Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Events in 2015 - Latest: IGT 2015 reports

Started by MarcoSkoll, February 17, 2015, 03:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

i'd rather have games slightly too long rather'n rush to finish; allows for those of us who need to change shirts / delays with getting lunch :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Heroka Vendile

obviously I wasn't there this year, but in the past i've always felt that wrapping up and scoring was done in a bit of a rush due to the time constraints.
Perhaps the schedule should have dedicated breathing spaces (i.e 5-10 mins between game slots) – although I guess that's less of an issue when there's only two out of three consecutive games in the day.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Van Helser

I thought the extra time for the scenarios really helped, as there was no need to try and hand wave away the combats and escapes that never quite get finished when we have shorter games. I'd be happy to have 3 scenarios again, but also reckon that taking 5 minutes off to allow for score-keeping, swapping around, and for the final reckoning would be fine. We had enough time for lunch, apart from poor Joe who's order had to have been forgotten about.

As for the next meet up, I think trying something with pre-arranged games might be a good spur to getting people to commit, but we would need to have a way to build a narrative before we get close to the date. Perhaps a call for participants, followed by a submission of belligerents, and then negotiating games. We would have to arrange the GMs in advance too, so no one is set to play in one slot and GM another game at the same time.

Ruaridh

TheNephew

I think the timing worked just fine in terms of game and scheduling, though I'd agree that perhaps working a little more swing into it would make accounting for the unexpected easier, and might let Dave do the tallying up in a slightly calmer fashion.

My late lunch was probably as much my fault as Bugman's (my packed lunch turned out to be more of a snack brunch, so really I just unnecessarily delayed ordering), but it was an issue in the first place because of one sort-of-unavoidable issue - we needed/wanted someone babysitting the tables during that hour, to watch the models and promo the game. The length of the lunch break itself was just fine.

For the scenarios, it left a lot of room to conclude the game, and we didn't have to spend the last twenty minutes smashing through as many rounds as we could manage to get to an end.
This year mine started stuttering and dying towards the end (my scenario was .far. quicker to resolve, and far slower to actually conclude, than I'd thought), but I took the option of calling time when a resolution was pretty much arrived at, which I think (hope) is preferable to grinding on through rounds until time is called.
Last time (Eramus Affair) I think was slightly shorter slots, and the endings did feel a little rushed at times.
I'd like to get four games in, but I know it's been tried and the three game set-up was arrived at as optimal.
As I think I also said after the Eramus Affair, I think if I was a little more on the ball as a player and GM the games I was involved in would've run far more smoothly, so 60-minute games should be ok, maybe?

Anyway, next time I'm bringing a Devastator squad and it's everyone else's turn to spend all game face down bleeding in the mud.

MarcoSkoll

Well, good to hear some positive feedback, as well as ideas for what can be worked on - I wasn't necessarily expecting my first attempt at tweaking the format to hit perfection, but it doesn't seem to have been a disaster.

Quote from: TheNephew on June 13, 2015, 08:31:42 PMAnyway, next time I'm bringing a Devastator squad and it's everyone else's turn to spend all game face down bleeding in the mud.
Excellent, something for Leander to shoot at. :P
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles