Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Events in 2016 (Latest news: IRE playtest day?)

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 30, 2015, 03:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

Flights and trains booked. I'll be at the IGT.

Can't do the 23rd though Marco.

Ruaridh

Lord Borak

What sort of times will this thing run from? Are people getting there early? Will it run into late evening? I was just wondering if it's worth booking a room somewhere.

MarcoSkoll

Our events at WHW normally run for the standard 10 to 6 opening hours. (Usually with a little leeway at the start while we set things up).

That's become stricter since their remodelling though, as the entrance is now via the store (they used to be able to close the store separately), so there's no opportunity for overrunning or having a pint and a meal in Bugman's afterwards.

On that note, you may want to bring a packed dinner or look up nearby pubs/restaurants (there are several choices) depending on your transport arrangements.

Quote from: Van Helser on February 18, 2016, 07:33:01 PMCan't do the 23rd though Marco.
I would have been a little surprised if you did.

It's all hypothetical at this stage, anyway. It'll be great if I could get people at the club interested, but if I can or do, I'm not really expecting it to be overnight. If I lure in enough of the members for games or I thought it would help lure them in, then I'd love to use an open day or two for mini-events but we'll have to see where that all goes.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

If you added a "possible" list, you could put me on that.
I'm very tempted to turn up (not least because it gives me an excuse to swing by my parents to say hi - plus an added excuse of being able to pick up some left over bits/minis I left with them for safekeeping), but not 100% that I could confirm.

What would the rules/setup be for this one?
I remember one of the parts was a bit where players would write up scenarios - is that still a component?
Cheers!
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on February 22, 2016, 02:14:49 PMIf you added a "possible" list, you could put me on that.
Indeedy do! I've updated the list(s) to the following.

Confirmed IGT attendees:
Cortez
Greenstuff_Gav
Holiad
MarcoSkoll
RobSkib
Van Helser

Possible IGT attendees:
Lord Borak (pending confirmation from the missus)
mcjomar
Mike Blake
RobSkib's goons

I've also moved people to the Possible list if they've either said they need to confirm or haven't responded since we nailed down an exact date.

QuoteWhat would the rules/setup be for this one?
I remember one of the parts was a bit where players would write up scenarios - is that still a component?
Cortez hasn't yet provided an event pack, but this is the pack from when I ran it last year*.

But yes, it still involves a GMing component (although one format change I made last year did mean that there can be a couple of byes on that, to go either to attendees who want to sit out, those who turn up late, or if necessary, by random ballot).

*I made a couple of format changes from previous years, which to summarise were:
- A three round format, rather than four rounds. This meant some GMing byes, but it gave longer timeslots and meant no-one had to GM twice. (And at the very least, those people did get to play for the entire day).

- No entry fee. Given there's no 54mm range any more, it's hard to guarantee everyone would actually want vouchers.

- I removed the limit on how many characters players could bring. Previously, you were limited to three for the day, but that seemed unnecessary for an event without a linked narrative, and if players feel changing characters or even warbands would make for a better game, why not?

- By extension, players were also allowed to enter any Inquisitor model for the Painting and Modelling round. Previously, it had been limited to one of their three for the day, but that no longer made sense once they could use any characters.
Personally (I was joining in, but had excluded myself from the official rankings for fairness), I entered one of my INQ28 models, although the play on the day was all 54mm.

(In theory, that did mean attendees could re-enter models that had previously done well, but I thought that wasn't worth ruling on; models will generally be less impressive the second time, and it's all a casual event anyway.)

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

Regarding the event pack; are we changing anything from last year or do we think it worked ok regarding the number of rounds etc.?

mcjomar

Taking a very rapid skim through, I might end up being one of the ones with a 'bye' for the GM portion, as I don't have confidence in my rules knowledge as yet (plus I'm pretty rusty) - I'd probably end up winging some of it, or getting it wrong and just guesstimating alternative rules/rolls for things.
Plus I don't currently have any great ideas for scenarios in my head - at least nothing particularly deep, puzzle-ey, or challenging in the mental logic, and twisted hoops area that (to me) characterizes good Inquisitor storytelling.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

greenstuff_gav

As someone whos taken best gm 3 years running, you dont need deep but fun and interesting handouts work wonders!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Cortez on February 22, 2016, 03:31:30 PMRegarding the event pack; are we changing anything from last year or do we think it worked ok regarding the number of rounds etc.?
I'd recommend changing some of the timing. The longer rounds were good to let games run more completely, but some may have been a little too long. Taking back a few minutes of each and using it to pad out the available time for lunch and results calculation would probably be smarter.

I'd suggest something more like:

•   1000       Doors open.
•   1010        Registration begins, Inquisition Quiz distributed.
•   1030-1210    Game One.
•   1220    Models submitted for Painting & Modelling competition.
•   1220-1330   Lunch and Painting & Modelling voting
•   1330        Inquisition Quiz collected and models can be collected from the Painting & Modelling competition.
•   1330-1510    Game Two.
•   1520-1700   Game Three.
•   1700-1745    Free time. Some Chapter Masters view this period of free time as an unwarranted luxury at best and a dangerous distraction at worst. (Okay, really results calculation)
•   1745       Results and Awards.
•   1800       Doors close.

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on February 22, 2016, 04:14:59 PM
As someone whos taken best gm 3 years running, you dont need deep but fun and interesting handouts work wonders!
I'm not exactly sure exactly when you think you got three consecutive victories in (the Best GMs as I recall them since 2009 were Adam, Ruaridh, Nicholas, me and you, and I think there were only two GTs before that) :P, but I will agree that the time I won, it was one of the most basic scenarios I've ever run.

All three of you are trying to escape an impending explosion, one of you is responsible. Find out who/don't get found out.

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

i was midst of a low blood sugar, i'm sure i had two best GMs and 3rd place 3 years running :lol:

you're marked by the players so making sure you keep the pace going; even glossing over confidently when you don't know the rule in question helps; Inquisitor is about having a good game rather'n a Win At All Costs affair!
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

mcjomar

Well, there's that.
The only time I think I did well was, sadly, at 28mm using some zombies and other crafted NPCs to run an investigation scenario as the intro using a single PC on his part (ganger/merc with a lasgun).

"There have been disturbances in the underhive, strange movements, and whispers of the undead. PDF reservists have gone missing. You have been sent to investigate the situation."

'braaaaaaaains'

(Don't worry, it does get a little more interesting later on in the scenario).

It helps that he enjoyed playing Necromunda, and I guess I got bonus points for rebooting the scenario when he got clobbered  - I waved it as unconscious rather than dead outright, and segued into the next bit so he could enjoy the game instead of feeling bad about getting klunked - he rebounded from it quite nicely, and (if there'd been a second session) set himself up for more story later on.

Van Helser

Just wondering if anyone is going to create a Facebook event? I can do one if needs be.

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

I intend to, but it would be best to have an up-to-date event pack for that!

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

One event pack coming up:

https://www.mediafire.com/?rxe6xgpr47b3aai

Let us know if you think it needs any changes Marco.

MarcoSkoll

It does need a few more tweaks. It's still got some 2015 dates in it, some things are a bit out of context or out of date (like talking about the format as newly updated or the stuff about WHW's former lack of adequate air conditioning) and Appendix 1 is still my contact details and last year's forum links.

Editing up last year's file and changing a bit of the blurb, I think this is probably closer:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/w70a4oye74l8s4s/IGT+2016+Event+Pack+V1.doc

... although if you want to add more contact details or something (such as any FB event page if we start one), feel free.

(Like last year, I've locked this to stop it being accidentally edited, but it's not password protected).

GW's =I= articles