Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Forces of Chaos of the Carthax Sector

Started by Van Helser, May 04, 2015, 12:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Borak

Looking good. Love the Helmet. What are you using to sculpt with by the way?

RobSkib

Awesome, the little details like the stock and strap on the grenade launcher really pull it together.

Personally, I'm not 100% sold on your wee balls. I think you've got (excuse me) ball overload. I think it's because they're on both legs, the head and the left pad, and it sits awkwardly between 'quartered' and 'centred'. Filing them down on the left leg would give it more of a quartered look (something like this).

Great work, can't wait to see it painted!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Van Helser

Couldn't get those links to work Rob, but I get the point. One of the reasons I chose mk V armour was for the bodged together with rivets everywhere look. I wonder if removing some from the right leg would lose the effect? I used old 28mm mk V models as a reference for this:

Everywhere but the right shoulder pad is made of the sub-par ceramite that characterised this very rushed mark of armour (also, does anyone else get a Futurama robot vibe from the guy on the right?!).

Borak, I am using ProCreate and Milliput for the sculpting, but took press moulds of the helmet and shoulder pads to create the ones we see here out of ProCreate. All the rivets are little balls of ProCreate cut in two and then glued in place.

The colour scheme will be like these 6mm Legionnaires that are winning me the Onslaught Miniatures category over on Tactical Command:

It uses Tamiya Clear Green and Clear Blue over a silver base to create a metallic turquoise.

Cheers

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Van Helser on February 04, 2016, 04:55:10 PMCouldn't get those links to work Rob, but I get the point.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40kfanon/images/2/25/Marine_colour_one.jpg
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55/desnifter/spacemarine.jpg

I think Rob may have put "quotation marks" around the address when he put it into the [url=]tags[/url]
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

Have you given any thought to putting him on a larger base? Something looks slightly off with the pose but I'm convinced it's just that the base is too small (as an aside, I think a larger base makes sense for a marine).

RobSkib

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 04, 2016, 05:30:46 PM
I think Rob may have put "quotation marks" around the address when he put it into the [url=]tags[/url]

Bah, you're right. I've not used BBcode in quite some time. Fixed!

Quote from: Van Helser on February 04, 2016, 04:55:10 PM
Couldn't get those links to work Rob, but I get the point. One of the reasons I chose mk V armour was for the bodged together with rivets everywhere look. I wonder if removing some from the right leg would lose the effect?

Aha I see! Well then, I bow to superior references. I was trying to find a reference for what I had in my head, but it turns out that I was probably mis-remembering something anyway.

Do you uh.. have any slightly larger examples of the colour scheme you're using? It looks awesome from here though!

An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Van Helser

Thought I'd share some progress on the Legionnaire.

It's not been a happy month of painting I must admit. I have found the Tamiya "clear" paints difficult to work with, and really wish I had practiced on a couple of other models first before slapping them onto the Legionnaire. Of course, the techniques I had used on the 6mm models did not transfer up the scales, and I was left with a blotchy mess after a few coats. I hummed and hawed about stripping the model, but was worried about what would happen to all the ProCreate in there, so elected to respray with more Army Painter Platemail Metal. I have lost some detail, but it's not terminal (I think).

I refined my technique (mainly by taking things a lot slower to avoid puddles of paint drying unevenly), and after about 8 coats of Tamiya paint, some highlighting with metallics and a Guilliman Blue glaze I have the armour where I just about want it to be. I love the metallic effect of blue/green that Forgeworld have used on their Alpha Legion models, and I am really quite happy with the luster that the model has. I have also tried to use washes to give the power cabling a heat-damaged look.

There is plenty more to be done, so I best get back to painting!

Ruaridh

Lord Borak

Love the armour! That's really come together.

mcjomar

That's a really cool effect.
I like the way the highlighting works with the way the paint has flowed.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Aurelius

Oh man, love the two-tone armour on this! Can't wait to see him finished.
What's his name?.... Alpharius?  ;D

Van Helser

Quote from: Aurelius on March 02, 2016, 02:45:30 AM
What's his name?.... Alpharius?  ;D

Why of course!

Today has seen many details getting added. I have been working off this image for iconography ideas. The photo doesn't quite make out things perfectly, but it gives a good impression of what I have achieved.

The armour needs some weathering now. I have had some thoughts of what should go on the scroll, and I believe it should be 'Imperator', just to further muddy the waters as to the Legion's true motivations.

Ruaridh

Lord Borak

Alyster Wick

That is pretty damn impressive. Well done sir. The pic isn't 100% clear but from what I can tell it's incredibly well executed.

Van Helser

Thanks guys.

After some fun with weathering powders and moving to a 60mm base, I have finished. Can't help but feel good about this model. It took a lot of trial and error, and I am really glad with how it has turned out. Definitely worth the stress!

Ruaridh

mcjomar

Some very impressive work on the iconography.
I like the decoration for the base too.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.