Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

New Warband

Started by Lord Borak, April 12, 2015, 01:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Borak

Ok, from Macroskulls pointers........ I've knocked a good few stats down..

QuoteInquisitor: 
  WS    BS      S      T       I       Wp      Sg      Nv      Ld   
  75     58     60    59     79      86       71      76      87     

Equipment:
Carapace on Chest, Abdomen & Groin, Enclosed Helm with Rebreather, Flak Armour on Arms & Legs, Chain Sword, Bolt Pistol + 1 Reload and 1 Reload of Stalker Shells, Average Bionic Arm - str50

Skills:
Leader,  Right Handed

I wanted this guy to be pretty good with a blade so compensated by making him just an 'OK' shot. He is fast, but I guess being rogue you need to have some quick wits to keep ahead of the inevitable Enforcer Teams.

QuoteMagos Helnskos :
WS    BS     S      T       I      Wp     Sg     Nv     Ld   
50     59    43    55     60     78      88    78     66   

Equipment:
2 Advanced Bionic Arms - str70, 2 Advanced Bionic Legs, Advanced Bionic Lungs & Heart, Bionic Head - AV3, Advanced Bionic Eyes with built in and Motion Predictor and Range Finder, Laspistol with Reload, Power Axe, Bioscanner & Med-Skull

Skills:
Rock Steady Aim, True Grit, Regenerate, Right Handed

((Fluff behind this guy is that he's been infected with living metal. The Mechanicum either want to eliminate him for being an abomination or capture him, dissect him and study him. This represents his Regenerate))

Dropped the WS abd BS down by quite a bit. Dropped his Toughness and Nerves by a good few points as well. He's got no armour so that and his lowish Toughness should balance out his Regenerate. His strength and Power Axe makes him a beast in combat but his WS is pretty average and he's not the fastest character either. I'll have a good read of that Dark Magenta stuff when I have more time!

QuoteCyd & Sid ((Twins))
WS    BS     S       T      I      Wp      Sg      Nv      Ld   
40     70    51     57    60     51       39      59      46     

Equipment:
Flak armour on Chest & Abdomen, Stubber wth 1 Reload, Revolver with 2 Reloads, Pump Action Shotgun + 2 Reloads

Skills:
Gunfighter, Quick load, One Soul Two bodies*
Cyd is Left Handed, Sid is Right handed.

Psychic Powers:
Wyrd - Telepathy.

One Soul two bodies*
Cyd and Sid may only use Telepathy to talk to each other.

Dropped some stats and some skills.

MarcoSkoll

As I mentioned before, it's a little hard to critique character profiles without more of a sense of who they are and their specialities, but you'll probably find that games are more interesting with slightly less skilled profiles.

I will say that while I commented on the "one soul two bodies" thing before, I was thinking it was something could be made more of, rather than entirely pruning it back.
While I dislike skills that (needlessly) dictate character behaviour, I do like to see the unique skills and traits of characters represented in game.

For an example, one of my favourite special skills of all those I've given to my characters was when I gave an ability that halves penalties for darkness to the Guard Sgt from the Mordant 303rd (a tunnel fighting regiment). It's not very powerful (some skills and equipment ignore darkness entirely), but that modest impact on the game is really good at making her feel like she is actually at home in a dark subterranean cave.

Skills aren't necessarily about what they let the character do, but how they make the character feel on the table.

Quote from: Lord Borak on April 12, 2015, 01:11:59 PMMacroskull
Oh dear, I do have a habit of picking usernames people misspell.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Lord Borak

Ok, I've sat, thought and pondered upon my characters for a few weeks.....

Interrogator Gravier Brask: 
WS    BS      S      T       I      Wp     Sg      Nv     Ld   
68     58     60    59     69     71      61     76     69   

Originally, Gravier Brask, was a local Enforcer-Detective from the world Galathia IV in the Mancora sector. However, during the 'Black Star' uprisings he came to the attention of Inquisitor Herscheimer for his work in uncovering the many hidden cults and sects. Eventually he became a permanent part of Herscheimers warband once the uprisings were put down. Brask served in Herscheimers warband hunting, Interrogating and dispatching the enemies of the Inquisition for 18 years.

