Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Forces of Chaos of the Carthax Sector

Started by Van Helser, May 04, 2015, 12:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Borak

Wow, everything on that is fantastic. The Blue-Green. The freehand. The dust effect. Everything.

Van Helser

Glad he's liked by others too.

Next on the production line is an unfortunate that has fallen under the influence of the entity within his daemon weapon. The corrupted shotgun, Spu-toum is a carrier of some foul diseases of Nurgle. Don't pick up guns with faces kids.

Underneath the putty is the Kane model from the film Alien by Andrea Miniatures. I have had it for years, and over time the plastic dome of the helmet discoloured. This heavily inspired the conversion into a disciple of Nurgle, along with the Vile Savants from Dark Heresy (animated hazmat suits). The rotting head within is cast of a self sculpt I did a while ago to make some zombies (another plan that amounted to nothing).

The milliput is still wet, so I will be doing some filing and tidying up before getting some paint on there. Any other ideas?

Ruaridh

mcjomar

I think I've seen Kaled use one of these before - awesome as a base model.
Is the snotgun going to be firing Nurgle's Rot at people?
Similar profile to a plasmagun, but with the Nurgle's Rot rules (I'm hoping/assuming they're in one of the two exterminatus books, 2002 or 2004 that I got).

I'm sort of expecting something with a similar paintscheme to the death guard, except if this is a corrupted explorator, that would end up being a mix of that and AdMech colours instead, with slowly creeping corruption and sickness across the model, as it slowly progresses through his body, invading every cell.
Tentacles, maggots, pustules, weeping sores, etc. Maybe he even leaves spores that grow into new snotguns to infect other worlds?
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

seaglen

Wow that corrupted Daemonic gun-wielding explorer is great - a lot of character.
I love the idea of a Daemon gun - almost says "Devil May Cry" Playstation game to me...

as for colours, i'd be interested to see where you go with it - I like the idea of brown/orange rust, and some nice biliious greens on the more slimey parts!

KaptiDavy

Really nice version of a classic fig!
A daemon infested NPC from the Navis Primer came to my mind... check it out if You haven't heard about it  ;)

blacknight

First off the nurgle guy looks great, echoing earlier comments would be interesting to see ad-mech exploritor reds for the suits offset by the gunge and pus of the nurgles rot,  especially if the suit was still quiet bright and vibrant.  lovely idea to do a deamon shotgun too, so used to them just being combat weapons.

Next the Alpha Legionaire, all I have to say is wow....  Great model and paint job.  Definitely not someone you would want to meet in a dark alley.  Also game wise Alpha legion make alot of sense to be present.  Just trying to work out what the blue on his base is, I am guessing it is a half buried marine helmet but the extra shadow underneath is throwing me off a bit.

Marc/blacknight
Well you can do what you want, the technical branch are going to stay here and keep her afloat!! - Diesel CPO Otto Fricke, U505, Nov 10 1942 - On being ordered to abandon ship.

Van Helser

Thanks everyone.

@blacknight - The marine helmet is an Ultramarine one, it's just been dirtied up a lot as it's spent so long on the ground.

@KaptiDavy - I have just re-read the Navis Primer. This character is fairly similar, except he was once a Rogue Trader that was a bit too curious and picked up the gun. He's now spreading disease wherever he goes!

@seaglen - rust and a dirty space suit were always the direction I planned to go in.

@mcjomar - Kaled did indeed do an explorator using this model. The gun has a couple of daemon weapon rules that I have come up with for the WIP Xanthite Sourcebook:

Filth Eater
The daemon hungers for poisons and toxins to fuel its essence. When the weapon is drawn, the bearer cannot be affected by any toxins in any form.

Vomitorium
Drooping maws line the weapon, leaking putrescent bile and maggots from their rotten lips, that is vomited out on command. Once per turn, the bearer may unleash a wave of filth at his foes. This shooting attack counts as a hand flamer, that inflicts an additional D6 damage if its target fails a Toughness test, but cannot set the target on fire.

Here's where I've got to with the painting. Any opinions on the colouration? The former Rogue Trader is meant to look washed out and decayed, while the gun is vibrant and alive; feeding off the essence of the body it controls.

Ruaridh

Lord Borak

love the contrast between the guy and the weapon. they both stand out in very different ways.

If I were to say anything I'd have added a bit more 'flesh' to the green skin. at the moment he's almost the same as most of my goblins. to make him look more 'sickly' i'd have done a pale grey flesh with lots of bruising and green/purple tints to it. Although i'm not sure if that would look good with the colour you've chosen for the suit. Anyway, that's just how I would have done it. It looks great as is! Are you going to add some drool effect to the weapon?

Van Helser

In the end, I decided to do away with the purple for the gun. It just wasn't Nurgle-y enough. I added some PVA to the tip of the tongue to try and get a drool effect... It worked okay.

Borak, I know what you mean about the skin, but I went for the lurid green to stand out against the drab dirt of the suit.

The fiddliest and worst part of finishing the model was cutting the plastic of the helmet to fit under the bracing on the top. Took so much cutting and cursing.

Here's Seret van der Poel, Daemon Vessel:

Ruaridh

Lord Borak

He looks great as is! He does look a bit monotone now that the Gun-Face is pallid green a swell though. I'd be tempted to add some yellowish, purpleish, blood leaking from sores and the joints in his armour. Just to break it up a bit. A big blood shot eye on the gun would look good as well :D

The rusted metal is great though. How did you do that?

mcjomar

I'd jokingly suggest an umbrella symbol too.

Loving the look on the snotgun.
I agree with the one bloodshot eye idea.
I'd avoid purple though.
Yellows are more likely to work I think.
Like pus and jaundice.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Van Helser

Bloodshot eye is a good shout, as well as some liver spots I think.

The rusty metal was done with a few coats of very thin Bestial Brown washed over the Army Painter Skeleton Bone base. A really diluted Devlan Mud wash added some shadowing. A light drybrush with Boltgun Metal followed, and lastly some splodges of Macharius Orange were applied at random.

Ruaridh

Lord Borak

I'm stealing that technique. Thanks for that. I assume the skeleton bone base colour is similar to bleached bone?

Van Helser

Van Helser

Had some valid criticism of the Legionnaire - the grenade launcher looked very plain and almost unfinished in comparison with the rest of the model. I have added some detailing now in the form of a hydra on either side of the barrel. This proved very hard to photograph, but managed to get it in focus with a piece of paper between the gun and the base.

I've also got a wee sneak peek of some gribblies for my IGT scenario. Hellmites from Heresy Miniatures:

Cheers

Ruaridh