Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

New Year, New Heresies

Started by RobSkib, January 14, 2016, 01:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobSkib

Hallo again, I'm back. This time for good.

I've been on a minor hiatus for whatever reason, but it didn't really work out, so now I'm back to Inquisitor and up to my codpiece in heresies great and small.

I've had a personal warband since I started playing in '06 and they've undergone a fair few changes since the beginning, but since playing GMing a fairly hefty Dark Heresy campaign over the past few years I've had a chance to actually explore what they get up to off the battlefield. In light of that, I wanted to take a few key figures that were more or less quest-givers to the PCs and give them a bit more permanence.

First up is Hecate Trellio, smuggler and tunnel-fighter. You might remember her from yesteryear when I posted up a WIP:

Well now she's got a lick of paint on her. It's the first time in almost two years I've applied paint to a 54mm model so there are still a fair few bits I want to straighten out. I want to re-do her scarf and the base isn't finished, but I'm generally pleased with her. Apologies for the generally awful pictures throughout - the only photos I can take are during winter nights, so hopefully I can get some better snaps of her over the weekend.

Next up is Interrogator Dune, the person whom my PCs spend most of their time working for. He sees himself better than those he works for, and is very happy to do a job himself if he feels others won't do it as well - I always see him as the Mike to my Inquisitor's Saul Goodman.

I used a Beneito model for the base (injured cavalryman I think?) and added some extra gubbinz. That's a Dark Eldar heavy weapon of some kind cut down to a carbine/pistol size, and I think his bracer is from Krashrak the Stalker, but with an additional blade and a fancy-shmancy paint job I'm trying to carry it off as a shimmer-shield. You can't hit what you can't see...

The little bugger blu-tacked to his base is a Ferrovore, a cyber-animal concocted in grey-area manufactorums and sold on the black market to those who aim to misbehave. It rolls up into a ball to keep it discrete, and the business end is filled with grinding, cutting teeth and acid jets. It is designed for precision sabotage and bypassing security systems.

Finally is probably my most extensive project - Proctor Martellus. Veteran Arbites riot control officer and student of ancient warfare - he wrote the book (literally) on best riot control practices in the Onus subsector. He lost both his legs in a fire and had them replaced with clunky bionics (easily the fiddliest conversion work I've ever done) so he's not a fast man, but he's damned-near unstoppable. They can clamp into the ground and render him immovable, so he can act as the strong centre-point in a line of Arbites riot officers.

He's still very WIP but you can see what I'm going for. I've got some brass aquilas on order so I'll be able to 40k him up a bit, and I'm still sketching up ideas for his helmet. I was thinking something like this to help emphasize the ancient Roman theme. His weapon is a heavy glow-stave, a military-grade modification of a tool used to hunt vermin in the sewers of Kreato. You can jab the pointy end into the ground to use it as a torch, or jab the blunt end into a crim's face and fry any sense of mischief they might have had.

Let me know your thoughts!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

seaglen

Absolutely wonderful characters - the Arbites is brilliant!

What are the knee pads from, the new Ogryn kit?

RobSkib

You're right. I saw the new Ogryn kits in a Games Workshop some many moons ago and picked up a box. I've had past experience with converting Ogryn-sized models to Inquisitor (Renegade Ogryns from Forgeworld are lovely) and with a bit of extension in the legs can fit right in!
                                     +++++++

Inquisitor Vale

Inquisitor Ollanius Sabbat Vale, Ordo Hereticus (Amalathian)

MarcoSkoll

As usual, Rob, your painting is excellent. I love the patterning on Hecate's scarf.

Looking at the other two, Kal's hairdo is very windblown as compared to the rest of Dune's model, so I'd suggest replacing or reposing it. For Martellus - the Ogryn models have fairly small craniums, so I think his head would look proportionally better if his helmet were somewhat larger, particularly around the back.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

Just great stuff here. I remember seeing your take on the Bella Donna model a ways back and being awestruck at the use of bitz/sculpting for the robot arm. It's incredibly simple but very effective attention to detail at each step. It's a real treat to see it painted. I have my own unmodified version of the model, seeing what you've done with it makes me really want to pick up another to convert!

