Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Forces of Chaos of the Carthax Sector

Started by Van Helser, May 04, 2015, 12:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

New thread time!

After getting my four daemonhosts finished off (though there will be a bonus one in the next few months thanks to Macabre's sculpting abilities), it's time to move on to my next project. This will be a long running one, as there are many, many facets of Chaos I am looking to explore. This project is coming about as while writing the Xanthite sourcebook, it has struck me in just how lacking my collection is in "baddies". There are plenty of anti-heroes, but no outright enemies of the Imperium. I am going to resolve this problem by putting together followers of Chaos, heretics, and xenos creatures. I am starting out with the former, as there will be a section on the followers of the Dark Gods in the Xanthite book, and I need some models to illustrate it!

The first pair of models are part of the Storm of Brushes challenge (I am counting the last two daemonhosts as part of it too, and hope to get another model done before the end of the month). The first to get some paint on him is a Dark Adept of the Heathen Forge, a heretek of the Dark Mechanicus. The second model is an Heir-Killer of the pirate reaver fleets of Captain Hagen Bloodoath.

The Dark Mechanicus heretek has been rescued from my "box of shame"; that wonderful collection of unfinished projects we all have. After putting the bits together I never managed to get a convincing character formed in my mind until now. I am happy I have, as I really am happy with the build here.

Still a bit of work to do on him yet, but I hope to have him finished by the weekend.

After that, I will be moving on to this brute, who started off as an experiment into seeing just what other model would fit the Crimelord's big cloak. Krieger Krash Thrax and his oversized shoulders just about worked, and with Artemis's big noggin', a model came together. I bulked up some ork arms with ProCreate and came up with this very angry chap. The Heir-Killers are the captains of the Khornate reaver vessels, so called as they must kill their first-born and offer up the skull in sacrifice for command of a ship. Nice guys.

Comments and criticisms appreciated.

Ruaridh

Lord Borak

Love the Dark Mechanicum guy. The green on the back is very cool and I'm kinda jealous that I didn't think of that myself (I might have to go back and do it) for my Mechanicum chap. The 'brute is looking good as well but I can't help but feel those arms are too small for him. Have you tried Ogre/Ogryn arms?

Aurelius

Looking forward to this! I honestly think that the arms are too small too, I think some plastic Ogryn arms from the newer sets would be better. DM looks evil and a cool conversion

KaptiDavy

Well, nice work with those colors... and the ogryn arms will be a bit short I think (although bulky enough) - check out some warboss sized ork arms instead!

Van Helser

Cheers for the feedback all.

I have now finished off the Dark Magos. Had good fun with the freehand on this model.

I am now slapping paint on the Heir-Killer and will hopefully have him done by this time next week. Might just meet the deadline for five Storm of Brushes models at this rate!

Ruaridh

Heroka Vendile

I'm not actually sure i've ever seen that eldar ranger head used on gruss' body, but I'm probably just being forgetful considering how simple and sensible a choice it is.
Looking great as always Ruaridh.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Lord Borak

The model looks great mate. The Blending on the grey and the Hazard stripes look especially awesome.

On a completely non-painting related note, where did you get the laspistol from?

Heroka Vendile

It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Lord Borak

I even have that model. It being on a left hand threw me.... ::)

Van Helser

Heroka is spot on with the laspistol. It's on a hand from the hand sprue (surprisingly enough).

Just about managed to get the reaver captain finished today. He hit the gym and has beefier arms thanks to the liberal application of ProCreate. All the bare flesh was crying out for some freehand, so I have tried my best to give his arms tattoos and his chest has a freshly applied Khornate symbol in some poor soul's blood. I think I am happiest with the weathering on the chainsword though.

Taking a wee break from Chaos goons to paint up an Ordo Xenos interrogator for the Storm of Brushes. Still hoping to beat the June 1st deadline for the 5 models!

Ruaridh

Alyster Wick

The painting is beautiful on all of these pieces. Great freehand, and the power meter on the back of the mechanicus character is inspired. My favorite part of both pieces is that they could pass as imperial or chaotic based on the build, but it's the paint job that lets you know what side they're on. Also, I've been a fan of the Heir-Killer concept since I first read your text on them, it's cool to see one come to life.

Van Helser

Cheers Alyster.

So after taking a break to get things finished for the IGT and the last model for the Storm of Brushes contest I have got back to work on some more disciples of the Dark Gods. I ordered a couple of sets of everyone's favourite Eisenhorn knock-offs from Moscow, and have got to work converting the first lot into a group of cultists.

A couple of head and weapon swaps, additional kit, some re-sculpting of their clown feet, and a couple of sculpted masks have them in position for painting up. Just have to wait on some Army Painter spray primer to arrive and then I can get cracking.

Ruaridh

DapperAnarchist

I'm starting to think that more of the Russian Eisenhorns have been used for the parts that aren't strictly breaking copyright than for the parts that are...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Lord Borak

I've already said that I think the Forearms/Hands are too small but.... wow. That paint job rocks. The face is just awesome..

Those random gangers are looking pretty ace as well. Keep up the good work man!

Van Helser

Seems to have taken me a lot longer than I intended to update this thread. Oops. Anyhow, I have painted the converted Insurgents.  The Children of the Abyss are ready to assault the Carthax sector with their heresies!

I used Army Painter Chaotic Red as the base coat for them. I used Calthan Brown for the leather, Tin Bitz for the metal and Rakarth Flesh for the skin. A wash of Devlan Mud for all but the skin (which got Leviathan Purple) followed by some stark highlights got these guys pumped out quickly. No real flair to the painting, but for NPCs I reckon they look good.

I have a couple more cults in mind now, but have also started work on converting an Artemis miniature into an Alpha Legionnaire in Mk V armour. It's proving to be a slog. I have done a bit more work since this photo, but I keep going back to it to redo the sculpting. Don't expect anything too soon!

Ruaridh