Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Squats (54mm) Project(s) Log:

Started by aeprod, November 03, 2014, 06:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeprod

I've been working on a whole cadre of Squats at 54mm for a few years now, but thus far have finished and earnestly played with only one. As a long-time GW player, I enjoy keeping the squats alive and in the universe (as I still play them in 40k games regularly). I also feel they are appropriate to the Inquisitor sub-universe, as they make for obvious mercenaries, as well as an enjoyable nemesis or villains on outlying worlds or in trade outposts. Additionally, depending on what you hold as canonical, whether the hive fleet ate the squat homeworlds, the remaining squats would find themselves scattered to all corners of the galaxy and looking for work (and likely some end up in the employ of both Inquisitors and bad-guys), in the interstices of civilizations where the inquisitor game is often set.

Per usual my blog's got more detail, http://middlingwars.wordpress.com/2014/11/03/inquisitor-54mm-the-first-squat-of-many-at-a-new-scale/, but here is Gunnar "Longhaft" Nillson, the first squat I ever finished.

He is quite fun to play, but dear me, is he slow to move with those short legs:

Here is the minimal greenstuff work I did:

Early in-process shot:

Radu Lykan

this guy works well almost a straight out of the box squat
nice paint job, always like to see nice gem work and those goggles are it :)

aeprod

Thank you for the compliments. He came out pretty decent - especially for a rush-job for an event.

aeprod

Got some photos up on my blog finally of the (several) other squats conversion underway (or recently underway).

As always, much more detail and background on the blog: http://middlingwars.wordpress.com

...but here's some photos:

Van Helser

That's a lot of squats! I've often looked at the Scibor stuff and pondered buying some, but I've heard that casting problems crop up regularly. How were these?

I'm a sucker for quilted flak jackets on squats. Any intention to sculpt any?

Ruaridh

aeprod

Quote from: Van Helser on November 19, 2014, 05:10:19 PM
That's a lot of squats! I've often looked at the Scibor stuff and pondered buying some, but I've heard that casting problems crop up regularly. How were these?

I've bought quite a bit of Scibor over the years and I don't remember having a miscast or mold issue - though i have heard about this a bit. I find his stuff is about as good as anybody, but it's anecdotal.

Quote from: Van Helser on November 19, 2014, 05:10:19 PM

I'm a sucker for quilted flak jackets on squats. Any intention to sculpt any?

I too enjoy the quilted attire of the Rogue Trader Squats. I've never tried sculpting any, but that might make for a nice goal at some point. I'm a neophyte sculptor at best, so I tried and keep it minimal, though I imagine that it might be good practice. I would love to do a more "traditional" looking R.T. Era looking squat or unit, with helmet, quilted-flak and lasgun. I will need to finish up these mercs and hearthguard first though.

Alyster Wick

Models look great! Too optimistic to think that this project comes with an entire Sourcebook you've put together :)

In all seriousness though, what rules are you planning to use with them?