Inquisitor Herscheimer was later tasked with the investigation, and elimination, of Anti-Imperial cults and a surge in gang warfare on the world of Abraxia Primaris which had grown in frequency and brutality over the last few years.  Whilst delving into the depths of Hive secondis (Matyrs fall) the warband was ambushed and, ultimately, wiped out by a heavily armed band of Hive gangers.

Gravier Brask, however, survived. Blasted into a river channel by a missile blast Brask eventually ended up being washed deep into the underhive where his beaten and bloodied body was discovered by a local bounty hunter by the name of Grak (AKA Grak the thick). Grak, not knowing who his captivate was settled to just putting Brask out of his misery and taking his rather fine boots in payment for his generosity. Unfortunately Grak had never come across (or head of) a Digi-weapon and was killed by the semi-concious Brask as he prepared to liberate Brask of his boots.

Eventually Brask settled on the theory that the gangers had not been at that exact location at that exact time to ambush Herscheimer purely by chance. Suspecting treachery, Brask removed all Inquisitorial insignia and donned Graks clothing, armour and weapons. Brask even went so far as to dress up Graks corpse in his own clothing and wargear and then mutilated his corpse beyond all recognition so that if Graks body was found by any searching gangers they would count him as one of the fallen Inquisitorial Henchmen. In the end, Grak did end up with Brasks boots....

Trusting none of his old contacts and superiors Brask has kept to the Identity of Grak, A deep-hive bounty hunter, claiming the heads of mutants, scum and other outlaws. Building his strength and investigating any rumours into the elimination of his old warband.

Weapons:
Chain Sword, Graks Las Pistol* with 2 Reloads

Whilst heavy and cumbersome to the chain blades issued by the inquisition Brask was glad to have such a heavy close combat weapon at his side again. This particular blade was taken off an outlawed gang leader. Graks Laspistol is an antiquated Laspistol of ancient origin. It packs more of a punch than a modern Las pistol but, due to it's kick, is less accurate.

*Graks Laspistol
Pistol, Range E, Mode: Single, Acc -5, Dam 2D6+1, Shots: 20, Rld 2, Weight 20.

Equipment:
Carapace on Chest, Abdomen & Groin, Enclosed Helm with average Auto senses and Gas Mask, Flak Armour on Arms & Legs, Average Bionic Arm - str50

Due to the frequently dangerous and toxic environment of the deep underhive, anyone foolish enough to enter generally has some form of air filtration system. Grak, who was a veteran of venturing 'deep hive' had a fully enclosed helm with air filtration system.

Brasks right arm was crippled beyond the healing abilities of any underhive doctor by the missile blast. Due to this Brask had his arm replaced with a bionic version. Paid for by his many claimed bounties.

Skills:
Leader,  Ambidextrous.

Originally right handed, Brask had to train extensively with his left hand whilst waiting for and then acclimatising to his bionic replacement. To represent this Brask is Ambidextrous.

Lord Borak

Next up is Dixx

Growing up in one of the many brutal Underhive gangs of Martyrs Fall Dixx's life was one of constant conflict, death, brutality and dirty living. However, once reaching puberty she started to hear 'whispers'. By the age of 15 she could concentrate hard enough to decipher what the whispers were saying. Eventually figuring out that these 'whispers' were in fact the thoughts of people nearby. Obviously, being who she was, she put these new found skills to nefarious use and it was not long before she was run out of every card house and gambling den in her part of the Hive.

In one of her last Card games she came across a ganger of the 'Hydrak Brothers' Gang who couldn't stop thinking of the details of an arms shipment. Seeing a chance to 'make it rich quick' she ambushed the arms dealer and made off with enough weapons and cash to retire early. Unfortunately for Dixx, it wasn't long before the Hydrak brothers came after her.

She is now very much on the run.

Dixx:
WS    BS       S      T       I       Wp      Sg       Nv      Ld   
42     61     43    46     57      47       37      59      46   

Dixx is Right Handed

Weapons:
Np Lasgun with Range Finder and Reload, Revolver with Reload, Knife.

Dixx has taken the biggest gun she can reliably carry from the stolen stash and sold the rest.

