Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Toy's n' That....

Started by Lord Borak, April 08, 2015, 11:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

Rather than a war wound stopping the Marine seeing active service, how about a failing astartes implant?  Many gene seeds have faults, and while the Imperial Fists can't spit acid, the Black Dragons have great big bony spikes.  Perhaps this marine's chapter has a problem of their own and it renders some of their number unsuitable for combat.  He could be attempting to make contacts with those in positions of power over the magi of mars to correct the failing, or perhaps he is part of a group within the chapter tasked with keeping their deficiency secret; ruthlessly hunting down those who are party to the truth. 

The space marine article from Dark Magenta goes into loads of detail on the specific astartes implants and could be helpful. 

Ruaridh

realitybytes16

Quote from: Van Helser on March 08, 2018, 01:23:25 PM
Perhaps he is part of a group within the chapter tasked with keeping their deficiency secret; ruthlessly hunting down those who are party to the truth. 

Ooh I like this idea! Perhaps that covert element of hunting down those who know the truth could link them to the Alpha Legion in some way? That could be another element of their shame in addition to a gene-seed mutation, and something they'll kill to keep secret.

KaptiDavy

Nice bionics!

If you still feel uncertain about the arm though, you should check some killakan sprues - they have some pretty variants on the pneumatics

Lord Borak

Thanks KaptiDavy. I'll check them out!!

Hmm, that's interesting Mr Helser..............very very interesting. A sub plot or a darker reason why the chapter is reaching out to the wider Imperium for support is  great idea. I like the idea of a chapter civil War (Perhaps initiated by Alpha legion). With some of their number defecting or turning to Chaos. Ultimately the loyalists won but it has left them massively depleted in numbers and without the reserve stocks of a long standing chapter that would leave them in dire straights indeed. Especially if they chose not to reclaim the geneseed of their traitor brothers. Or maybe that's a little cliche? The geneseed being unstable is quite cool. Maybe some marines, during the heat of battle, suddenly loose control and turn into berserkers slaying all in sight and their brothers have to 'put them down' before the collateral damage becomes 'too much to right off'. Although that seems a little too Blood Angels for my liking... Hey, perhaps they are blood angels but they think their Ultramarines and they have absolutely no idea what the Black Rage is.

So perhaps he's out there trying to barter with the Mechanicum/Inquisition for a 'helping hand'. Whilst also making sure no one knows about their traitorous brethren.

Anyway.......... Warehouse is finally done. All the stock is in there. Notice boards are up, lights are in place and fire escape is serviceable. Now all the need is to start hiring staff!!! Oh, and maybe some vending machines.... Because staff can't work without a trusty Ration bar or Nuka Cola can they?!

Lord Borak

Ok, I reworked Brother Aetius' (yes, he has a name now!) bionic arm. Quite happy with it now. I liked the shoulder and upper arm part so I kept that, I found a spare elbow in my bitz box and the rest just came together! I also did the green stuff work and added some small cables to the the bionic leg.

Thoughts on the bionics and the pose in general?

Van Helser

Love the detailing in the warehouse. It's very authentic and "lived in".

I think the bionic forearm looks a lot better now. Being smaller than the leg makes both look right. I would say that a shoulder pad on the left is needed as it helps with the classic astartes silhouette as well allowing for somewhere to put heraldry which would be important in his ambassadorial role.

Ruaridh

mcjomar

Hrmm - does he have to be an ambassador? Maybe he's a bodyguard of some sort?
A fit Astartes would be on the line, but one significantly injured like this (without being Iron Hands), might work as a bodyguard of some sort? Maybe if his chapter has some sort of historical honourable agreement with a powerful figure/figures?
Then you'd just need a suitably non-combat model for him to protect (maybe that character is very social in nature, for Sg or Ld checks, but otherwise quite useless and fragile, and compensates with some sort of shield device, or maybe not even that much, just relying on the big hunk of ceramite and metal to protect him/her).
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on March 12, 2018, 08:16:51 AMA fit Astartes would be on the line, but one significantly injured like this (without being Iron Hands), might work as a bodyguard of some sort?
It feels like an out of place role for a Space Marine. They're not exactly known for obedient subservience to normal humans.

Wounded Space Marines are also going to be steered into roles that only a Space Marine will really do for. There's a thousand ways to have a super-soldier bodyguard in the Imperium, but an ambassador for a chapter... you rather do want that to be a Space Marine.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on March 12, 2018, 02:34:19 PM

It feels like an out of place role for a Space Marine. They're not exactly known for obedient subservience to normal humans.

