Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Toy's n' That....

Started by Lord Borak, April 08, 2015, 11:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

That's some incredibly neat sculpting work. Generic robed characters are always helpful to have. With a few adornments they can be everything from monks to cultists, and techpriests to adepts.

Lord Borak

That was the plan! I want to make a fairly big cult mob for a campaign I've got ticking around in my head. Once I get the last few parts sculpted up I'll order the resin and mould.

Anyway, thank the Emperor for that, the blue is finally done!! Just in time as I'm back to work today :( Where did that month go!?! C&C as always guys!

My Favourite bit is the back of the helmet!!  ;D

Van Helser

Wanted to hold back on commenting on this guy until he was totally finished, but... Holy crap. That isn't just one of the best NMM attempts on an Inquisitor figure, but might be one of the best I've seen full stop.

seaglen

I very much agree!
Serious skills here.

This really puts my inquisitor to shame, as I was going for a blue armour effect!
A few questions:
Where are the arms/head/sheild from? Are they sculpted?

If so I am doubly impressed!
Looking forward to seeing the completed model!!

Alyster Wick

Re: Mr. Blue, just a great model. Hats off to you sir. How many layers do you use on the highlight, and what's your base color?

Re: the NPCs, I'd buy at least two sets. Would you be doing components individually or as a package deal? Either way, I'm into it.

Lord Borak

Van Helser:
Well, thank you for the kind words man. I really don't think it's as good as you say but thank you none the less :D He'd going to take a very long time to finish now I'm back at work but I'll try to keep plugging away at him. The blue was the main job, the next main job is the robes which I think I'll do a light Grey but I'm unsure of the freehand I'll add. Any ideas?

Seaglen:
Cheers man. Lol, I actually went trawling through the painting section and found your thread. Your Inquisitor (and other models) is awesome and definitely should not feel ashamed . The Arms/Head/Shield are all sculpted. You can see the converted version of this chap on Page two of this thread.

Alyster Wick:
Not too sure about how many layers I did, I don't really have a formula or anything. The base is regal blue and this is highlighted up with Macragge Blue until it's pure Macragge blue (maybe 4-6 stages?). Then Marcragge blue is highlighted up with Hoeth blue (again 4-6 stages). Then Hoeth blue is highlighted up until it's about two thirds blue, one third white. I then do a light (75%water) wash with a mix of 7 parts Blue ink, 2 parts Purple Ink and 2 parts chaos black. Once dry I re-do the last few Hoeth/White hightlights and then hightlight up to almost pure white. I leave a pure white highlight for the corners and where the light would hit.

So, all in all, probably 15-20 layers depending on how large the part is. As for the NPCs, I hadn't really thought about packs. Maybe if I sell them on Ebay I'll do packs but I'm not GW, I could do part orders. Lets see how they cast up first. You might not want them lol. ;)

Lord Borak

Ok not much work done on Mr Blue as I'm back at work and haven't had any real time to spend on him. I am doing the metals though as I think about the robe/skirt and some freehand ideas.

As for the Cultists! They're done. I now have...

5 Heads, 3 Torso's, 3 legs, 6 arms, 5 hands. The hands are a Pistol grip for each hand, a weapon grip for each hand and an open left hand for carrying a two handed weapon/rifle. Here's some pics.

This is head number 5. I guess this could be a Cult Leader head as it is a bit more detailed than the rest.

Quite happy with the way it came out to be honest. Especially the eyes (they were a git!). I think the 3rd setof legs may be a touch to long. What do you think?

Alyster Wick

I'm really loving the leaders head. What's your production timeline? I have some NPCs I'm trying to get ready for a campaign that'll be starting in the next couple months and I would definitely love to put some of these bits into use with them. I don't imagine that you'd be casting everything up that quickly, but I'm asking on the off chance you are.

Again, great stuff. I would definitely use that "leader" head in the creation of a Blood Pact character.

Lord Borak

Well, I ordered Mould/Resin today so when that turns up I shall crack on with casting. Obviously life may get in the way but I'll try and get some done sharpish if you need some done quickly. Just be aware I have to do 6 day weeks during the Christmas period and have a 5 week old so expect me to be a little flaky.

Oh and yes the leader was based off a Blood Pact :D I have yet to see if it fits a guardsmans torso. I'm not sure why I haven't tried yet...... Going to go off and raid the bitz box now.

Inquisitor Vale

God bless the wean. I might be repeating the blindingly obvious, but am I right in thinking that these robed figures might be available to the general public? If so it is an Emperor-send for my own plans (an Inquisitor with close links to the Ecclesiarchy).
Inquisitor Ollanius Sabbat Vale, Ordo Hereticus (Amalathian)

Lord Borak

Well, I have the parts ready to go and I have the silicone and resin ready to go.... I just need some time to sit down and start making moulds!! I have tomorrow off (just done 13 days straight :S ) so I'm hoping to get something done tomorrow after I have finished the errands the wife has no doubt planned for me.

So, yeah, when I get my ar$e into gear I should be able to start cracking out some casts. I've never done thins before though so the first few attempts might be a little 'dodgy'. You'll just have to bear with me.  :)

Alyster Wick

You're moving at a furious pace all things considered Borak :) Very much looking forward to seeing the final results.

Also, because I didn't mention it in the last post, Mr. Blue just keeps getting more stunning.

Lord Borak

Ok, well, despite my lack of pictures I am still making progress. Kinda. This is being a steep learning curve I must say. My first attempt completely failed due to not mixing the silicone correctly. I finally managed to get the mix right.... Lesson 1 learnt

Unfortunately, in the second attempt, the second 'block' of silicone completely stuck to the first meaning I had to (VERY carefully) cut it apart to get the original out. I did use some mould release spray but apparenty not enough (lesson 2 learnt). Originally I had planned to put the channel for the resin on his waist/top but due to me not cutting it out correctly I was forced to put the channel on the other side (the bottom). This means I'm going to struggle to keep the air bubbles out of things like the toes and tips of the cloak *sigh*. At least the mould still fits together well.

Next mould is on the go. Lets see if this one goes better

Still.. I'm getting there. Here's some pictures of the Sculpts on some sprue's.

A big thank you to Gav for all the advice and help behind the scenes.

Alyster Wick

A very exciting nuts-and-bolts update. Cheers to progress, keep up the good work!

Lord Borak

Well. I may have been a bit excited/impatient so skipped ahead and tried out some resin.

2 Part Resin. Mix, pour, wait an hour and open mould..... Did it work?

Well, praise the Emperor. It looks like it did. There are only TWO AIR BUBBLES AND THEY ARE TINY!!!! One is on the waist so you wont see it anyway and there is a tiny one on his toe. I can live with that. Not bad for a first attempt.

You may have noticed I added some air release 'vents'. Some sound advice from a chap on DakkaDakka