Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Toy's n' That....

Started by Lord Borak, April 08, 2015, 11:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

Looking great for early attempts with casting. I have tried in the past and found it exceptionally difficult to get half decent bases let alone components for figures.

If you do succeed and want to produce figures to sell I will be near the top of the queue.

Ruaridh

Lord Borak

Obviously members of the conclave get a discount. That goes without saying ;)

Been at the production line since my last post. 10 sets of legs (only 2 types though as the 3rd mould is still under way). The four on the right are 'perfect' with no air bubbles. The 6 on the left have air bubbles but it's nothing a touch of green stuff wont sort out.

greenstuff_gav

while pricing, plan for each mould to only last 15 / 20 casts; should last longer but moulds do degrade; something Finecast illustrated!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Alyster Wick

Missed that last update, great stuff! I'd be very happy to purchase the air-bubbly ones, eagerly await details on the rest. You're working at a furious pace my friend! You're doing a real service to the hobby.

Lord Borak

To be honest, the air bubble ones aren't even that bad. A touch of Green stuff will sort them all out. I am putting the worst offenders aside for myself though as I want a gang of ten and I don't mind spending 5 minutes sorting a few bubbles out.

I have done the third mould, which didn't stick to itself and separated nicely WIN!, so I'm currently casting up the third set of legs. So far I have 10 standing legs, 6 'leader' legs and 6 walking legs.

As for selling them I'm thinking of making packs of 3. One each of the walking/standing legs and one of the leader legs, 3 Torso's, 3 sets of arms, one set of heads and 2 sprues of hands per pack. Possibly for £10 - £15 a pack? Is that a good deal? Too cheap? Too Expensive? I dunno. Help me out on this one. Maybe £10 for you chaps and £15 for the rest of the world?

Pictures tomorrow.

Alyster Wick

I'd definitely be willing to pay 15 and would take at least two packs. Great stuff!

Radu Lykan

at £10 a pop you can count me in for at least one set, great job so far

blacknight

First off comment on Mr Blue of wow. That is a stunning paint job, I hope that the character behind the model doesn't intend to maintain a low profile as in the far future it is mostly grimy dark more than anything else.

Also on the cultist sets, I don't think that 15 is unreasonable for conclave members and more on eBay. I intend to get a couple once you're up and going.

Mar/blacknight
Well you can do what you want, the technical branch are going to stay here and keep her afloat!! - Diesel CPO Otto Fricke, U505, Nov 10 1942 - On being ordered to abandon ship.

Lord Borak

Cheers Blacknight. Unfortunately I've only managed to paint the gold on Mr Blue so far as Casting has taken over my free time.

Speaking of Casting, here's my progress. I currently have 6 sets of 3 legs (for sale/you chaps). These are the best of the bunch. There are a few small bubbles in the toes and maybe a couple where you wont see them (in the base/waist join). Sorry, I am getting better though.

EDIT: Just to warn you, there was a small defect in the mould of the walking legs so there's a 'nasty' mould line on the right leg. Nothing a file/knife can't sort out though.

.... and here's my Ten. The worst of the bunch so far! You can probably see the air bubbles. Some are worse than others.

My next order of silicone has arrived so I'm currently giving the Torso's a bath of silicone :D Hopefully Ill get the first casts of them done tomorrow and give you a sneak peek - just so long as they're not an embarrassment.

Lord Borak

Ok, the mould for the Torso's came out pretty well. After a few tries casting up I ended up widening the 'pour' point or whatever you call it as I was having trouble getting rid of all the air bubbles.

Here's two casts after the alterations.

A couple of rejects gave me something to play with. My 'squad' is coming along nicely

Next moulds are under way.

Inquisitor Vale

Eager watching on my part.
Inquisitor Ollanius Sabbat Vale, Ordo Hereticus (Amalathian)

Radu Lykan

i have a torso on order that might combine nicely with those robed legs, interested to see how the more detailed heads cast up

Lord Borak

The heads are casting up no trouble to be honest. It's the hands that are causing me the most grief (hence no update for a while). Still, I have 3 complete sets ready to go. 4 more to go and my squad of ten is filling up nicely with the mismoulds and parts with the worst air bubbles. I now have 2 full models and all ten of my chaps have heads.

Did I mention there might be a few air bubbles? I'm trying my best to get rid of them but there are some persistent little ones. They are little however so a tiny bit of Green stuff will fix them with no trouble.

Here's a picture of the Heads, Hands and arms. The pics are pretty piss poor but it's hard taking a picture something that is pure white. I had to add some air release channels to help remove the air bubbles.

Alyster Wick

Those look absolutely fantastic. The phrase, "shut up and take my money" comes to mind. Seriously though, I'm super excited to get my hands on these and get to making cultists.

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Lord Borak on December 31, 2015, 01:40:50 PM
Here's a picture of the Heads, Hands and arms. The pics are pretty piss poor but it's hard taking a picture something that is pure white. I had to add some air release channels to help remove the air bubbles.
try a coloured spray on the uncleaned sprues so show what the quality's like although i doubt anyone'll complain! :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination