Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

54mm Inquisitor Ravenor

Started by Aurelius, October 04, 2015, 05:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurelius

Hi guys,
Cross-post from Lead Adventure forum. Haven't had too much Inquisitor time of late, but have just completed one of my favourite Dan Abnett characters.

I present to you Inquisitor Ravenor!

He can be incognito....

Or be in all-out action mode, and display his Inquisitorial Rosette, with his dual Psycannons deployed from his armoured chair...

He presents a rather large challenge to model - an emotionless armoured chair with few distinguishing external features. But he is such a rich character that I decided to model inside his chair too - it won't be seen often, but for me it adds a lot as you know he is in there, rather than the model just being an empty shell

While Dan doesn't go into huge detail on what he looks like, we do know that he was burnt and very nearly killed, and the chair, and his willpower are the only things keeping him alive.

I tried to add lots of gubbins on the inside for the illusion of life support systems.

And a couple of action shots

He would obviously dominate on the tabletop, so could only really be used when the 'big bad' of an Inquisitor campaign shows up. A fun and unusual project, I really enjoyed making him, hope you like him :)

Cheers, Aurelius

Lord Borak

Wow, that's Epic. What on earth did you use for the base?? Every time I look at the 'life support gubbinz' I see another GW part.

Van Helser

The level of interior detail is insane! Well done on not just doing a shell. I'm far too lazy to go those lengths!

Ruaridh

DapperAnarchist

I absolutely adore the hex-pattern scales/tiles on the exterior, is that spray through a plastic mesh, or a sheet of something placed onto the shell and painted over?
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Alyster Wick

For the hex pattern, is that painted on or is there actual texture to the chair? It's hard to tell. I'm loving the floral pattern on the lower half of the chair. I almost missed it but it's a great detail. Also, is that head scratch-built or off some sort of a tusken raider model? Either way, great choice!

Really beautiful piece over all, great detail. The lights on the front are particularly well executed, I may have to find an excuse to paint some large lenses myself.

MarcoSkoll

It's rather different to how I imagined Ravenor's chair (the idea of an armoured life support system reminded me of Astartes Dreadnoughts, so I imagined something with the same kind of sarcophagus front), but it's an impressive model regardless, particularly with all the effort to model the interior as well.

Good work there.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Aurelius

Wow quite chuffed guys, thanks for the positive response  :)   Will try and answer everyone's queries;

Quote from: Lord Borak on October 04, 2015, 08:52:10 AM
Wow, that's Epic. What on earth did you use for the base?? Every time I look at the 'life support gubbinz' I see another GW part.
Thanks Lord Borak, the base is a the container that Halo Mega Blocks individual figures come in, there are a couple of different shapes (but both equally useful for terrain, 6mm space ships, and many other uses). Lots of the gubbinz, I thought it was important to cram the interior with them.

Quote from: Van Helser on October 04, 2015, 09:37:54 AM
The level of interior detail is insane! Well done on not just doing a shell. I'm far too lazy to go those lengths!
Thanks Ruaridh! Hey I'm lazy too, just had a burst of inspiration after finishing the omnibus!

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on October 04, 2015, 10:48:38 AM
I absolutely adore the hex-pattern scales/tiles on the exterior, is that spray through a plastic mesh, or a sheet of something placed onto the shell and painted over?
Yep so it is actually a pattern on the exterior. That said, if you google 'Clear Horizon Minis' (who makes killer 15mm sci fi), he sells this disposable mask which you stick on and then spray over, to get a hex pattern. He used it on his latest VTOL, and it gives a lot of detail to flat surface.

Quote from: Alyster Wick on October 04, 2015, 05:16:03 PM
For the hex pattern, is that painted on or is there actual texture to the chair? It's hard to tell. I'm loving the floral pattern on the lower half of the chair. I almost missed it but it's a great detail. Also, is that head scratch-built or off some sort of a tusken raider model? Either way, great choice!

Thanks Alyster, yes the head is from the star wars (54mm ish) command models, wrapped in bandages so a good choice. Floral pattern was to break up the boring flat bits, just random doodling but adds a bit of ornateness to him. Thanks for noticing - there is also an Eldar 'Farseer' rune painted on one side, as a nod to Ravenor's work with the Eldar.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on October 05, 2015, 12:50:03 AM
It's rather different to how I imagined Ravenor's chair (the idea of an armoured life support system reminded me of Astartes Dreadnoughts, so I imagined something with the same kind of sarcophagus front), but it's an impressive model regardless, particularly with all the effort to model the interior as well.

Good work there.
Thanks Marco, yes I agree - honestly a really tricky character to model, and obviously people have very different ideas in their mind when they read the books. I think for me I didn't want to go too gothic, and wanted to do my own take on him. He needed to be not overtly Imperial, so that he could go somewhat incognito. I think it might have been hinted that the Eldar were involved somewhere in its construction too, so a bit of sleekness is called for too.

As I said on Lead Adventure, I'm going to have to come up with some kind of really big bad now, so that I can use him on the tabletop. Perhaps even Daemon Prince level!

RobSkib

I saw the first image and had a sensible chuckle. Ahh, classic.

Then I scrolled down and saw the interior. Good gravy, far more work has gone into this than I thought! Well bloody done, chap.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Aurelius

Thanks Rob! Good fun - although imagine him in a game, he would dominate! Need a few daemonhosts to oppose him or something!

Quote from: RobSkib on January 14, 2016, 11:57:03 AM
I saw the first image and had a sensible chuckle. Ahh, classic.

"...Two parts Amasec.... one part Sacra... four parts Recaff... the perfect Emperor's Blessing"
Love me some Danger 5, best thing to come out of Australian TV in years ;)

RobSkib

And don't forget - kill Horus.

The urge to create a Danger 5 warband is rising drastically.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Kaled

I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Aurelius

Haha beat me to it! I'm pretty tempted by these