Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Legacy - a proposed narrative event, date TBC

Started by MarcoSkoll, August 29, 2015, 12:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Blake

I am interested, dependent on date of course. Have not played I for a very long time and would need help, perhaps by pairing with an experienced player? I had been been working GW and non-GW 54mm I-type figure conversions but butterfly-brained to other things - this would give me a focus.

(Help please - Does a reply mean I'auto-signed up for further posts-I can't see a 'subscribe' button?)

MarcoSkoll

We can generally handle inexperienced and out of practice players. It won't really be possible to pair up players (as the plot structure isn't going to be built that way), but hopefully we'll have some able gents volunteering to GM a game during the day*.

*A GM is not going to be vital for every scenario I'm planning, but some concepts I'm working on will really struggle without. The difficulty I've got at the moment is that I've got more scenarios that I want to to run personally than I possibly can!

Quote(Help please - Does a reply mean I'auto-signed up for further posts-I can't see a 'subscribe' button?)
No, you want the "Notify me of replies" tick-box in the "Attachments and other options" drop down menu under the post window.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Mike Blake

I said I butterflied...just got back to this. Have licked on notify now so will get further updates but it looks like nothing more has happened with this idea?

Cortez

At the moment we don't have a date for this event yet (although Marco is still planning it). It looks like we'll probably have the IGT first in around March/April (see http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2582.0). Don't get scared away by the tournament idea though, it's usually a really fun day and will teach/reteach you many of the basics of the game including gamesmastering.

Mike Blake

Thanks Cortez, that's very helpful on both counts. I'd be more than happy just to get to the gig and soak up atmosphere, and perhaps bring along a few models.

MarcoSkoll

Legacy has definitely not been forgotten - I am still working on it, but I want to be mostly done before I start making announcements. Ideally, that will include finding the motivation to work more on Leander, as I'd like her to be taking a significant role in the plot. (So I can pretend there's actually a use for a Warhound titan in Inquisitor).

I'd also add that I've been involved in running the last three 'Clave events, so I won't mind someone else taking a turn first! :P

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Colour me interested - though considering the dating/timeline I'm not 100% which of my warbands I would use for this, in relation to the character backgrounds for them.

One issue is that the leader of the one I'd use if I painted them up in time is Inquisitor Jack Jomar (middle to late in his career) carrying both Bolt pistol and Power Sword (intended to be a mark of how much influence he has gathered over the decades), and backed up by three others (one with a sword and some daggers (assassin conversion), one with a pistol and handbow (barbaretta conversion), and one with shock baton and plasma gun (heavy conversion using judge, guardsman, and covenant parts, with an SM plasma cannon converted to look like a bespoke/older model plasmagun). That would - (by my rough envisaged timeline) be appropriate to the timeline of this event.

Alternately, Helena (my orechiel model with minor conversion for the pistol into a bolt pistol - normal sword only, but she's psychic) could turn up with my thieving Rogue Trader (he likes to steal your flying vehicles), which would also fit.

Then there's my standalone 54mm version of my 28mm Inquisitor who currently hasn't got anyone to go to the party with (though I have a vague idea that might change that). Trouble is, he wields (much like the 28mm Gideon Lorr model he's based on) a plasma pistol and power fist. No backup weapons though, and not a lot in the way of armour - flak maybe at most.
Of course, the backup for him would be his rather puritanical acolyte, when she's dressed up in some power armour, with a bolt pistol and  her trusty hammer (though I'm thinking of forcing her to wield her laspistol instead at 54mm scale, just to tone her back a bit). But that'll take some conversion work to find a suitable one-handed hammer, plus fashion her hood and braid onto the model (based on the daemon huntress of course - wonderful model for a sister of battle, really).
I'll admit I'm sort of tempted to have the Inquisitor travel alone, just to balance it out. But he sort of seems (when I look at him as a character) to almost need at least one other model to back him up.

The other warband would be Interrogator Jack Jomar (rather early in his career) and the Inquisitor who trained him - the only high end weapon here is a plasma pistol, backed up by swords, shotguns, pistols, etc and nothing very strong outside of that. Could be explained by warp related time travel shenanigans, or similar, only two models, possibly some theft of flying vehicles still, but I'm not entirely sure it would fit in with the story if I explained it that way.

I've got a squad of three enforcers (two barbaretta models, one with open helm, and one judge model), but I don't think I'd play those as prime characters - more likely to be NPCs.

After that, there's my 28mm band (bands? still not decided yet), but outside of my Lorr model, I don't have 54mm versions.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

I am prepared to see things played loose with the timeline; after all, the Imperial dating system even has to list margins of error. If earlier versions of characters would be more appropriate, the warp did it.

Some of those characters definitely sound rather powerful, but there are ways to balance that up a bit. (I can also say that, given that one of the planned plot lines will hopefully involve Leander, they may well still find themselves unbelievably outclassed).