Counter-point:
William King Space Wolf novels regarding an honourable connection between the Space Wolves and the navigator house that help with the movement of their space craft.
I don't doubt similar types of honourable service would be open to wounded Astartes. Or (for that matter) irregular marines who don't fit into the normal flow of the chapter for whatever reason. Maybe it's a punishment detail. Or a mark of honour.
And though it might be service of a sort, it doesn't necessarily have to be subservient either - that's just one possibility for the trope.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

KaptiDavy

How about simply doing diplomatic business between chapters? That would solve the case  ;)

Lord Borak

I'd rather he was an ambassador over a simple bodyguard. Whilst it is not out of the realms of possibility that Marines do bodyguard duty (Wolfblade for example) I don't really see this guy as doing that. For a Chapter to supply a Marine as a bodyguard that individual (human or otherwise) must be pretty dang important or the honour involved must be huge so I can only see a chapter assigning a Warrior of great skill and mental ability. His injuries would prevent him from doing a decent job of it.

In the Ciphas Cain novels a detachment of Marines (I forget the chapter) were honour bound to make sure Ciphas didn't snuff it. Whilst not exactly bodyguard duty they did teleport in to save his ass on at least one occasion.

I'm pretty much set on his ambassador role forging links with other Imperial institutions. Mechanicum, Administratum or otherwise. I'm leaning more towards the Mechanicum and Administratum as they are the ones who would really wield the power to resupply a Chapter with additional geneseed and gear.

As for his Chapter, I still can't decide on a name. I'm useless at picking names. I was thinking of "Iron Eagles" (Ferrum Aquilae) or something like that but it sounds way to cheesey. Plus, I just did a google search on them and someone else has made a chapter with that name :/

mcjomar

The only time I made a chapter, I called them the Storm Tigers (garish orange paint scheme, 5th company (black trim and kneepads), green eyes, etc).

Steel Blades (they hate the Iron Warriors, and steel is better than iron?)
Erm
Astral Blades?
Astral Spears?
Night Slayers?
Fire Hunters?
Brotherhood of Steel?
Emperor's Spears (or Spears of the Emperor)?
Sword Brothers (I'm pretty sure that's been used actually...)
Iron Dragons?
Fire Dragons?
Avenging Swords?
Siege Brothers?
Wings of Fire (or Fire Wings)?
Steel Hammers?
Adamantium Avengers (erm, what?)?
Steel Foxes?
Star Spears?

I'm painting a group of marines for my local gaming group (I've decided I'll give them to our local Golden Demon winner - maybe he'll make them look better after I've finished with them), and they'll be called either the Solar Spartans, or the Stellar Spartans - colour scheme of black, with red trim, and gold helms, to go with the club symbol of the Surrey Spartans.

Dorn's Hammers (successor chapter maybe?)
Guilliman's Avengers (I guess they must hate the Emperor's Children then)
Steel Templars
Fire Zealots
Star Fangs?

There's a generator here that would probably do a better (or at least the same) job than me.
https://www.battle-brothers.co.uk/space-marine-chapter-name-generator/

And sorry for not mentioning it earlier, but the improvements you've made to the mini do look great.

Lord Borak

I was using that linked Name generator before but could really get anything decent out of it (Steel Foxes? I mean, seriously?). However I just tried it again and was given Adamantium Eagles - Which sounds pretty cool.

I'm thinking of either painting him either silver, Bronze (practise before my custodes) or a dark green. However the Name Adamantium Eagles makes me think of a Dark Metal.

What say you?

mcjomar

I think the name works pretty well.
Not sure what colour scheme to suggest.
Maybe mix tin bitz (or similar) with a dark grey?
Would the chapter use metallic colours rather than flat colours? (current 8th ed codex suggests both normal colours and metallic colours for company markings, e.g. yellow/gold).

Radu Lykan

Perhaps he is from a chapter that had some elements go bad and the chapter was condemned by the actions of a few marines/squads/companies. Since then the loyal elements have purged their ranks and your boy with bionics (earned in the civil war?) is tasked with reconnecting with the imperium and clearing the chapters name? Would explain him hanging around trying to talk to inquisitors and other prominent officials that crop up in games of inquisitor?