Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Forces of Chaos of the Carthax Sector

Started by Van Helser, May 04, 2015, 12:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

Man, those NPCs are looking good. I was thinking of doing some GS masks on my Insurgents as well, glad to see it works so well/sad that I'm not the first.

Thanks for the info re: your painting process. I have a large batch of minis to paint up and may steal that combo. Looking forward to seeing how the alpha legionnaire comes along.

Lord Borak

The skin tone on those Chaos Cultists is really nice mate. Conversion work looks good as well, the stone head looks great on those models and the 'Immortan Joe' Head is nicely executed too.

Are you done with the bases? I think they flagstones could do with a wash or two to dirty them up. A Green/Brown/Black mix wash over grey is good for a nice slate look.

Mike Blake

I cannot believe that the NPCs are from the Tehnolog figures! They are superb conversions and you may say a simple paint job but I say frakin' excellent!!

Like another poster I'd thought of doing these up as some baddies but needed inspiration-well, now I have it.

I did some 'Blood Cult' figures in 1/18th scale a while back and wish my attempts at the dark red look had worked as well as the one you have created.

Van Helser

Thanks for the kind words. I do plan to dirty up the bases.

Having done a set of these guys with next to no conversion work it was a nice challenge to differentiate the next bunch enough to stand out from the others.

I can't recommend Army Painter sprays enough when it comes to base coating models, and Chaotic Red is just a brilliant shade.

Ruaridh

Van Helser

There hasn't been much of an update here for a while, but that all changes with a week off from work starting now!

Hobby time for the last couple of months has been taken up with my entries for EpiCompetition over on Tactical Command, but now that the fiddly work of 6mm painting is out of the way I have been able to turn my attention back to 54mm. Since I last updated here I had started work on a Slaaneshi cult (WIP shots of which had appeared on The Carthaxian Inquisitor Facebook page). After a flurry of brushwork this afternoon I have managed to get this next lot of goons painted to a tabletop standard.

The models started life as Artmaster/Technolog roman gladiators that came from Russia along with the Insurgents used for the previous cult. Rather than go for the typical Slaaneshi cult of scantily-clad ladies, I thought a cult of physique obsessed gym monkeys would make more an interesting departure from the norm. The absurdly muscular gladiators fit the bill perfectly, and after some hacking and addition of GW parts and some sculpting, the models were ready for a basecoat of Army Painter Barbarian Flesh paint.

I was keen to go for a bright scheme in contrast to the dark and grubby red of the Children of the Abyss, so got out my Liche Purple and Shining Gold and went to town. Calthan Brown provided for the leather, and Mithril Silver for any other metals.

At this point the models had come to life and like this they stayed for the best part of two months... Until today I started shading with washes (Leviathan Purple, Ogryn Flesh, Gryphonne Sepia and Nuln Oil) and then added some brief highlights. A smattering of Slaaneshi tattoos finished them off and the bases were finished latterly.

And there we have them. It was quite good fun going for some brighter models for a change. The models are hardly masterpieces, but I am happy with them for filling the role of NPC goons.

I hope to get some work done on the Alpha Legionnaire this week, but my focus is going to be the Xanthite Inquisitors I have in various stages of construction on my desk right now.

Ruaridh

Lord Borak

Nice models mate. The conversions are quite cool and the stretched mouth is freakishly cool. Paint jobs are nice despite the quickness of application.

Slightly jealous that could can afford to throw two chainswords on NPCs.

Alyster Wick

Great group of NPCs. Would love to see a group shot of your various cultists at some point.

RobSkib

As always, inspiring stuff. A clean Dark Mechanicus conversion pulled off brilliantly with simple bits. The paintjob on the second chap is superb as well, although (and this is perhaps my fault for ignoring the 'clave for over a year and not commenting sooner...) I feel his shoulders might be too broad, his right arm seems to come under him at an awkward angle from the photo. Still, I'm nitpicking as I have very little else other than praise!

Chaos cultists are lovely - I think I saw one or two pop up on Facebook at one point. They will indeed die historic on the Chaos Fury Road.

Lovely Slaanesh goons as well - definitely makes me want to put another order in for more throwaway cultists. Last time I checked on ebay their stock was a little thin on the ground - did you have this problem too, or do you think their stock just rotates round?

An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Van Helser

I will try and get a group shot of all the nefarious dudes once I've got the project finished off. It is getting trickier to source these models from Russia now. I bought a load some years ago that are only now getting used. I have such a pile of unfinished models it's not funny.

The last couple of nights have seen me get back to work on the Alpha Legionnaire. After hacking up the legs and making an upright pose, it had totally neutered any sense of action in the model so I broke it back up again and have put him back together in a sneaking pose. He's needing more cabling under the left pauldron, and the centre of the power cables on the chest needs redone. I am not sold on his grenade launcher yet - a foregrip and stock are needed, and the iron sight isn't that great. He will be toting Blind grenades to aid his sneakiness, and will do most of his work with his knife. He will have a bolter just in case he encounters any Astartes...

Any thoughts folks?

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

He looks pretty good to me.

There's something about his posing that reminds me of the Space Marine game (although I don't know why, as the game doesn't let you crouch!) which has got me in a mind to perhaps redo my (currently disassembled due to a terrible and old paint job) Astartes in the armour I use for the game's multiplayer - the DLC Salamander set. Could be interesting.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Lord Borak

Nice!! seems to me like he should be festooned with Knives if that's his thing. Maybe just give him a Bolt Pistol if he's a close combat sneaker abouter.

Alyster Wick

I'm really like the marine. I love how he's gigantic, wielding a grenade launcher in one hand, and sneaking. Personally I like the grenade launcher, though you could Chaos it up a bit with an arrow or some gargoyles or something.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on January 17, 2016, 03:57:41 PM
There's something about his posing that reminds me of the Space Marine game

Could it be the grenade launcher? Similar to the Vengeance Launcher (or whatever it was).

MarcoSkoll

No, it's probably the knife. I usually play in the Exterminatus/horde mode as a Tactical Marine, and the early zones in particular tend to involve a gratuitous amount of stabbing Orks in the face.

The later stages tend to be "Holy-Saint-Sebastian-that-Ork-is-huge-where's-my-plasmagun-oh-Throne-there's-three-of-them-aaaaaaand-now-the-Chaos-Marines-have-turned-up-and-I'm-out-of-ammo". The completion rate is tough; I've only completed the final stage on three occasions - surprisingly, one of those times, our team was a Marine short.

Damn good fun though. Definitely one of the best representations of super soldiers I've seen in video games, as it manages to make you feel powerful but without being invulnerable. (A lot of settings promise fun options like throwing people through walls, but then make it entirely ineffective).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

Glad the initial impressions were positive. The Legionnaire is pretty much done now, though I would like feedback on the final build.

Ruaridh

seaglen

Very menacing! - what colours will he be sporting?