Back[/url]
]Right side[/url]

Droog:

]Left side[/url]
]Back[/url]
]Right side[/url]

King Gogol:

Here's a terrible picture that shows a better view of the blood decorations. During battle, the Gogol clan covers there right hand in the blood of their first kill and puts it to their chest (thus the bloody hand print). He also drew a bloody grin on his face. You can also see blood covering Gogol's right hand. As Borak pointed out in another thread, it looks like his third grader put lipstick on him. I'm up in the air, I kind of like the crazy look. It is also totally accidental that he ended up looking like the Joker. Anyway, more shots:

]Left side[/url]
]Back[/url]
]Right side[/url]

Now, I finally cleared two models out of my queue that have been languishing, almost finished, for a couple years. Here's the newly renamed Khal Doman (partially adapted from the old Nomad name):

Here's a better shot of the tattoo. I was mostly really, really happy with it but the eyes and nose got a little messy. I learned some valuable lessons and it's good enough for me.

]Left side[/url]
]Back[/url]
]Right side[/url]

Now here are a couple shots of Investigator Mycroft (also newly renamed). Not much is new, just polished off a few details with the gun and hair.

Also, I couldn't help but throw in a shot of Cyclos in the pose of that iconic shot from the Inquisitor Rulebook (all credit to Gav for the brilliant sculpt):

Heroka Vendile

It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Dullmohawk

Ooo, shiney new pics of your muties and valiant heroes! They look good, I'm loving Gogol (also, really digging the name, Gogol is a favourite author of mine). I don't think I've seen Slicks torso on the Damian legs before, and it makes a lot more sense than I had figured it would.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

Alyster Wick

Had a few minis almost through conversion phase that I've finally finished up. Here's my Xenos Inquisitor:

Super happy with her. Looking forward to getting her painted up.

And here's her creepy psycher:

I'm making teams of two to start out for a potential campaign. This pair are part of a radical Xenos faction, they'll be gaining a crazy mechanicus warrior with a TBD tech virus. It'll be unclear whether it's necron or obliterator related, but she'll be fun :)

Finally, I tore up this Praetorian and started again from scratch. Those with a keen memory will recognize it as the former Sychophant Praetorian from a few years back. Before:

After:

Really excited about how he's shaping up. This guy will be the one PC I work on over the weekend while I'm otherwise occupied w/ the NPC thread. I am left in a quandary though, as right before I decided to tear him apart I finished his old base:

It was supposed to be a marble floor with some cracking from his weight. He was intended to be in a group of folks with matching marble bases, which won't exactly fit into the warband I intend to put him now. So at this point I have a giant base that looks like marble (well, as close to marble as I can manage right now anyway) and no model to put on it. I'll figure something out to put there eventually...

Lord Borak

The Inquisitor looks fantastic. The necron arms really scale up well for her. The Servitor thing looks pretty epic as well. I was trying to think of ways to make some Servitor Bodyguards for my Magos and I think I'm going to have to pinch your idea as I have about 12 sentinels sitting about in bits.

Redsunz2000

Hi Alyster, some awesome conversions there. What model is your female Xenos Inquisitor based on?
David
Playing Gorkamorka for the laughs; Mordheim and Inquisitor for the dark and sinister.

Alyster Wick

Quote from: Redsunz2000 on July 21, 2015, 05:58:17 PM
Hi Alyster, some awesome conversions there. What model is your female Xenos Inquisitor based on?
David

Reaper's Master Series Finari, Crusader Heroine (54mm). I believe there's a 28mm version as well, so make sure if you order her to get the 54mm one!

Speaking of which, I have some paint on her and her acolyte. I'm on the road for an extended work trip and managed to bring some minis and paint. My picture isn't the greatest, but oh well, I'm happy enough to be making progress. I'm experimenting with white undercoats, different base coats, heavier inking/more painting stages, and metallics (or at least using metallics for more than just a random weapon here and there). Mixed feelings so far, hopefully once they're finished things will come together. In the meantime, any progress is good progress!

Cortez

I like your conversion of Finari. I've considered getting that model to use for some time as I've always liked Reapers Master Series stuff (shame they seem to have given up with the range), but was never sure what to do with her. What arms did you use for her bionics?

Alyster Wick

Quote from: Cortez on September 21, 2015, 02:42:34 PM
What arms did you use for her bionics?

Necron Deathmarks. It's a great kit and as soon as I find the time I'm going to be using those bits on a variety of conversions. I'm convinced that one of the torsos can be bulked up with only minor conversion and used to make a tall spindly techpriest that'll actually fit the range decently well.

RobSkib

*ebays Necron Deathmarks*

There's some great stuff here - it seems like I go away for a bit and everyone gets much better at painting! Tell me, what is your Ordo Xenos Inquisitor's gun made of? I can't place the bits...
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.