Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

RobSkib's retrospective

Started by RobSkib, August 02, 2009, 01:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobSkib

So yeah, I'm Rob and I like bolt weapons and long romantic walks on the beach. Preferably both at the same time. For those that don't know me, I'm a regular lurker and I've been in the hobby for longer than I can remember.

I'm an avid collector, and I spend far too much money on Inquisitor. I've got a shed at the end of my garden which houses my models (some 80+ including friend's models!), gaming board and scenery. It's a tight squeeze, but it's served me well over the years. I'm always prowling ebay for Inquisitor stuff and potential 54mm conversion candidates, so if you're selling something cool, it's probably me bidding!

On the work bench at the moment is my Kroot who is almost finished, and is going to be the Chewbacca to my Inquisitor Xerxes' Han Solo and a handful of Imperial Citizens, converted from some cheap 54mm models I picked up off ebay.

First up is Eglin the child snatcher, who is accompanied by Gob (picture coming soon)

One of my Junkers, Max Rockatansky:

My Sister Censorum:

Admiral Lucile Ottoman, made from one of Steve Buddle's gorgeous minis:

Ex-bounty hunter Lance LeGault, from the Comanchero model from Pegaso:

Bibliothecary Kendel and his daemon master Meledandri:

Inquisitor Vanth and his daemonhost, Setesh:

Magos Biologis Lingus Quinne:

And many more to come, once I take some pictures, so watch this space!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Van Helser

Well they're all lovely in their own (sometimes freakish) way.  Is that an auspex in Vanth's hand, or some sort of bionic?

RobSkib

Yeah, it's a plastic SM auspex clasped in his metal gauntlets.
                                     +++++++

Hadriel Caine

Not sure I've seen all of these painted before actually, they look smashing, especially the child catcher guy- very grotesque, very Inquisitor.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

RobSkib

Well I've been a busy bunny since the previous 'Clave, and I've only just got around to taking snaps of what I've done.

First up is Gob, the child-snatcher's best buddy. I had only just finished building him before the previous site went down, so this is him in his full painted glory. Apologies for the dodgy light in these pictures, they don't show off the models in the best light (if you'll excuse the pun. Aha).

Continuing my Eolith theme; here's Gue'vasa Por'El Leonara, my human ambassador for the Tau. The huge symbol on her cloak was going to be a large Tau symbol declaring her allegiances, but the folds in the cape meant I didn't get to paint the whole thing. Ah well, I always have my Experimental Stealth Suit to paint up!

Now I'm not overly happy with the paint job on this fellow, I did have to rush it a bit to meet a deadline - I was painting it for my girlfriend's birthday present (which is why it says 'sarah' around the purity seal). I'm still quite pleased with how it turned out, as I've never tackled a 54mm space marine before.

And finally, another group of chaps you might remember from the old 'Clave - Red Team. I threw caution to the wind and decided to re-paint the whole model, rather than just the extra bits we stuck on, and the result was pretty darn good! The armour is literally Mechrite Red with a fairly heavy splish splash of Devlan Mud. We had a game with them before they were painted, and they had their arses handed to them, literally. I then bit the bullet and painted them all up, and in their next game they absolutely destroyed - I heartily recommend dual hand flamers!

+++++++

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: RobSkib on August 03, 2009, 04:15:31 PMAh well, I always have my Experimental Stealth Suit to paint up!
I hope it's better than the old joke about a "Frodo wearing the ring model" - a base on its own... *Groan*

I had some reservations about the Halo models when they were first proposed, most of which have been set aside now  - they actually look pretty decent. The helmets do still make them obvious, but with Slick's head instead, it's evident how much of them can remain without being too blatant.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Excellent work there Rob - I especially love the Gue'vesa ambassador, but the painting and converting is fantastic on all of them.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

steveb

Thanks for sharing. It's really nice to see the Eolith figs painted up. That's the first Frankie I've seen and the conversion really works on him.

The Halo figs have worked out really well too.

precinctomega

Rob's painting skills really do seem to be evolving in leaps and bounds!

