Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Mounted models in Inquisitor?

Started by Aurelius, May 31, 2015, 10:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurelius

Hi all, so I picked this awesome guy up at a bring and buy today (not my pics,  just from the Internet),

And it made me wonder - has anyone made any rules for mounted models in inquisitor? If not how would you handle them? Should I try and make a mounted and dismounted version, or not bother? If I go this route how would I justify him never dismounting?

Your thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated! Cheers Aurelius

greenstuff_gav

i've got a bike; must admit i simply modified the 40k 2nd edition rules; 3 speeds, changing once per turn but a search gave me Koval's rules which maybe worth a try?
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

DapperAnarchist

How interchangable are the Inquisitor rules and those old Witch Hunter/INQFantasy rules? That has horses...

You could try and smudge rules together out of NPC rules (don't want to treat the riding beast as a full character, just for speed of play purposes, unless it's a small game, in which case go for it? It really just needs T, S, WS, some kind of Nv/Ld analogue, and perhaps a simple Speed that is overridden by the rider's Speed) and the hit rules from the Alien Generator article - a quadruped with an inaccessible Groin would cover it.

Wow, that last sentence went to a weird place actually...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on June 01, 2015, 10:03:24 AMa quadruped with an inaccessible Groin would cover it.
To copy something I posted on Ammobunker a few months back, I'm not sure I really agree.

Medically and anatomically, the torso of most vertebrates is traditionally broken up into three parts - the thorax, abdomen and pelvis - and I think it's fair to map those onto the three locations we get in game. As such, I wouldn't generalise to "groin = where humans keep their genitals" (although it's certainly funny in game), because the pelvis is also the location of major arteries, major support structure (I know people who've fractured bones in their pelvis, and suffice to say it's not funny) and the like, even if the actual genitals might be well hidden*.

* But to be frank, a quadruped's genitals are very often NOT well hidden.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Aurelius

I think more what I was thinking of was how to deal with the model in game in terms of mounted/dismounted. If I try and make a dismounted model too, it's going to be a lot of difficult press molding to make the rider on foot look the same. And forget about a rider less mount....
A thought I had was that they have some kind of symbiotic relationship, when one dies the feedback from the Mind Impulse Unit kills the other, and the rider needs to stay plugged in during battle to prevent his mount going berserk... or something like that, a fluffy contrivance to avoid making the model on foot.

Any ideas along those lines?

P.s. great bike Gav,  did you ever finish it?
p.p.s. That last line made me laugh haha  ;) Good ideas though, food for thought

Holiad

Personally, I'm a bit dubious about the viability of a character that can't dismount, simply because it feels like too much of a limit to where they can go. In most of the inquisitor games I've played, much of the action ended up taking place in environments that would be inaccessible to most mounts.
Poor noble Marech
Noone 'till the end could see
Your brave heart of fire

greenstuff_gav

the bike is pretty much finished, just needs undercoating!
the rider i made mounted and unmounted; careful posing (or magnets) could mean the animal / vehicle can be used without rider then you'd just need 2 riders; i made 'em with same components (helmet & scope) but different poses (the paintjob should bring 'em together but one's got a helmet on, the other has it on his belt as example)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Aurelius

I am also dubious about a character which cannot dismount, as I agree that this really limits the locations they can fight in.
My main issue with this idea is the legs are in fact cast onto the mount! But a plan is beginning to formulate....

- magnetise the torso of the rider so that it is removable
- push mould the legs, tidy up and reposition with sculpting
- now have a 'on foot' pair of legs with magnet to receive torso of rider

This just leaves the mount with some disembodied legs on it - for this I am thinking a bit outside the box here, but perhaps a removable 'horse blanket' (for want of a better word.... ok 'giant mutated cyber ferret lizard blanket'), which slips over the back and covers the leftover legs. This could be piled high with gear and blankets to make it look a bit more natural. What do you think, I am leaning towards this idea?