Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Toy's n' That....

Started by Lord Borak, April 08, 2015, 11:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurelius

I'd go for a tatt on the forearm instead of veins. Great painting as always. You need a really electric blue before you do the white, I use an awesome P3 privateer press blue which has heaps of pigment and is really bright. Will try and find you the name
Cheers Aurelius

Heroka Vendile

reminds me of the very crisp paint jobs Kierkeggard used to do - although yours are a bit more naturally toned than his sometimes vibrant work  :)
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Alyster Wick

Really great piece there. He seems a bit clean at the moment, I think chemically veins would go quite nicely. I'll echo Aurelius's opinion re: the electric blue up to white highlight on the flail. It looks good now, but a little more work there would make it pop.

Lord Borak

*Blows dust off thread*

Well, not quite a month since my last update! I forgot to take pictures of the 'dirtied' up Tech Adept but I have done some greasy stains around the base of his robes. I'll take pictures on my next update :)

Anyway. The past three days I have FINALLY got some spare time to myself and done some hobby! Egads! First up is my first piece of 54mm scenery. I'm planning to do some form of oil refinery. Expect lots of tanks (to blow up!) and churning machine to throw people in :D

Next up is The Executioner. Going for a funky blue effect. It takes ages but I like it.

greenstuff_gav

i'm not usually one for unproductive posts but HOT DAMN!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

I concur. The funky blue NMM type effect is teh awesumzorz.

QuoteFirst up is my first piece of 54mm scenery. I'm planning to do some form of oil refinery.
I really must get those old Paul Rudge scenery articles digitised at some point.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

LeahO

Further reiterating the comment that that is incredibly beautiful. To me, it almost doesn't look metallic - more like those star sapphires. The illusion of rich, gleaming surface is incredible. What colours were you going to balance it out with elsewhere on the figure?

Radu Lykan

My PC is going to short circuit, it's drowning in drool :)
That is one of the prettiest paint jobs I have seen in 20+ years of looking at model soldiers and it's not even finished yet
I think some form of mirror shield effect would be cool rules wise or anti laser armour
Looking forward to seeing this guy done

Lord Borak

Lol Thanks guys. I think I'm going to need comments like those to keep me going on this model. It's hard work, the kind where you think "I wish I'd never started"

Anyway, hopefully this update wont disappoint. Sorry it has taken so long but the chest piece took me three attempts to get right and I'm not 100% happy with it now but if I do it again I'm afraid the paint will be too think and will end up being lumpy. The left arm is pretty crap compared to the rest of the piece and I only did the bit behind the shield in case I want to swap weapons. Oh well I guess I'll never take the shield off and hide the errors!! Looking at the pics however i think I do need to go back and add another highlight to the inside of his left arm.

LeahO, I'd never even heard of star sapphires before. They are pretty damn cool! To balance the model out I am going to go for grey robes (with details) and silver and gold details.

Radu Lykan, cheers man! I've not thought about rules for him yet really. I just get an idea in my head about a conversion and crack on. A bit of the opposite way around to most of you chaps who do the background first. I'm always model first, background later!!

Lord Borak

Sorry, not had enough time to concentrate on 'Mr Blue' and I have run out of building materials for the scenery. So, I've been pissing around with an idea I've been toying with for a while.

My mission, should it work, is to create a set of Robed Cultist type models. All multipart. Then cast them up and, if it works, make some NPC's out of them. I am going to keep the sculpts simple for two reasons, so I can add details as and when I want them and to make casting a simpler job. Anyway, I have completed one set. Here's the head (a simple mask and hood head), one set of arms, one set of legs and one torso.

I'm planning to make 2 sets of legs: The one pictured standing still and the other running. 3 heads, one as pictured, a Redemptionist hood and I dunno about the other (ideas!). I'm looking to make 3 torso's, 2 robed and maybe one with a little bit of armour. 3 sets of arms: A set to carry a two handed gun and a straight and bent arm for both left and right arms.

I'm not going to sculpt hands as I will probably sculpt them around weapons when I need them/figure out what I want. However, if I can get the moulds to work, would you guys be interested in these? and would you require hands?

Lord Borak

Got bored and made another head. This time it's the Redemptionist head. A bit hard to see but I did sculpt eyes in that hood. Took me about 45mins - an hour to do.

TheNephew

That looks great - definitely like the simple clean look, looks well proportioned etc.

I'd vote in favour of hands, if you were sculpting to cast, simply because that allows you to simply stick a weapon on if you don't have a donor hand... to... hand?
Especially if you'd be sculpting to GW's beefy proportions regarding bodily extremities, it'd make life a lot easier. I'm sure you've found that the range of gun-butt-holding hands readily available for chop'n'swaps outside the limited GW range tend to look a bit dainty on, say, Sgt. Stone or even Damien Bloodhound, and the Ork hands seemed to have terribly pointy knuckles and nails when I tried to use them.
[Actually, I tried one pair-of-hands swap with an Ork, and, in trimming the nails to more human shapes, butchered the fingers and my thumb. Maybe this is not such an issue for others.]

Love the heads so far too.
Were you thinking covered faces for all three?

Radu Lykan

Depending on how far you wanted to go, I would probably sculpt some separate hands holding weapons and sell them as a set.

Lord Borak

Ok, I'll have a crack at some hands as well then. I'm not sure if I'd do weapons because that's even more effort designing and making those when I can just use GW ones. I can just do some generic hands holding nothing which would be easier in the short term.

As for the faces, yeah, I was thinking covered faces for all 3. The third head I was going to do as a sort of blood pact/malicant head which could be a leader I suppose and the others henchmen. We'll see how well it turns out. Bare in mind this is just a quick sculpting project, I don't want to spend too much time away from my main projects (Mr Blue and the board).

I have sculpted the 'Two handed weapon' arms but I didn't put a weapon stock in there - just to give a bit more freedom.

Lord Borak

Ok one more set of legs done, one more Torso, one more set of arms and the last head done!! Just one more torso and one more set of arms to go!

Pics are a bit pants, sorry about that.

Smiling clown face mask

Scale shot with a GW 54mm.