Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Wick Does 54mm

Started by Alyster Wick, July 13, 2014, 10:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

Plugged away at Mr. Tubes for a while today (haven't been getting as much Inquisitor paint time recently). While I'm happy with everything so far on a technical level, I'm realizing that the color scheme I selected was less pale adMech and more grungy nurgle. It doesn't help that he's cyclopean. I'm hoping that I can reverse this with some tattoos and the lighting effects that'll come from his shoulder things, belly-orb, and left arm thing.

Lord Borak

He's looking great. The skin looks like the part of a mechanicum servitor. AS soon as you start putting other colours on there it will probably start looking less Nurgly. At the moment the tubes are looking a bit  tentacle-like which is probably what's giving it that look. Maybe, if it still bothers you once he's done, you could repaint them in metallics?

Alyster Wick

Quote from: Lord Borak on March 21, 2016, 12:21:51 PM
At the moment the tubes are looking a bit  tentacle-like which is probably what's giving it that look. Maybe, if it still bothers you once he's done, you could repaint them in metallics?

Confession time, I over-weathered 60% of the cables (that do have metallic bases). Once most of them are highlighted up I think it'll fix the problem. However, there are two cables that I wanted to try and make look organic to give a gross overall feel to the mini. Specifically I wanted them to look fleshy (and fresh!) in a way that was healthier than his actual skin. I really want to put some dark blue veins in the two fleshy tubes (I trust it's clear which ones I'm talking about) to see if that helps. It might only make matters worse. Blue should be a healthy vein color. Meh.

We'll see, I'm hopeful that the electric-blue orbs/pyramids of power will sort things out. Jury is still out on the color-glass for his viewing port. I'm thinking of going for a dusty yellowish/orange. I'm open to suggestion, I just don't want to do more blue (though I could see clear to doing a high contrast blue-ish grey).

ALSO POLLING: Should he get a barcode on the back of his head or perhaps a cog? I could try a mechanicus skull w/ "barcode" teeth? My major reservation with barcodes is that a couple minis have them on their left should (because they spent time in the Sector's penal system, and that's how prisoners are marked) so it's already kind of a thing.

Alyster Wick

So I tried an experiment with "lighting" and it went terribly. I'm considering applying a few coats of dark blue wash then (if it causes the lighting to fade enough) highlighting it up from there. But yeah, I applied a variety of techniques in slapdash fashion and I hate it right now (though the "gun" and the shoulder pyramids aren't terribly, the belly-orb is just way too distracting).

Anyway, pictures!

And here he is with his master:

Lord Borak

For an idea, here's a link to a similar effect that you could use on the shoulder things.

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/attachments/projects/55418d1454967462-zentradis-wip-spiderf.jpg

It's not my work, just a chap I know from another Forum (yes, I feel like throwing my models in the bin every time he posts).

I'd also have a look at this thread on how to do lighting effects. It will be a good idea for the orbs and maybe point you in the right direction.

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/?topic=10116.0

I've always found that, with lightning, you should keep the actual lightning as thing as possible.  You can start blending black through to dark blue from far away but keep those light blue highlights to an absolute minimum. You only want to use pure white as 'dots' or very fine lines at the source of the lightning or where it hits something. Take a look a real lightning to get a better idea....it might help to decipher my ramblings.

Alyster Wick

Quote from: Lord Borak on March 27, 2016, 11:08:02 PM
For an idea, here's a link to a similar effect that you could use on the shoulder things.

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/attachments/projects/55418d1454967462-zentradis-wip-spiderf.jpg

It's not my work, just a chap I know from another Forum (yes, I feel like throwing my models in the bin every time he posts).

Thanks for all your advice and links. I must say, I also want to throw this thing in the bin seeing the Warp Spider lighting effect. While I wasn't able to replicate it (and honestly that is exactly what I'd want to do under ideal circumstances) I feel MUCH better now:

I ran out of steam to do all eight panels of the pyramids, but I feel I'm on much better footing now. I'll probably do far fewer stages in the panels just because there's a lot less space to actually blend, so those should go quicker some time later in the week.

Lord Borak

That is a vast improvement. The lightning on the gun/weapon/shooty-thing looks great. He looks far less Nurgly with the blue on there by the way.

Van Helser

The difference between the two pictures is great. The lightning effect looks vastly better now.