Skills:
Hip Shooting. Wyrd - Mind Scan.

Always on the Run, Dixx has become adept at keeping a level aim whilst on the move.

Lord Borak

I've been a bit slack with putting this up for critique. Anyway, here is Magos Helnskos. I stayed away from the Dark Magenta 'more machine than man' as I didn't want to over complicate things as my gaming group will just be getting started. We'll branch into that sort of stuff at a later date :)

Right, Fluff.

Magos Helnskos has become bit of a legend in the depths of 'Paradise Hive'. For as long as any ganger's can remember the Magos has held a large, heavily guarded, complex deep in the underhive and has traded high grade weapons, armour and equipment to the gangers in exchange for information and ancient archeotech. In fact, due to his trading of military grade gear to gangers and mutants it has caused untold problems for the local enforcers and gang warfare in the depths has become increasingly violent and destructive.

The truth behind the old Magos is that he was part of an old explorator team, researching and investigating rumours of ancient archeotech hordes and possible STC data. Following rumours to Paradise Hive the Magos delved deep into the kilometre depths of the Hive. Taking over, and fortifying, an abandoned mine the Magos has been following rumours, excavating and exploring for well over two centuries.

Over the centuries the rest of his team has either fallen fowl of Mutants, Ganger's or they have simply given up and abandoned the search of Paradise Hive leaving Magos Helnskos alone in his search. Quite when the Magos started to lose his grip on sanity is unknown, perhaps his century alone in the depths has driven his sanity to the limits or perhaps his mind has broken with the knowledge his life has been spent chasing nothing.

Magos Helnskos :
WS      BS      S      T       I       Wp       Sg      Nv      Ld   
51      59     43    55     60      78       88      78      66   

Magos Helnskos is Right Handed

Weapons:
Great Axe,  Las Pistol.

Equipment:
2 Advanced Bionic Arms - str70, 2 Advanced Bionic Legs, Advanced Bionic Lungs & Heart, Bionic Head - AV3, Advanced Bionic Eyes with built in and Motion Predictor and Range Finder, Bioscanner, Refractor Feild.

Skills:
Medic, Eccentric*

*Eccentric, Magos Helnskos' mind is a broken, fragmented and all-be-it quite brilliant thing, and he has been known to wander off rambling and cursing in machine code.

At the start of every turn there is a 5% chance the magos starts rambling in machine code. He will also wander D6 yards in a random direction stopping at any barrier or edge.

Lord Borak

Ok, looking for some ideas on how to do this battle Servitor. After some advice from Marco I went for a low toughness but a High armour value to represent well protected but sensitive electronics and also the well protected but feeble remains of an unknown (possibly vat grown) human.

R013130 Mk7c Battle Servitor:
WS    BS     S      T       I      Wp   Sg    Nv     Ld   
49    51    70    45    40     95     5     95     55   

Weapons:
Las weapon* and Decapitator

Equipment:
AV8 on Legs, Arms & Groin. AV9 on Head, Chest and Abdomen. Advanced Bionic Eyes with Infrascope, Range finder, Motion Predictor. Advanced autosenses. Advanced Bionic Legs, Advanced Bionic arm (str80) with implanted Decapitators

Skills:
Force (lack) of Will. Rock Steady Aim. True grit.

Are the WS/BS about right? I figured that a programmed weapons servitor would be fairly competent at both but wouldn't get any further as it's never going to 'learn'. Wp and Sg were a guess. I figured it'd have a high Wp as it basically has no identity and only has it's programmed orders/routines. He's not exactly going to be a great problem solver either hence the very low Sg. I hope the armour values are suitable, if not say so!

Onto Strength and toughness. I went for a fairly high strength because I didn't want the servitor falling over from knock back all the time (he'd struggle getting back up!) - I might just type some rules up thinking about it to stop him falling over. As for the toughness, I need a way of overcoming the problems of low toughness. This thing is supposed to be a battle hardened servitor which would fight to destruction protecting it's creator but with a toughness of 45 it's going to pass out fairly quickly from damage or system shock. True grit would allow it to come back online from system shock but with a low toughness that's easier said than done. Basically, I need some ideas.

