Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Toy's n' That....

Started by Lord Borak, April 08, 2015, 11:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

Really fantastic stuff. The color scheme is perfectly unifying. Each piece looks great individually but there's enough connective tissue to make them really gel as a team.

Quote from: Lord Borak on March 13, 2016, 03:01:09 PM
Quotegreat and accessible painting style

I'll be honest here. I have no idea what you mean by 'accessible'. I'm going to assume it's a good thing so I'll say thanks. Thanks!

Definitely a good thing! What I meant is that when I look at the pieces you paint they look amazing, but I feel like I'm also able to look very carefully and actually see what you did so I can (at least try) to replicate it. Although it may just be that I'm getting older, more patient, and am painting regularly enough to have a better eye for these things. Regardless, my compliment stands.

Lord Borak

Seaglen:
Thanks, hehe, he does look like that Juve come to think about it.. Just with more clothes on. Maybe it's the same kid now grown up!!

Alyster:
Thanks! Hopefully they do work as a team. I saw them in action on Sunday night and my mates who used them didn't do so well. It was an Epic fight but a bit unco-ordinated. It ended with the Drill-Man and Bolter guy dead. The Chain sword-Guy holding off the Radical Inquisitor (in power armour) whilst the Girl (the lasgun one) ran off with information.

Glad my painting is helping somehow. If you every want a break down of the colours used I'll happily oblige. Most of my techniques, as you say, are quite simple though. Most are basecoat / wash / wash / highlight / final highlight and some are less than that. 4 colours max usually.

Van Helser

Quote from: Lord Borak on March 12, 2016, 09:00:04 AM
Cheers mate. The Boltgun is made from a Steel Legion Heavy Bolter with nothing but the stock cut down to fit the arms. The clip is from Tyrus' Bolt pistol (a random Ebay bit) but Ork Big Shoota ones fit perfectly as well. I have a couple of spare Heavy Bolters so if you want one, or a cast of one let me know!

The Face is a bit 'warmer' than I wanted it to be. Think I should pale it up a bit?

Might have to take you up on the offer of a cast - your build is excellently scaled for human characters. Artemis's bolter is just too big.

I think Alyster has hit on something - the eyes should just be black. It currently looks a bit cartoony.

I think the group look great together. Very paramilitary looking. Swapping the Judge's legs in for Covenant's was a good move. The latter's legs are quite difficult to get to work with most torsos I find.

Ruaridh

Lord Borak

Ok, I'll look at repainting the eyes as bloodied flesh rather than actual eyes  ;D Thanks, trying to make all of them look individual but yet 'mesh' together was a bit of a scratching-head moment. Hazard stripes and a splash of red are a theme on all my models (if you hadn't noticed) so that helps to tie them together whilst not looking too uniform.

I have currently run out of Mould/Resin so I'm waiting on my next batch to arrive. I'm half way through casting five (yes 5) genestealers for one lucky 'clave member which is eating heavily into my resin at the mo! Once that's out of the way I'll knock up some weapons for you :D Anything else you need?

Van Helser

I feel worried for the opponents facing 5 purestrains...

It may be worth knocking heads at the IGT (I think you're attending, yes?) and chatting about component casting. Having a "bitz" service again would be amazing.

Ruaridh

Lord Borak

Yes mate. I'm attending the IGT. I'm happy to do and would appreciate a bitz service as well. It's space for all these moulds though. I have a box worth already and people keep requesting stuff  :-\ Maybe we can all get together and make something a bit more thought out. We all pick 5 ish models and make moulds of those for example. Then if anyone wants bitz they can just speak to those members. We can sort that out at WHW though over a pint.

As for an update. I'm currently painting up a Genestealer to harass and scare the crap out of my mates with.  ;D Pics later.

Alyster Wick

Looking forward to seeing the Genestealer!

Lord Borak

Well. Here he/she/it is. The painting is a bit rushed and it's just drybrush and a quick highlight in most places but it'll do for a Game plot type thing. This is actually a resin cast of an original.

Thantos

Love the 'stealer, classic space hulk colours there! ;D I hope he scares your players!

Van Helser

Proper old school, though I might have been tempted to repeat the chitin effect from the hooves to the claws.

Ruaridh

greenstuff_gav

has anyone else noticed he's missing back sections?
the 2nd ed stealers had 3 muscle sections while this one's missing 'em... would help to make him bigger too!
my resin casts came out terribad! :(

still, great paintjob; suprised you went for the 40mm base instead of something a bit bigger!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Lord Borak

Cheers chaps!

Old school? Nah, Cool-School. :D I started with Space Hulk so it's a throw back to that I guess. I always liked that scheme. You're right about the claws, I should really do them the same as the hooves. The hooves I did last and was at a loose end as to what to do them so just did them that colour. I really should have thought out the colours more before I picked up a brush. Bah, whatever.

GAV The base, heh never thought of giving him a bigger one. He doesn't weigh much so the 40mm base keeps him upright easily. If you want a cast you can have one.

Right. Onto the next project. Well, I'm working on a few projects but this is the one I'm going to show you! This is Pyonidas (yes, that's Pie and Leonidas mixed together). Pyonidas is a redemptionist who has been uncovered as a WITCH! He'll end up in my Radicals warband. Basically, he's looking for martyrdom in order to repent for himself being a witch but our friendly Inquisitor has convinced him that to repent he must first serve him. More fluff on him later I guess.

seaglen

Absolutely love the genestealer! I'd certainly mirror the opinion of doing the claws in the same bone colour.
I'd love to purchase a resin one from you borak!

The redemption it's is looking great so far - I'm interested to see how you paint him up. One thing (it might just be the pictures) but the arm holding the chainsword looks a little long?

Keep up the great work!

Lord Borak

You're probably right about his arm come to think about it. I measured it to the right length and then added the fingers so it's probably 1mm too long or there abouts.

Right, Pyonidas is done. Paint job is pretty simplistic but he's a gaming piece.

Not sure if I should add anything to his cloak or not.I didn't add anything because he's supposed to have donned the black cloak of the penitant which I guess would be just plain robes.

Van Helser

He looks the part, but perhaps you could consider a different colour for the cloth around his neck?