Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Another Terrain project..

Started by seaglen, September 04, 2014, 02:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

Looks great so far. I'll be watching this with keen interest, as I have a box full of those panels and some foamcore board waiting to do this exact thing. How're you planning to embellish the plain surfaces?

seaglen

QuoteI have a box full of those panels
- that makes me jealous - I could do with more!

I have recently ordered some plasticard sheets at varying thickness - anyone have an idea of optimum thickness for building walls?
and also some textured sheets found here: www.ema-models.co.uk

I will be embellishing with all manner of GW bitz and textured panels to create a suitably gothic/industiral aesthetic.

seaglen

Update on the first building!

after a load of plasticard and bitz arrived, I started working on basing the whole thing on a plasticard floor (makes it easier to glue the whole thing together):

This and the walls is made of 3mm plasticard - which on second thoughts is actually quite rigid and a little hard to cut...
After adding all walls, and popping on some corrugated textuerd platicard sheeting, the whole thing started to take shape:

I then added a ladder (think this is from the LoTR set but seem great scale for Inquisitor) and the beginnings of the LED light made from the Killa Kan's foot.

The idea for these LEDs is to give a little atmosphere - I am planning to have a few dotted in and around buildings, just to throw different light around.

I then added some plasticard walls to the roof panel, and a little brass etch decal to the other wall:

Comments welcome!

Inquisitor Dionzi

SKYFALL MINIATURES

Alyster Wick

This is looking really great. How are you planning to handle moving within the buildings? That always seems to be the stickiest wicket, generally just leading to me either fudging indoor movement ("your model disappears and we'll ballpark how far they move through") or having the building be inaccessible. While the fudging method works decently well, I've yet to have two characters come into direct conflict in a building, which I suppose would be somewhat anticlimactic.

Anyway, interested to see the progress!

seaglen

Thanks for the comments!

Alyster , I am looking to make all my buildings (well most of at least) with removable roofs and interiors too.

Although anticlimactic it could be, I actually like the idea of a pretty intense melee in the interior of a room/bar/warehouse, and especially like the idea that I will be able to place models inside and have them visible through windows etc to enable shooting in/out...

I've got a little update on the way soon, constructing a second building to be a small chapel.
Are my pictures not displaying correctly also?

thanks!

seaglen

Quick update- started a bit of work on the chapel.

Alyster Wick

Chapel is looking good. After my NPC painting marathon this is making me want to get back to the terrain game. Your pieces are simple yet effective.

Just curious, I'd always thought that plasticard would be ideal for making walls but the price of foamcore made me feel obligated to use it (anything else just seemed wasteful and extravagant). At this point though, what you've put together just looks much cleaner (plus there's no danger in spray painting it). Do you feel it's worth it? Also, when will we see some paint!

seaglen

Thanks for the feedback!

With the plasticard, I think its definitely worth it, but yes it is more pricey.

Good point on the below - does it spray OK?? - ive not tried yet, as its a styrene based plasitc. Would this not melt a little?
anyone have some experience in this?

As soon as I have an answer the paint will go on!

There has been a little bit more progress on the chapel over the past few days -

as with the other buillding the roof will be removeable to allow movement inside - replete with shrine to the God-Emperor.

seaglen

Another update on the Chapel - Ive added two ladders to give access to the middle and upper levels now:

This should help give a little height to the buildings.

I just need to figure out how to top the building off - spire or top piece suggestions would be appreciated!

This is the birds eye view of the building, with the ability to remove the roof shown:

This interior will be made to look like a humble chapel with a shrine at the far end of the room.
Should be a good place to hide a relic, or find a sacred book etc...

Added some details to the outside:

I may add some purity seals or other imperial details to these areas at some point...

Alyster Wick

Nice progress!

Quote from: seaglen on February 16, 2015, 04:47:16 PM

I just need to figure out how to top the building off - spire or top piece suggestions would be appreciated!

Why not throw on a pulpit facing outward? It's a relatively small chapel/shrine, why not have it be a small place of study that serves as a massive platform for a sermon preached to the masses outside? This is nice on many fronts, as it gives an air of drama and is also functional. You could have a scenario where a preacher actually preaches from it, or it's a nice sniper's roost, or it could be a good highpoint from which to signal the chopper/Valkyrie/whatever.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: seaglen on February 14, 2015, 09:23:34 PMdoes it spray OK?? - ive not tried yet, as its a styrene based plasitc.
It sprays just fine. While expanded and extruded polystyrene are eaten quite aggressively by the HFCs in aerosols, plasticard is much the same as the solid plastic GW use. While the HFCs are still theoretically a solvent, it's being a foam that allows them to be absorbed and really do the mischief.

My Rhino is mostly plasticard, and came out fine from the aerosol undercoat. (In fact, it's mostly still in that black primer).

~~~~~

Anyway, this is all looking very good.

I'm a little envious, as I've got to be quite sparing with my stack of plasticard. While my last order was for about 10 kilos of the stuff, there's quite a lot of rather large vehicles that are supposed to be coming out of that pile and having to restock wouldn't be cheap...
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

Looking really good. If I had one tiny suggestion it would be to add a little more texture to the plasticard walls. Even a couple of stone blocks spread around the surface would do the trick.

Ruaridh

seaglen

Many thanks for the feedback!

Well I have now started spraying the first building up, and as MarcoSkoll mentioned - its come up fine! pictures to follow.

Quotewhere a preacher actually preaches from it, or it's a nice sniper's roost
- I really like the idea of a sniper scenario - I'd need to make some tall towers for that one...

I was thinking of scattering some fine sand on the surfaces to give a little more texture, so hopefully this will do the trick.

seaglen

Here are the pics of the sprayed building:

I added some sand scattered around to give a bit of texture - any ideas for colour schemes on the buildings?

I then started planning a little more of the chapel's interior - I am thinking wooden flooring and a shrine at the far end:

And, being a sucker for starting too many projects at one time (the original plasma generator is still on its way to completion..) I decided to throw together a tower for sniping scenarios too! - thanks Alyster Wick!