Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

NPC Plog!

Started by Alyster Wick, September 14, 2014, 11:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

Quote from: RobSkib on April 07, 2015, 09:57:01 PM
I'm a big fan of your zombies and your PDF. The Russian Tehnolog models always amuse me for their comicbook villain stance and I think you did a good job with what you had!

I loved the Ratskins in their WIP stage but I feel a bit underwhelmed seeing their colour scheme.

That's very much for the color wheel suggestions! Honestly I've always struggled with color coordination a bit (unfortunately this carries over to my wardrobe as well...) so it's nice to have that guide. Initially I was going for an eclectic and patched together looked w/ the Ratskins (as though they scavenges much of the fancier stuff that they have) but it just didn't come out quite right. Once I finish painting up the models on my plate I'll have to give it another try.

Quote from: Van Helser on March 24, 2015, 10:46:48 AM

When will the White Rat be done?

Ruaridh

He is freshly undercoated, and depending on how productive I am once I hit vacation next Friday he may get done (he's the first in line after I finish my Storm of Brushes projects).

Beyond that, I'm reviving this thread (it's on the first page so it doesn't count as threadromancy!) since I realized that Tehnolog models are up on Amazon and I still had a decent amount of money on an Amazon gift card from Christmas. So, yeah, I have ten more models in the mail... (all of which will add to my general hive/interstellar ship population).

On that note, I still have some cash left and am looking into getting more of the Space Pirates (my PDF troopers above) just so I could field a larger group and keep my unique characters only playing when they're actually representing themselves. If you've interested in splitting the box (or trading some Orky bitz  ;D) PM me to hash out the details.

Alyster Wick

I have 4 completed NPCs that need to be painted. My Master Hunter-Killer, two combat servitors/skitari, and the White Rat. Given that I have 20 Tehnolog minis in the mail, I need to get a move on!

On that note, behold the Master Hunter-Killer!

He gave me an opportunity to test out the white and red schemes that I want to use on the other mechanicus NPCs (who don't have fancy reflective cloaking material built into their systems). Strictly speaking that means he can change the shade of his entire body other than his shoulder pads and thigh pads, but oh well, it looks better this way (rule of cool strikes again!).

I'm pretty happy for him. got to experiment with a few different techniques without the pressure of working on PCs. Pretty happy with the results overall.

Also, I'm probably not going to use all of the Tehnolog minis, so if anyone is interested in bartering for some orky bits (I need basic arms and some nob arms/guns would be great) PM me.

Alyster Wick

Once I ice of the paint on my current NPCs I'm going to be reviving my PC Plog, so I figured I'd combine my terrain efforts w/ the NPC thread.

That said, the first wave of Tehnolog figures arrived today! Here they are assembled on the top of the tower (preconversion)

Here they are spread out in a dramatic (staged) trans-floor fire-fight!

The individual levels are not connected so they can be four different buildings (or any combination of buildings and floor that you want). I don't have any tables large enough for big sprawling games so I figured that I'd give myself the option "sprawling" in the up direction. That will be the theme of my next round of terrain (along with some miscellaneous walls and rubble for cover. Right now scatter terrain is really the only "fortification" terrain I have).

That first pic is totally pre-embellishment. Here's my first test building. I'm going to paint it up and see how it looks after the thing dries tomorrow. Cheers!

Dullmohawk

It's looking great already! The tower idea is brilliant, consider it stolen. What sort of paste have you used for the walls?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arcadiansmugglers/photos/album/906840101/pic/list  <--- Bits to trade? Check out my Arcadian Smuggler Album!

Alyster Wick

Elmer's brand Wood Filler Max. It takes a little getting used to but once you do it goes on quick. Really cheap and simple way to protect the styrofoam while adding heft and texture. I'm pretty sure any wood filler would do though, just swing by your local hardware store.

Van Helser

Building up when you have limited gaming space? Why didn't I think of that?! I may have to spend this summer constructing a tower of perilous drops and few guard rails...

The Hunter-Killer paints up well. I hadn't yet contemplated buying that particular set as I wasn't sure how well they would fit in, but you've achieved something good with a lowish quality starting point.

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Alyster Wick on June 06, 2015, 09:07:15 PMThe individual levels are not connected so they can be four different buildings (or any combination of buildings and floor that you want).
I may well steal this simple, yet versatile concept.

Things like the hunter-killer are looking good too. It's actually quite effectively menacing as a model in that black colour scheme.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Aurelius

Quote from: Alyster Wick on June 06, 2015, 09:07:15 PM
The individual levels are not connected so they can be four different buildings (or any combination of buildings and floor that you want). I don't have any tables large enough for big sprawling games so I figured that I'd give myself the option "sprawling" in the up direction.

Well there you go - what a clever idea! Are you going to make ladders or something to go between floors, or have 'lift' entry doors at each level?
Ever since watching the new Dredd, I have thought vertical terrain pieces would be a great idea. Never really considered the space saving before, but now that you have said it seems like a really clever solution!

Alyster Wick

Still WIP, but here's a shot of the board I put together using my first test building and some catwalks (so I can connect them all!). Overall, I'm incredibly happy. Most of the action in this game took place on the second levels (battle report here: http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2555.msg34412#new) and it was just a great success.

Quote from: Aurelius on June 11, 2015, 04:19:36 AM
Are you going to make ladders or something to go between floors, or have 'lift' entry doors at each level?

