Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Kaptins Konversion Klinik

Started by KaptiDavy, March 23, 2015, 01:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaptiDavy

Greetings from Hungary!

I've been lurking here for years but now I present some figures at last:)

First one is an arco-flagellant - the main idea came from wondering about why there are no shooty flagellants? So I thought about giving him a flamer (no sophisticated targeting needed), then the whole thing evolved into an idea where the same volatile fluid is sprayed from the flamer that pumps him up during action.

..um, err... I don't think I figured out how to attach that picture...

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: KaptiDavy on March 23, 2015, 01:09:51 PM..um, err... I don't think I figured out how to attach that picture...
You put the photobucket page address into the IMG tags, not the image address:

If you look over to the right hand side of the page, there's a section called "Share links". You want either the one that says Direct, which you then put into IMG tags, or the one that says "IMG", which won't need them.

The image links always start with something like i1056, where as the page addresses start with s1056.

So, if you try quoting my post, you'll be able to see the correct formatting:

Looks good to me - if I recall my roman Gladiators, with those small eyes and neck flange on the helmet, I'm guessing it started as a Secutor?
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

KaptiDavy

That's more like it, thank you!

Yes, it was a secutor... once

here's the backside, and a gunservitor

This guy's in dire need of a belt feed - any ideas that don't include sculpting?

Alyster Wick

Really nice work there. The Acro has some nice atmosphere with the parts source. I'm really loving the gun-toting individual as well. From his garb he looks more important that just a basic gun servitor, will be interested to hear the background on him.

As for the belt feed, it looks like you have access to plasticard, that could be useful. You could make blocks and connect them somehow, though this would be time consuming. You mentioned an aversion to GS, but it may be a lot easier than you think. Get a smooth surface and roll out a nice thick band of GS and flatten it to a few millimeters (however thick you want the belt at its widest). Give it 45-90 mins and come back. Cut the sides to give the band flat edges, then lay a ruler down next to what is left and press an exacto knife in lightly at uniform increments. Carefully peel the band up and mark the other side at the same intervals. Even at this stage the GS should glue decently well, so carefully (with rubber gloves if you have them) glue each end of the band onto the appropriate part of the mini. The exact joint may not look fantastic, but you'll get the bend of the GS band right and that's half the battle. Once it cures you can file down the sides to make the edges sharper and/or remove the whole thing and file the ends down to make a cleaner join.

I've never tried that method, but it's similar to other experiments I've done. Give it a try, the worst that happens is you learn a new lesson and have to get a little more GS on your next trip to the hobby store. I promise it'll be a valuable lesson in the end :)

Aurelius

Great conversions, but I particularly like like the gun toting servitor too. He looks super clunky which is awesome   ;D. An alternative belt feed could be a kids sized plastic bracket, that would be easy to pose. Otherwise I'm sure a plastic dreadnought would have something useful

KaptiDavy

Thanks for the suggestions - I've checked all versions of plastic dreadnought but it's all the same belt which is sadly too short, so I guess I'm stuck with my GS (let's give it a try!)

QuoteFrom his garb he looks more important that just a basic gun servitor

I'm not sure what You suggest here. He was a 54mm japanese pilot (with a handful of flowers originally) I found on ebay, and looked perfect for such a role:)

Now, I give you their boss:

Actually no background for these, as my ideas about figures and stories tend to surface separately - most of my fleshed out characters don't have a figure yet and vice versa

Van Helser

Brilliant conversions. That ringwraith has such a great pose.

If you don't mind spending a bit of money, Zinge Industries do flexible ammo belts.

Ruaridh

KaptiDavy

QuoteThat ringwraith has such a great pose.

I'm glad none of you found this guy before I arrived  ;D

Otherwise: today I've bought some miliput and a set of long needed sculpting tools, so I'll try making the belt (I've already ordered some other manufacturer's but the size didn't really fit)

Aurelius

That Ringwraith conversion is excellent! As are the twisting mechandrites and power axe. Great idea.
Is this a die-cast ringwraith from that lord of the rings magazine, or something else?

KaptiDavy

Thanks!

I don't know the exact source of the figure, but probably not the mag (if I recall its box clerly enough) - I found it on ebay, searching for "54mm"

Alyster Wick

That admech model is awesome. Great use of a characterful sculpt.
Quote from: KaptiDavy on March 24, 2015, 08:17:27 AM
QuoteFrom his garb he looks more important that just a basic gun servitor

I'm not sure what You suggest here. He was a 54mm japanese pilot (with a handful of flowers originally) I found on ebay, and looked perfect for such a role:)

Servitors tend to be dressed in a very utilitarian manner, I just think that guys has more character in his clothing than a general servitor (though maybe his master likes it that way). His clothing is militaristic, but the lining of the coat looks fancier than I might expect for a mindless flesh-automaton. That said, all the harnesses do look appropriate for a heavy gun servitor. Whatever you choose to do with him, I really like the model!

KaptiDavy

Now, as my monodominant warband still needs some members to arrive, I'll stick to the mechanicus - next project will be a stealth force of two cybernetic soldiers and a hacker (how do they call these in the 41st millenium???)
What I'm after is a good iconography for the main guy's (the hacker) breastplate. My initial plan was to chop both an etched brass cogwheel and a SM servoskull (one half cyber) in two (embedded in each other), but it still needs something between the halves - maybe some lightning-type thing?
Any suggestions?
The concept is that they're not hardline, fully initiated mechanicus, but some guild earning it's knowledge from the main cult - probably members of some secret service, or laymen belonging also to a secret society that requires them to use those skills in different theaters

KaptiDavy

After much tweaking with the aforementioned mechanicus icon, I came back to my monodominant warband... here's the main guy

the backpack is a bit of a recycling extravaganza

In the meantime I had the chance to redefine shoulder mounted psycannons

Radu Lykan

Monodominant hammer guy is great, how does he scale next to a gw inquisitor model?

KaptiDavy

Quotehow does he scale next to a gw inquisitor model?

Perfectly - it's a Pegaso knight's replica (1/32)