I'm not sure how much autonomy I wanted to give this thing. It's a body guard so really has to stay quite close to the magos but I also wanted it to be able to go 'patrolling' if so ordered by the magos. I was thinking maybe just pinching the rules for cyber mastiffs. Yes/No?

Lastly, weapons. I know decapitators are a 'thing' but for the life of me I can't find which Exterminatus they're from. I'm also looking for some rules for the Lascannon type thing. It's a smaller version of a Lascannon basically but Lascannons are horribly inaccurate at anything but long ranges. I was thinking of maybe using the rules for a Triple-X Pattern Lasgun on permanent high setting.

Cheers.

MarcoSkoll

In answer to your question in the other topic, BIV is "Base Injury value".

Derived stats like Base Injury, System Shock, Consciousness, Knockback or Speed... they don't have to be derived.

For example, Silva Birgen is Toughness 73, but her bionics have BIV 5 and AV 8 to represent that while they're heavily armoured custom variants on military models, if an attack does fracture a hydraulic line it's still going to be fairly incapacitating.
And Jax Lynn is T 65, but has System Shock 20 and Consciousness 49 (as opposed to 13 and 33), because as a consequence of her regeneration, she just doesn't register pain in anything like the same way as a normal human.

With that in mind, it would be quite possible for the Servitor to have that relatively low BIV to represent the fragility of its components, but a higher SS and Cnc to represent a lack of pain sensitivity.

That said, as all the damage has to get through AV 8 or 9, it should still actually soak up a lot of damage before hitting those thresholds, so I wouldn't move them up massively. I'd be tempted by numbers in the region of  T 50, BIV 5, SS 12 and Cnc 30.

As an aside, my current drafts of vehicle rules give a Rhino T60 and AVs in the region of 15. Pistol fire will bounce off, but rifles (at least, Revised Armoury rifles) have a chance, and bolters start to be a decent threat.
The stats I've been writing up for Leander's Plasma Blastgun*, however, will reduce it to slag in a single shot.

* I don't expect them to get used in (most) games (where the rules will be very much played by ear), but out of idle curiosity, I thought I'd try writing some. Latest version: Area: 8yd, Blast 6L**, Damage 4D10, Tearing(2). A direct hit averages 27.7 x 6 = 166 damage.
** An experimental Revised rule that may never see "official" use: L blasts reduce by one hit per two yards from the centre and S blasts every half yard to give more variety in representing the size of explosions.

So... from there...

Stats: WS and BS seem fair, but I'd perhaps also consider a higher strength - perhaps 80 or even 90, as it is a very hefty lump of metal. Might bring the WP down to more like 80 though (just to be a little fair to anyone who does try to use telepathy), and drop the Ld to 20-ish (Ld is mostly representative of "charm" in the game these days, and it doesn't have a lot).

Autonomy:  the cybermastiff stuff is rather simplistic. I'd actually be tempted to play this one by ear and "roleplay" it, as presumably it has a certain level of combat processing to let it prioritise targets and decide the most apt way to engage them, even if it wouldn't have the assertiveness to (without being instructed to), rip off the door that's in its master's way.

Weapons: The decapitator was in a WD, not an Exterminatus, so if there's not a separate article for Simeon 38X, check the 2002 annual.
As far as the Lascannon... well, there is my Revised Armoury. It doesn't have lascannons yet, but there are a lot of powerful variants of lasgun that can be built with it (up to what I've dubbed the Callahan pattern lasgun. The most powerful lasgun in the galaxy, except the question is "Did he fire four shots or only three?", because it does drain power cells fast). Beyond that though, it'd be possible to cook up other things.

GW's =I= articles

Lord Borak

QuoteIn answer to your question in the other topic, BIV is "Base Injury value".

Derived stats like Base Injury, System Shock, Consciousness, Knockback or Speed... they don't have to be derived.

I knew it was going to be something obvious. Cheers

QuoteThat said, as all the damage has to get through AV 8 or 9, it should still actually soak up a lot of damage before hitting those thresholds, so I wouldn't move them up massively. I'd be tempted by numbers in the region of  T 50, BIV 5, SS 12 and Cnc 30.