I don't currently know about 28mm, as previous attempts at dual-scale events haven't had huge response, so it may be that it'll eventually be jut 54mm scale.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

I'm guessing Leader is going to be a pretty powerful threat.

The powerful characters (always the leader) are at most one per warband (the plasmagunner being the exception will probably be offset somehow to make him interesting - I'm thinking he was a stormtrooper, but more than that I have yet to decide).
I could write a lot on the topic in regards Inquisitor, but that's something for another thread and has probably been rehashed many times over the history of this community dating back to the SG boards when I first turned up.

In regards at least the more experienced version of Jack Jomar, he and the stormtrooper are the "loud" members (though I'm thinking I could easily revert to his earlier model for if he needs to be stealthy) while his other two members (a thief and assassin respectively) are both lower tech (stubber, handbow, dagger on the first, and a sword and some daggers on the second) and stealth focussed.

I seem to aim for a mix of "loud" and "stealth" when I create warbands, even in the smallest ones, along with generally trying to at least build some sort of mix of skills, though I don't tend to have any Mechanicus characters (except in 28mm), which may be an oversight on my part - I've never tended to have as much interest in the Mechanicus as I have in the Inquisition or those who would be used by such. I guess that leaves a glaring weakness in most, if not all of my warbands, as they have to rely on building good relations with the Mechanicus at large, rather than having an allied techpriest among their number.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Raghnall

Quote from: mcjomar on February 23, 2016, 09:11:14 AM
I'm guessing Leader is going to be a pretty powerful threat.
Leander is Marco's 54mm scale Warhound titan. From what I understand, it's intended as more of a plot device with a model, as in a direct confrontation, it would utterly, hilariously outclass any conventional character. Obviously an Alpha-plus psyched or Primarch would stand a chance, but they're really not appropriate for Inquisitor.

The powerful characters (always the leader) are at most one per warband (the plasmagunner being the exception will probably be offset somehow to make him interesting - I'm thinking he was a stormtrooper, but more than that I have yet to decide).
I could write a lot on the topic in regards Inquisitor, but that's something for another thread and has probably been rehashed many times over the history of this community dating back to the SG boards when I first turned up.

In regards at least the more experienced version of Jack Jomar, he and the stormtrooper are the "loud" members (though I'm thinking I could easily revert to his earlier model for if he needs to be stealthy) while his other two members (a thief and assassin respectively) are both lower tech (stubber, handbow, dagger on the first, and a sword and some daggers on the second) and stealth focussed.
Plasma guns, despite been powerful, are heavy, inaccurate, unreliable and take a long time to reload/recharge. With some interesting and characterful drawback, it shouldn't be too hard to balance the plasma gunner. Jack Jomar is a little more challenging, and from the way you talk I gather you've already got a model, but the power sword could always be downgraded to another fancy weapon, such as a shock sword. It might take some thought, but there are definitely ways to deal with them.

I guess that leaves a glaring weakness in most, if not all of my warbands, as they have to rely on building good relations with the Mechanicus at large, rather than having an allied techpriest among their number.
Despite their best efforts, the Adeptus Mechanicus don't have a complete monopoly on technology. They are the best, and can hold whole organisations to ransom, but Inquisitors should be able to employ individuals with sufficient skills. Take for example Lykos Athanas. Although still work in progress, he will eventually be part of my namesake's warband. He was born on a rogue trader vessel and fell in with reclaimator gangs from a young age, before doing some private work for the Mechanicus*. He's a phenomenal pilot and while his knowledge is no match for a magos, he still knowns far more about technology than most people outside the machine cult, allowing him to fulfil most tech-related tasks without having to rely on a techpriest.

*Plausible deniability sort of stuff.

mcjomar

I'm afraid I do already have a model for Jack circa his 160-something year of service.
Eisenhorn base, covenant head, kitbashed power sword in sheath on his back to replace the staff component, and 2nd ed style plastic bolter standing in as a bolt pistol in the right hand in place of the stubber. I think there's a few other bits that are different, but that's about it.

If I had either A) a Kal Jericho sword in sheath (already in use on my Kal model, which is my RT in another band), or B) covenants backpack (ordered, and it'll come with two stubbers in holsters, which is one of my favourite components)) and a shock baton hand from the judge model (to replace eisenhorn's staff hand on the left), then I might try a different approach, but I did want to have at least one character knocking about with that scale of equipment (usually for situations when that character would reasonably consider the situation threatening enough). It probably doesn't help that he's also a psyker. Either way, I at least need something to cover up that gap on the back in terms of bits if I were to pull off the power sword (which in fairness, I'd like to keep, as noted). For most situations I could easily continue to use his "Interrogator" model, however, as that would be comfortable to represent more standard investigation, rather than the "shock and awe" approach - it's basically the judge model with a covenant headswap.