Quotethey had their arses handed to them, literally

The mind boggles.  Did they all take crippling groin shots from behind before being patched up by a convenient Medic stitching their posteriors back into place?

R.

1337inquisitor

Very Very nice models but one thing strikes me as a bit odd. the hand flamers on the one red team guy seem a bit too big for a hand flamer.
No honey, the true moral of the story is never put down your weapon.

Homer Simpson

RobSkib

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 03, 2009, 05:22:16 PM
I hope it's better than the old joke about a "Frodo wearing the ring model" - a base on its own... *Groan*

No, no, it's much better than that, I splashed out on a FW Battlesuit recently.. I'm much too mean to my players!

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 03, 2009, 05:22:16 PM
I had some reservations about the Halo models when they were first proposed, most of which have been set aside now  - they actually look pretty decent. The helmets do still make them obvious, but with Slick's head instead, it's evident how much of them can remain without being too blatant.

Yeah so was I at first. These models belong to a friend who is an avid gamer, if a little lax in the modelling and painting department, so he provides me with his models and asks very nicely if I'll convert and paint them up for him. It just so happens that you can get all three models for £9, so he wasn't exactly going to shirk at the idea of getting a whole warband (sorry, retinue :P) for £3 a model...

Quote from: Kaled on August 03, 2009, 05:44:37 PM
Excellent work there Rob - I especially love the Gue'vesa ambassador, but the painting and converting is fantastic on all of them.

Thanks amigo - I wasn't too sure how she'd turn out after I realised that she would be all primary colours, and I'm a little disappointed that through my own foul planning I couldn't show off the Tau symbol on her back a bit more. Ho hum.

Quote from: precinctomega on August 04, 2009, 09:14:33 AM
The mind boggles.  Did they all take crippling groin shots from behind before being patched up by a convenient Medic stitching their posteriors back into place?

If you've seen the Futurama episode where they go to planet Amazonia and you see all the skeletons who have had 'death by Snoo-Snoo', then you'll get the right idea :'(

Quote from: 1337inquisitor on August 04, 2009, 09:41:56 AM
Very Very nice models but one thing strikes me as a bit odd. the hand flamers on the one red team guy seem a bit too big for a hand flamer.

Perhaps, but they're a little small to be actual flamers, and the fuel tank underneath each flamer looks about right for 4 shots. Plus he doesn't carry any reloads for them, so it all balances out quite nicely.
                                     +++++++

Dosdamt

The Halo figs look sick. I think if you'd have changed the other heads there wouldn't be any issue, they'd be ultra 40k. Awesome. I love the childcatcher too, and his mate. The Grey Knight is sick too. Awesome stuff.

-Ben
It is never too late! - Mentirius

http://thementalmarine.proboards.com/index.cgi <- The Mind, for all your irreverent nonsense needs

TheNephew

Incredible paintjobs - blind mown by the Admiral Lucile Ottoman and Eglin in particular.
I'm dead impressed with Magos Quinne as well - nice simple model, but the [respirator?] tube and colouring and blending on the raggedy rags make the model.
I was also initially unsure about the Red Team boys - I still think they're clearly too Halo, so I don't really like them.
The flamers are also a little overbalancing, I think.
The painting is again immaculate though, which could save them.

Inquisitor Cade

Very nice indeed. Favorites include the Tau emmisarry, the frankinstein monster, the admiral, the bounty hunter, the bibleothecary and the sister censorum.

QuotePerhaps, but they're a little small to be actual flamers, and the fuel tank underneath each flamer looks about right for 4 shots. Plus he doesn't carry any reloads for them, so it all balances out quite nicely.

You could cut out the foregrips and the segment of barrel directly above. and stick the rest of the barrels and muzzle to the main body.

What is the heavy flamer on the back of the double barreled lasgun* guy supposed to be?

*Yes I know Damien Bloodhound's gun is supposed to be a shotgun, but just look at it!
*Insert token witticism*

kierkegaard

Another great collection. I particularly like the Eolith models that you have converted.