Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Toy's n' That....

Started by Lord Borak, April 08, 2015, 11:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Borak

Cheers chaps. No update on the Marine yet (I will get around to applying paint to Mr Blue and the Marine soon, I promise.)

White? Do you mean for the lenses or the actual casing? I went for black for the casing, white is an interesting idea though.

Right, been toying with this guy. Honestly, this has been the hardest thing to cast/mould up EVER. I keep getting bubbles regardless of what I do so I'm not going to be mass producing this rage inducing model. I also had one side of the mould fail as air bubbles got stuck in parts of him (mainly the gap between his leg and coat). Still, here's one I made earlier. With the Chain sword with 2 missing teeth.

This guy is going to be my Investigator/Interrogator for an Inquisitorial warband. An Ex Arbite Investigator. This is before his Inquisitor and the rest of his warband was mbushed and murdered by Cutists. He now works Undercover as a Bounty Hunter trying to track them all down.

As you can see, there's a few bubbles on this one. The tip of his lapel and his belt buckle for example. Nothing too bad to fix though.

EDIT: Yes, that is blood on that model. Damn thing.

seaglen

I actually like the few missing teeth on the chainsword - it looks like hes used the thing in a fight, and a few have broken off.

Thats a great cast - I am currently working on sculpting a genestealer cultist, and also a few parts (Toothpick Murke's torso, Kal Jericho's laspistol and torso) so Ill let you know how they go - especially the laspistol, as you were looking for one I believe?

Lord Borak

I'm OK on Kals Laspistols now. I managed to get one off Ebay and another fine young gentleman on here agreed to part with the other one! (you know who you are you dashing fellow).

Thanks about the cast. I have another simmering away in the mould now so we'll see how that one turns out. The arms/head and crate are no problem at all. In other news I have cast up the Alien Bounter Hunters legs and body and they came out pretty decent as well.

The Cultist sounds good. We all love some Hybrid action even if it's just to kill some!

seaglen

YEah im planning on using Sgt Stone's legs and Quovadnius' torso, flied down and resculpted, for the base of the Genestealer cultist - Im basically going to try to sculpt and cast up a 54mm version of this guy:

http://www.adpublishing.de/Hybrid_1.jpg

Ill post some pics shortly...

Lord Borak

That sounds cool Seaglen. :D You done it yet? (I haven't started mine)

Right, PAINTED STUFF. Marine is done.

I say 'done' but I have forgotten to add a squad number to his left knee pad. I should also add some weathering to his feet..... Ah well, that's for another day. Oh, and I need to neaten up his base lol.

Oh, and just to prove to you I am still working on MrBlue. Here's some more W.I.P. The skirt and brown is still W.I.P but the metals are done. Looking for ideas on what colour to do the sword and it's scabbard.

Alyster Wick

The color on that marine is really rich. Checkers also look fantastic. Do you have a method to get it that neat or is it just done freehand? Either way, great job!

Mr. Blue continues to be stunning. The gold detailing looks great and he's really coming together well overall.

seaglen

I agree with Alyster - that marine is great.

Mr. Blue is just outstanding - one of the best 54mm paint jobs I have seen!

as for the blade colour - possibly a white steel, or opalescent white would look good?

Id keep the scabbard rather neutral - maybe a smoke/coal-grey?

Lord Borak

Thank you both. I thought I had replied to you....obviously not!

Quote from: Alyster Wick on February 09, 2016, 02:15:27 PM
Do you have a method to get it that neat or is it just done freehand?

Freehand. The pad is done black and then I paint grey lines as a 'guide' then fill 'em in and neaten 'em up.

Quote from: seaglen on February 09, 2016, 02:58:11 PM
As for the blade colour - possibly a white steel, or opalescent white would look good?

Id keep the scabbard rather neutral - maybe a smoke/coal-grey?

I'm thinking Silver could be a good idea actually. Or maybe a white with a hint of blue. A bit like the old Force weapon style. We'll have to see. A grey for the scabbard sounds good actually. Although the whole model is going to look very plain.

Right, Here's some of my new completed scenery.

In hindsight I should have added some more detail work to the base. I really should have done some individual tiles and so forth but, lesson learnt, I'll do that for the next one.

Alyster Wick

That looks outstanding. You can also always just toss some bits of plasticard around the base along with a scattering of sand and paint it up as random rubble/industrial trash.

On a side note, I had considering casting walk-ways from one of the terrain sets. It appears as though you've done that here, am I correct? If so, it appears well worth it and I may try it myself. Any words of wisdom on that? Or was it pretty simple to cast up?

Lord Borak

Aye, they're casts although just one part mould so the underneath is flat resin. It's pretty simple to do and I can take some pictures of my mould if you'd like? The only useful tips I can give is to make sure the original/mould half is level (Get your spirit level out if you have to!) and to not mix up too much resin as you don't want it spilling out the sides!

Oh, and thank you very much! Good idea about the sand. I'll crack on with that!

KaptiDavy

Very good indeed! Is the scaffolding made of plastruct poles?

Lord Borak

KaptiDavy, yes mate. They are :) Kits and lots of them.

Right. Here's an update. This is just spray work at the moment. I started off with using the GW spray gun with Warplock Bronze. Then I used Mornfang in certain areas to create a rusty brown effect. I then sprayed it with the spray gun using Leadbelcher and then, lightly, sprayed it with leadbelcher spray - because it's a lot lighter than actual leadbelcher. Oh and sorry about the messy table!

I'm also thinking of doing 'MrBlue's' sword like this but green. Thoughts? Oh, this is NOT my work but some chap called C'Tan

I have also picked up one of these as a gaming board. They're not exactly cheap but they're REALLY god damn nice and I'll have no more chipped models.

I forgot to add this picture in. This is the next batch of Scenery to be sprayed. One set still needs it's base and they both will have detail work on the base added.

KaptiDavy

The sword seems nice, but wouldn't be green too vivid? I mean the blue fig is a sight in itself so I'd rather tone down the sword - the same technique with grey NMM perhaps...

Alyster Wick

Terrain looks awesome. Almost makes me want to pic up an airbrush... Also, you understand this means you must post battle reports soon, right :)

For the sword, I could see green working depending on the shade, but might it not clash a bit with the current color scheme? I could see red fitting in a bit better. That said, the model looks fantastic so far so if you've got a picture in your head I say go for it. The source of inspiration your using looks great.

seaglen

That terrain looks great Borak!  -I am making some more this evening - Bisto gravy granule containers are good for small standalone slios...

I'd probably echo everyone else with the idea that green may detract from an already striking paint scheme, and make it a little too busy...