RE: the plasmagunner, I'm not sure what else would be suitable balance after how risky and slow the plasmagun can be. I'm sure there's something though.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Raghnall on February 23, 2016, 05:10:02 PMLeander is Marco's 54mm scale Warhound titan. From what I understand, it's intended as more of a plot device with a model
I'm working on her mostly as a display piece, so perhaps more of a model with a plot device, but essentially yes.

As a narrative element, she can easily justify her importance in a high stakes plot, forces characters to think laterally (she is not a problem that can be solved by force of arms) and can have a character and develop a history of her own.
In comparison, things like my 54mm Rhino/Razorback or Sentinel are useful models, but just don't shape and direct a narrative in the same way.

QuotePlasma guns, despite been powerful, are heavy, inaccurate, unreliable and take a long time to reload/recharge.
Yeah, the recharge mechanic does make the rulebook version less than entirely fun whichever way it goes. You don't really want to get hit by it, nor miss with the only shot you'll get for the next three turns!

I presume it's mechanically supposed to represent heat dissipation, but it doesn't exactly suit the limited shot count (the 3rd Ed 40k rulebook quotes a plasma gun as 10 shots, the DH book lists 20 - although I suppose neither is a big concern at one shot every three turns) or the potential for rapid fire (which we see in 40K and several of the video games).

While a little more complex, I wrote the overheating mechanics for the RIA version to try and hit a compromise - it's not necessarily a good idea to fire fast, but you can do it.

QuoteDespite their best efforts, the Adeptus Mechanicus don't have a complete monopoly on technology.
I haven't touched on it much with what's posted yet, but I've played with similar concepts in the Ad Vitam Aeternam story. As Jax is considered Extremis Diabolus by M44, her staff has to include quite a lot of individuals outside the Mechanicus* - some of them are "rogue" techpriests, but others who have never been officially affiliated with the AdMech.

* Although not exclusively. As she's actually well intentioned, can be quite persuasive, has a lot of ways of enticing people and is a bad idea to cross (she's immortal. Stabbing her in the back is more dangerous to you than it is to her), a lot of her allies are actually in official positions.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 27, 2016, 04:00:22 AM
In comparison, things like my 54mm Rhino/Razorback or Sentinel are useful models, but just don't shape and direct a narrative in the same way.

I think it depends how you write things up.
For example, on my Inquisitors uses an Arvus Lighter (heavily customised) as a personal transport.
Because of the customization, it's like a second home, meaning it could come into play as a narrative element fairly easily.
The fact that I haven't built a model for it yet kind of puts a crimp in that, but still.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 27, 2016, 04:00:22 AM
While a little more complex, I wrote the overheating mechanics for the RIA version to try and hit a compromise - it's not necessarily a good idea to fire fast, but you can do it.

The base rulebook does include rules for rapid fire (you drop a D10 in damage for that second shot, but increase the risk of an overheat (or worse)).

EDIT: for clarity, both shots drop to 2D10 damage.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on February 27, 2016, 09:15:50 AMBecause of the customization, it's like a second home, meaning it could come into play as a narrative element fairly easily.
Certainly, but my point wasn't about whether they can be a narrative element, but about how they can be. ("don't shape and direct a narrative in the same way").

There are certainly scenarios in which players can be convinced that a Rhino or Arvus is an important, but they're different scenarios to ones in which a Titan is important.
A Rhino might allow the characters to escape, get them somewhere in time or provide an armoured battering ram that can break into the cultist base, but you're not likely to build up a plausible long term narrative where a Rhino and its driver are legendary figures whose intervention can sway the outcome of a war.

In comparison, players aren't going to need much convincing that Princeps Helane Rogen is important.

QuoteThe fact that I haven't built a model for it yet kind of puts a crimp in that, but still.
An Arvus is probably one of the next couple of things on my vehicle build list, along with maybe a Tauros. Both are nice designs that should broaden my vehicle collection.

My Rhino/Razorback covers ground transport and "tank" roles (the Razorback is technically an Infantry Fighting Vehicle, but as far as a game of Inquisitor's concerned, it's a well armoured tracked vehicle with a lot of firepower), the Sentinel is a scout walker, Leander (once finished) will be able to play the role of a plot device... so an Arvus would give me a orbital/airborne transport and the Tauros is fast but lightly armoured.

QuoteThe base rulebook does include rules for rapid fire
Two shots with a three turn recharge isn't quite what I would call rapid fire, or really a solution for the problem of it being so underwhelming to miss (your shots are now even less likely to hit, less damaging if they do, and you've got just as long to wait for the recharge).

Inquisitor is the kind of ruleset that can afford to use more detail than that.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Well, when you get round to building an Arvus, I wouldn't mind seeing the blueprints - if I can clear off my current batch of projects, I'm thinking I might want to build one.