I'd not thought of just increasing the Shock and Conciousness values. It's an odd feeling having Carte Blanche to write rules and things. I was also thinking of using the Unstoppable skill (the one that allows Toughness re-rolls. That should stop him falling unconscious left right and centre. Either would work.

QuoteSo... from there...

Stats: WS and BS seem fair, but I'd perhaps also consider a higher strength - perhaps 80 or even 90, as it is a very hefty lump of metal. Might bring the WP down to more like 80 though (just to be a little fair to anyone who does try to use telepathy), and drop the Ld to 20-ish (Ld is mostly representative of "charm" in the game these days, and it doesn't have a lot).

Ok, I was thinking of editing the stats to these...

R013130 Mk7c Battle Servitor:
WS    BS     S      T       I      Wp   Sg    Nv     Ld   
49    51    92    51    40     81      5     95    16   

Weapons:
Las weapon* and Decapitator

Equipment:
AV8 on Legs, Arms & Groin. AV9 on Head, Chest and Abdomen. Advanced Bionic Eyes with Infrascope, Range finder, Motion Predictor. Advanced autosenses. Advanced Bionic Legs, Advanced Bionic arm (str80) with implanted Decapitators

Skills:
Force (lack) of Will. Rock Steady Aim. True grit. Unstoppable(?)

QuoteAutonomy:  the cybermastiff stuff is rather simplistic. I'd actually be tempted to play this one by ear and "roleplay" it, as presumably it has a certain level of combat processing to let it prioritise targets and decide the most apt way to engage them, even if it wouldn't have the assertiveness to (without being instructed to), rip off the door that's in its master's way.

Fair enough. Should be easier to GM as well.

QuoteWeapons: The decapitator was in a WD, not an Exterminatus, so if there's not a separate article for Simeon 38X, check the 2002 annual.
As far as the Lascannon... well, there is my Revised Armoury. It doesn't have lascannons yet, but there are a lot of powerful variants of lasgun that can be built with it (up to what I've dubbed the Callahan pattern lasgun. The most powerful lasgun in the galaxy, except the question is "Did he fire four shots or only three?", because it does drain power cells fast). Beyond that though, it'd be possible to cook up other things.

I have Simeons file on PDF and it says to refer to an Exterminatus issue. I've been through the Exterminatus and the Annual and I still can't find the flipping things. Thinking of just writing some rules up myself. I'll have a look at that armoury. I'm going to assume it's here somewhere in the rules section.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Lord Borak on September 08, 2015, 10:07:07 AMI was also thinking of using the Unstoppable skill (the one that allows Toughness re-rolls. That should stop him falling unconscious left right and centre. Either would work.
Yeah, that would work.

QuoteI have Simeons file on PDF and it says to refer to an Exterminatus issue.
Ah. No, it says "see Exterminatus in this issue". Exterminatus was also what the WD articles were called.

You want page 11 in the 2002 Annual, or page 59 in WD 259.

Personally though, I'd tweak it slightly - the "Revised" approach I use for weapons that inflict injury levels rather than damage* is D6 injury total per level of injury caused, not "the minimum required". (Which makes it slightly less likely to make a character pass out instantly just through consciousness total).

* Stuff like the Wraithcannon, for example.

QuoteI'll have a look at that armoury. I'm going to assume it's here somewhere in the rules section.
Latest update: http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=33.msg33935#msg33935

GW's =I= articles

Lord Borak

Acolyte Crassos

Acolyte Crassos was once part of the notorious Iron Fist Gang led by the infamous Golgan Iron Fists. Golgan was an ancient and brutal gang leader who had established a small empire in the depths of Martyr's Fall Hive over almost 7 decades. To be part of Golgans gang was simple, you were born into it. All of the Iron Fists gang were Golgans bastardised children.

Crassos was one such child but, due to his small statue and weasly build, was condemned to the life of a slave. However Crassos possessed a vary rare and valued  trait. He had an innate understanding of technology that saw him raised from the ranks of the slaves and into the weapon shops. Eventually his knowledge out stripped those of the techno slave masters in Golgans Gang. Crassos' greatest achievement was the creation of Golgans suit of powered armour which prompted Golgan to noice Crassos' skills and promote Crassos into his own retinue. By this time Crassos was only 17 terran years.

