Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

A Coterie of Daemonhosts

Started by Van Helser, February 17, 2015, 12:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

This new year finds me in a Radical mood. I am putting together a new sourcebook, covering the Xanthite faction that has been years in the writing. Little snippets of ideas are finally coalescing into a working book, and I now want to get some new miniatures made inspired by some of the new ideas I have come up with for the book. One of the sections that I am looking forward to sharing is an expanded look at daemonhosts. While the Cherubael model is good, I think some more original builds are needed for the new sourcebook. To begin with, I'd like to share the WIP Khornate Daemonhost below:

The base model is the Spine Brute from the 54mm Bane Legions range from Mierce Miniatures. I bought this years ago and it's been sitting around waiting to be used. Daemonhosts of Khorne are engines of destruction and I think the exaggerated musculature and brutal bone spikes extending from its wrists is perfect for a host possessed by a bestial daemon of the Blood God. I plan to paint the flesh like exposed muscle, with striations to the fore as if the swollen muscles have torn through the skin that previously contained them.

One idea I have currently is to drape the miniature in Army Painter razorwire, but I don't know if the great sculpt really needs any embellishment. Here's a mock up anyhow:

What do people think?

As the title of the thread suggests, there will be other models to come, so watch this space.

Ruaridh

seaglen

One thing I'd go with would be some Khornate horns/bunny ears - just to tie it in with where it's allegiances lie.
perhaps a khorne branding on the chest similar to Belakor's?

looks like a nice miniature though! - looking forward to seeing Tzeentch..

MarcoSkoll

Even in the hands of a Xanthite, I think it could do with a certain amount of "binding" - be that brass runes seared into the skin, silver chains to hold the spirit inside...

... or possibly something else. I'm getting a mental image of something that's half daemonhost, half arcoflagellant. Instead of calming psalms interspersed with periods of drug abuse, you could have things like engraved needles that withdraw (magnetically, hydraulically, etc) to allow the daemon access to more of its power when its master requires, and canisters full of the blood of the innocent (or as innocent as you can find in the Imperium) that can be injected to allow it to commit particular atrocities.

In any case, you remind me that I need to get back to my own Xanthite and his Slaaneshi daemonhost. However, I will have to resist for now, as I'm hoping to make this week Titan week.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

Following up on Marco and Seaglen's comments, I'd go one of two ways:

If created by a chaos mage, go with some Khornate branding and barbed wire. I think the Khornate bunny ears are unnecessary, a simple scar or brand sculpted into the chest would do the trick. I also quite like the idea of giving him some kind of barbed wire attack (a la the final scene in the Silent Hill film) just for some variety. A complete berserker would be tempting, but given the strength of the game is character there could be a lot of possibilities with having a character that can do more than whack you with their boney appendages.

If created by an Inquisitor, Marco's suggestions sound great. I'm 50/50 on whether the barbed wire would still work (holy bared wire? sanctified razor wire?), maybe some tight chaining? That could be hard to do well, though I did see a great tutorial on making GS chains recently, though it looked very time intensive. Injectors w/ purified blood, holy water, etc to keep him sedated would be good too. If you wanted to go over board, having a servo skull (or two) that follows him around, containing the daemon in a hex field until it's time for him to be unleashed could be interesting.

Anyway, great looking model and concept! If you need any proof reading, extra model shots, etc let me know. I have a few radical models that need revamping and this could be a good push for me to do it.

Van Helser

I think this daemonhost may be the pet of a cult rather than an inquisitor. With that in mind then, I will probably add a brand and maybe go for the barbed wire. A couple of chains or leather bonds probably wouldn't be out of place either.

Thanks for the input.

Ruaridh

Van Helser

Update time!

The initial build got a couple of tweaks and the painting process has begun. I have kept the razorwire to one arm only, but have added a chain around his middle to give the impression of some kind of binding of the daemon. You can't really see from here, but there are a number of syringes plunged into his back. There are a number of bulbous swellings between his shoulder blades, and it looked a good place to put some sort of injector rig. Cheers for the idea Marco.

I'm considering using some red ink to really make the musculature glisten, but worry it might make thinks just too shiny. A burning brand of Khorne on one of his pecs is a possibility too.

Any more ideas folks?

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

Not from me. That's pretty spanking as it is, and there's not anything I think it really needs.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Aurelius

I think that he looks great. Personally, I would love to see some red ink on him, as if the musculature has burst out of him then it would be expected to be shiney and gross. Only thing is it may wash out some of your highlights, so you may need to go higher with the highlights prior to the ink...
Cheers Aurelius

Van Helser

I give you Sacarlax, Daemonhost of Khorne, beholden to the Reaver Clans of Captain Hagen Bloodoath:

I have tried to achieve a burning brand in the centre of his chest in the shape of the symbol of Khorne. The blisters on his back have been painted blue to make them look more like cysts rather than pustules as the latter would suit a Nurglite daemon more I feel. In the end I tried and decided against using red ink on the model. I splashed some on one of its calves, but felt it was just too red. Gloss varnish crossed my mind as well, but in the end I thought that would only undo the shading and highlighting work I had done (and am very happy with).

Pretty happy with how this beast has turned out. I'll be going down the Slaaneshi route next, and might even have WIP pics by the end of today. No promises though!

Ruaridh

aeprod

I love this model. Creative conversion, evocative tone overall, and well painted!

Aurelius

Full of win. Really like how he has turned out!

Van Helser

Thanks guys. Really glad it meets with approval.

After that brute comes the elegant. The next host is possessed by a daemon of Slaanesh. I was very keen with this model to to look sleek and alluring while still maintaining an inhuman and deadly look. I have tried to go for an androgynous look by using a an aesthetically pleasing face from a set I got from Historex Agents some years ago, and there is the suggestion of a single breast. A talon adorns its outstretched arm to remind us that it may be beautiful but it is dangerous all the same. Unlike the Khornate daemonhost, this one was created by an Inquisitor, and is bound in chain and is adorned with Inquisitorial purity seals.

What do we think?

Ruaridh

greenstuff_gav

having used the C'tan in inquisitor myself, glad to see someone doing a better job!
bigger pics please :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Aurelius

I like him too - a nice contrast between the two. The musculature on the sculpted arm is phenomenal, and the bare head is super creepy. How about painting him in gold body paint, or do you feel this will make him look too much like the original C'Tan model?
For some reason I picture the priests from the original Mummy movie (right at the start) when I see this guy.

Is he/she missing, uh a certain normal requirement on the breast?

Alyster Wick

I've been totally swamped at work and (while I saw this three updates ago) I didn't get a chance to post. For that reason, I'm glad that you opted not to use ink. The paint job is wonderful as is and already has an eerie sheen. Gloss or ink would have been overkill. The bulbous back also looks fantastic, definitely a great way to take a nurgley detail and change it for the better.

The Slaneeshi fellow looks suitably androgenous. I can't help thinking it is a little plain right now, any plans to embellish? A strong paint job (with various tattoos of binding) could do the trick, but I'm interested if you have any other plans for modification.