Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

A Coterie of Daemonhosts

Started by Van Helser, February 17, 2015, 12:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

Aurelius, there is a nipple there! I can't claim full credit for the arm - there is an ork boy arm under the Pro-create there.

Here's a WIP shot of the Slaaneshi daemonhost:

Things I'm happy with - the flesh. Things I'm not convinced by yet - the purpley undertones to the sash. Things I will be going back to redo - the purity seals.

Can anyone think of a cool pattern for the sash? I am totally open to redoing the colour scheme of it.

Ruaridh

Alyster Wick

Quote from: Van Helser on March 24, 2015, 02:08:33 PM

Can anyone think of a cool pattern for the sash? I am totally open to redoing the colour scheme of it.

Ruaridh

I like the clean white. What would you think about doing some script on the sash and making the lettering look like it's glowing? Great excuse for some light source painting, plus it transforms a mundane piece of cloth into a powerful binding instrument. I personally like the idea of a Slaneeshi daemonhost having more aesthetically pleasing binding apparatuses.

Van Helser

Thanks for the idea. I have added some text to the cloth, but thought the glowing bindings upon the skin was shiny enough in the end. I have finished the daemonhost off now. The first pic here showed the red of the wax seal to be too bright, so I then added some purple ink (as can be seen in the final pic). The lighting here today is rubbish though, so the first pic is actually the best I took.

Up next is a host possessed by the essence of a daemon of Tzeentch. Updates soon!

Ruaridh

Aurelius

Nice! He looks awesome  :o
the freehand on the sash is really well executed, and must have taken a while. The skin tone is spot on too, great highlights

Alyster Wick

Great piece there. Elegant, yet mutant. The color scheme looks great.

With both the Khornate and Slanneeshi models you've managed to make daemon hosts that are very unlike the standard fare that we see. It's definitely firing up my imagination, keep up the good work! I'm excited to see what the Nurgle and Tzeentch models turn out as.

RobSkib

Much better! The runes really make it pop. I'm a bit weirded out by the blue hand though, it ends very abruptly at his wrist - is there some transformation taking place or does he just have a teeny tentacle for a hand?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Van Helser

The blue does blend into the arm... maybe could be brighter to stand out more by the looks of these photos.

The Tzeentchian host is up next. This one uses an old Judge Dredd 54mm "Judge Fire" model that I won off eBay a few weeks back. It was pretty short and slight so have extended it at the shins and around the middle.

The idea with this character is that a heretic awaiting execution daubed himself in runes the night before his execution so that when his death came, a daemon was summoned into his body to take revenge against his captors. The Tzeentchian daemon ensnared burns with warp fire and turned the host body, still bound with chains and wearing his prison jumpsuit, to a burnt husk. It now rules over a small empire of heretics and criminals upon a penal colony.

Painting will begin this week.

Ruaridh

Lord Borak

This stuff looks great mate. I'm planning on making a Host out of the Nightbringer at some point (I have one in the bitz box so what the hell) and I'm going to be stealing some ideas off you ;)

Aurelius

Great use of the Dredd mini, and well sculpted extension.
They are in fact 45mm scale,  hence the height difference. But the scale is all over the place.  I recently picked up Robo Hunter - super short, but so was Sholto Unwerth!
Judge Caligula is much bigger, and is pretty much 50mm tall. He is going to be my sanctioned psyker.
Looking forward to the paint

Van Helser

45mm would make sense then. It's all over the 'net as 54mm!

I've had fun getting the paint on the 'host today. Painting flames was a challenge I haven't undertaken on such a scale before. The sun is also out today in Inverness, so took the model outside for these photos. Natural light shows up all the poorly done bits it would seem!

I am now really tempted to take all the 1st and 2nd ed marines I have lying around and do a Legion of the Damned army... Maybe another time, for there are a bunch of 54mm figures on my desk needing finished off. Up next, this dead and decaying host possessed by a daemon of Nurgle:

Ruaridh

KaptiDavy

That's just smoking hot!
Maybe the grass on the base should've burnt too...

Van Helser

You can't really see it (thanks to the natural light I reckon) but there is some blackened grass at his left instep to contrast against the live stuff at the edge of the base.

Ruaridh

Van Helser

The host of the fourth God of Chaos is ready. This rotting corpse has been infused with the essence of a daemon of Nurgle that propels its drooping form into battle at the behest of its Xanthite master.

Stone's torso, his hand trophy and two of his left arms went into this model along with Von Castellan's legs, a 40k ork hand and Quovandius's head. Initially I had thought about going for a zombie pose, with the hands outstretched, but thought that having the body appear to be useless and simply being propelled along by an unseen force would look better, and lead to less confusion on the battlefield (though I may do some old school zombies at some point).

It's not as interesting a paint job as any of the other three to look at, but I used a bit of a new technique for me, and sponged lighter colours on the flesh over a green basecoat. A few dabs of purple, red and brown here and there hopefully continue the theme of this being a battered corpse.

Might have one more daemonhost to join these four at some point soon hopefully, sculpted by the talented Macabre. For now though, I will be turning my attention to some of the Carthax sector's followers of Chaos. Look out for the new thread soon!

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

Personally, I think the arms hanging down more would have given a better impression of "useless corpse", because having seen those side views...

;D
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Lord Borak

Well he's nt going to be winning any beauty contests but he certainly looks the part! Personally, though, I would have angled his arms a bit more horizontally with the ground. Angled back as they are it looks like he's travelling at speed! (maybe he is?)

Otherwise, top notch stuff!! Especially the freehand.