I'm going to take a crack at some streamlined rules for being in the building, with an option for using stairs inside or a lift. Ideally you could actually place models inside, but having a 4 story building with actual floor plans would be too difficult.

For moving between levels on the outdoor platforms I'm going to put together some ladders and (at some point in the future) modular staircases. But that's long term, I'm wanting to make more models right now and have plenty of terrain for gaming, so we'll see how much terrain I get done (though I have a fancy bridge that I started on a lark to connect the buildings, that may force me to make at least one more building so I can actually use the darn thing. I'm far too pleased with myself, will share it as soon as it's in workable order).

Quote from: Van Helser on June 09, 2015, 10:16:45 AM
The Hunter-Killer paints up well. I hadn't yet contemplated buying that particular set as I wasn't sure how well they would fit in, but you've achieved something good with a lowish quality starting point.

Ruaridh

The Hunter Killer base model(s) are not great, but they were the third set in a box that was about $20. The other two sets of 5 were the zombie-mutants (a classic, as I know you're aware) and the ones I used to make my ratskins, so frankly they were a bonus. Considering I expected nothing I am quite happy with how they turned out.

Alyster Wick

Some updates! First, here are the AdMech Servitors/Skitari/Kill Team Members:

Back:

I'm not totally sold on the crosshairs of the skull-headed fellow, but it'll do for now. Here's the full group together:

The plan is to have these two used as general AdMech cronies as-needed in different scenarios. However at some point I want to run a specific scenario where the warbands are being hunted by a high-level kill team and two use these two as a distraction while the hidden Hunter Killer sneaks into position.

Anyway, terrain! Here's my first building. Overall relatively happy with it (though I cashed the gray spray paint bottle on this one).

Here's a mockup w/ the catwalks:

I tried to make a brown wash using watered-down brown paint and liquid laundry detergent. It didn't quite turn out the way I intended, but whatever the wash did to the gray paint job I'm actually pretty happy with. I will say that while I like the way the way my mesh and wax paper covering goes on it's pretty difficult to paint it up, but at the end of the day it's good enough.

Alyster Wick

My last Tehnolog shipment came, meaning I have 5 more models for my PDF (the commissar looking folks I posted already) who will be getting some heavier conversions to differentiate them from their mates. Again, my dream there is to be able to field 7 or 8 of them without having my NPC "Characters" moonlighting as straight NPCs.

After them, though, are my Imperators!

They will be the personal guard to the Chair of the Council of Planets in the sector. In addition to getting these fellows in, I also got my shipment of Instant Mold!!! I gotta say, I'm not sure how I pictured the stuff working, but it is...interesting. Not letting the good be the enemy of the perfect, however, I can envision hundreds of applications for it. Here's my first run of GS pieces:

Not bad, right!? I chose heads because they're probably the most difficult and least forgiving things you could do. My takeaway is that this is fantastic for NPCs, statues, etc. May be difficult to do an actual PC, but it's a great start. There are also some fun ideas I have which will probably end up in my PC thread, but regardless, here's my first fun experiment with one of the Imperators above:

Super happy with it. The Instant Mold is great for Grim-darking up more generic minis. And that didn't take long at all, I literally set the piece when I woke up, let it set for a 90 minutes or so while I did domestic duties, then slapped it on and did some blending before heading into the office. Anyway, more to follow...

Lord Borak

Great stuff with the eagle chest plate. That came out really well!

As for the faces, for a first attempt with Instant mould it's not bad but it looks like you made the first mistake I did when using it. You really need to force the GS into the half with the most detail (the face for example). Then you can add the second half of the mould and away you go.

Another problem I found was getting the balance of GS right. (Slicks head is too 'long' for example). To fix this, once you do the initial press, take the mould apart and remove any excess GS that squidges out (Flash). Do this a couple of times until the 'flash' is almost minimal. You should then have a piece that's the correct size as the original.

MarcoSkoll

The Skitarii are looking the part (and I'll be interested to hear any results if you do run that scenario where they're playing the part of sheepdogs).

As far as the instant mould, I'd suggest looking around for advice on press moulds (although Lord Borak is very much on the money with his hints), but the chest eagle (a Crosius, right?) is enough of an argument for this stuff on its own.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

The terrain is looking great. Catwalks are always good for games - adding another way to traverse the table leads to many more interesting scenarios and combat.

I recently got some Instant Mould too for work on a space marine. I tried making the replica parts from milliput, but the detail was awful. I thought I had messed up the mould, but perhaps the milliput just doesn't flow into the hard to get parts properly. I now have renewed hope for duplicating shoulder pads!

Ruaridh

Alyster Wick

Quick update, should have more as the weekend progresses (I have TONS of bits laid out in front of my 20 Tehnolog models and I'm determine to kitbash until I've got some workable pieces).

Recently I vowed to start using all the bits that I'm saving "for a special occasion." I know I'm not the only one that has a cache of pieces that I just can't bring myself to use because they require that one special model. They're not doing anything in my bits box so they're getting slapped on some minis!

Anyway, here's a mockup of my first Imperator. Will probably swap out the sword, just haven't found the right piece yet.

Pretty happy, my one question is do I give them all power weapons? It's cool in concept for the royal guard to be armed that way, but it may make games tricky. That said, I'm happy to just have two of them on a board at once and making sure that they play the roll of minis to avoid. If I keep them in powered carapace armor they'd be imposing but not game-breaking.