Two years later Golgan finally met his end attacking the one stronghold in Martyr's fall which had endured against his all for decades. The Factory Complex of Magos Helnskos. Upon the advice of Crassos Golgan tried a different approach. Using a jury rigged cogitator Crassos was able to hack into the Factory's system and force all the doors in the complex to open. Golgan needed no other chance and committed his whole gang into the attack. The fighting was close and brutal but despite Golgans brutality and numbers he could not match the co-ordination and weapons of the Magos's servitors and automated weapons. Golgan fell, ripped limb from limb, by a trio of Combat servitors after 2 days of vicious fighting.

Crassos was found by Magos Helnskos himself as he tried to hack back into the Factory's system with his home made cogitator and free himself. Seeing in Crassos a rare skill in the Machine Helnskos gave him a choice. Join him as an Acolyte or be terminated like the rest. With no real choice, Crassos agreed. Since then, Crassos has utterly dedicated himself to the mechanicum, seeing his attack on the factory and being found by the Magos now as the Omnissiahs will.

Acolyte Crassos:
WS    BS     S      T       I      Wp     Sg     Nv     Ld   
33    44    42    43     41     41     46     38     41   

Acolyte Crassos is Right Handed

Weapons:
Revolver with 18 Man Stopper Shells. Implanted Electro flail (Gives the same bonus's as a Mechadendrite)

Equipment:
2 Average Bionic eyes with Range Finder. Average Bionic Arm (str30)

Skills:
Acolyte: Crassos only receives +10% to operate Machinary. However he gets +25% to hack into any computer system and/or open locks.

So, Ok? not ok? Ideas?

MarcoSkoll

The building a suit of power armour... I don't know.

Now, perhaps Crassos' understanding is truly innate and so can transcend his lack of formal education, but as the saying goes, a workman is only as good as his tools, and the question is whether Golgan's workshops had the potential to what not necessarily even every forge world can.

It's not impossible, but it'd benefit from some thoughts about how - is it perhaps based on a industrial load-lifting exo-skeleton? Has the neural interface been copied from bionics? Are the armour plates salvaged from an old Chimera chassis?
For me, a sense that it was a creative use of available components and materials to improvise a primitive suit would still be impressive, but more plausible and explicable than just saying "power armour".

Beyond that, I have no major quibbles about the background.

His profile... while perhaps characterful (although I'm not sure Sg 46 and only +10 to tech-use really speaks of his claimed skill), a Speed 3 character who can't take a punch, shoot particularly straight and no real unique in-game skills is going to be a little underwhelming to play with.

Other than just upgrading some stats, I'd consider finding ways to give him something "different" he can do. Potentially his background could suggest the Machine Empathy power, although that's perhaps not very creative (and likely to boil his brains); on the other hand, while actually writing such a thing could be difficult and be rather scenario/terrain dependent, giving him rules that represent a knack for improvising and modifying technology in the field could give him a rather unique flavour.

However, I'd have to think about how such rules would work (or whether they even could - it may just be too complex).

GW's =I= articles

Lord Borak

Sorry, I should have explained that a bit better (I was in a rush). The powered armour was more like a powered suit of Carapace armour more than anything. With Servo's, possibly fossil fuel based power and built from scrap lying around. More like Ork Mega armour than true power armour. Still, it'd be fairly awesome for some ganger boss to have. As for how it wired into Golgans body, honestly I have no idea. It probably should be directly wired into Golgans brain as, in all fairness, it wouldn't be advanced enough to have fibre bundles. I guess I need to think about Golgan some more (yet another Character!)

As for his stats, fair enough, Machine Empathy is a good substitute but yeah, a bit cliché. I wasn't sure on how to do his Sg/Skills. He's not exactly had a decent schooling so to speak but needed something to make him good with Tech. Maybe I could drop the Sg to 30-40 and make the bonus with tech to +25-30? As for the rest of his stats, I figured they'd be about right for a bit of a 'weed' with only a little bit of combat experience. Think I should up his speed to 4 to make him a bit more useful?