There's nothing to do here but nitpick, so I'm going to. Hecate's color scheme seems a little too muted in the center. You have the hair and white arm that really pop, but the rest is so dull in comparison. I don't know if there'd be a good way to effectively make her pop (I'm admittedly not great when it come to color palettes) but maybe you can figure something out. It looks great regardless, and the way you've dirtied up the model strategically shows the same attention to detail that you have in the sculpting. I also love the pattern on the scarf, I've found that lines really have a great way of turning an otherwise boring surface into something with some real flourish (your execution is better than mine, but the same principal applies!).

Where'd the Ferrovore come from? Is it just a skeletal rat that you've teched-up? Either way, great piece. I'd like to grab one myself for my own rat pack. Again, to really nit-pick, I feel like the Dune's pistol is too large. It's almost suitable as a basic weapon. It'd be easy enough to cut down if you're so inclined. I may steal that model concept though. I'm looking for a mini to play the role of planetary governor and that one has a great flow to it. Any chance of a scale shot next to one of your other minis? I'd like someone who is physically imposing and just want to make sure he isn't short.

Nothing to say on Proctor, just great work. I have some Ogryn's sitting around who I've used bits and pieces from but this gives me some good thoughts on how to convert them effectively.

Great stuff! Keep it coming!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Alyster Wick on January 15, 2016, 01:05:02 AMAgain, to really nit-pick, I feel like the Dune's pistol is too large. It's almost suitable as a basic weapon.
Looks alright to me... ;D

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Aurelius

Don't change the scarf - that looks so good already! I reckon she just needs a spot colour centrally somewhere too... maybe change the padded flak vest part to a contrasting colour?
Now that I think about it, the robot arm is very Deus Ex - I can imagine it folding back into some kind of hidden gun or blade

RobSkib

Quote from: Inquisitor Vale
Cracking work.

Thanks! It's good to be back in the saddle.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll
Kal's hairdo is very windblown as compared to the rest of Dune's model, so I'd suggest replacing or reposing it.

Yeah I see what you mean. I always figured the coat would be very heavy and quite resistant to flapping. I really like Kal's head (and my last attempt at sculpting hair went a little wild...) so I'm hesitant to try and resculpt or replace it. I might add a few bits of flutter clutter to emphasise the wind a bit more though - a few purity seals or some kind of ceremonial cord...

Quote from: MarcoSkoll
I think his head would look proportionally better if his helmet were somewhat larger, particularly around the back.

I agree. It should bulk out more as I add the extra gubbinz - I'm not entirely settled on what the front should look like, but as I add the plume and rear flange, it should get to the right size. I figured it'd be easier to make it smaller than I needed and add more rather than make something too large and have to shave it down.

Quote from: Alyster Wick
...seeing what you've done with it makes me really want to pick up another to convert!

It's a joy to convert, the pose is very versatile. I've had some issues with the legs though - the sculpt is very fine, so it's often tricky to tell what is a bandage, a leg strap, a bit of padding on the leg, or any other combination of weirdness the sculptor felt necessary. My recommendation would be to decide what everything is going to be before you start painting.

but the rest is so dull in comparison

I think I over-did it with the muted palette, I've been painting lots of bright colours recently! I think I might have a plan, I'm going to do some gnarly yellow chevrons on the gun and highlight the flak vest a bit more.

Where'd the Ferrovore come from?

My bits box of No Return :P

I'm going to take a punt and say it was probably from Mantic Games, specifically their boxed skellies. I've never owned any, so I must have picked it up in my travels but I'm sure you could pick up a sprue with it from ebay. I did very little to make it a robo-rat, just the cables from a plastic servo skull and a length of guitar wire.

I feel like the Dune's pistol is too large.

I tried something smaller and I wasn't satisfied, to be quite honest. I've based him on a 40k version of Mike from Breaking Bad - a loyal, efficient, world-weary second-in-command who excels at problem solving. When I was kitbashing him, only a single large weapon looked good with the model, and I wanted something visually similar to this scene. To me, it's a weapon of war that fits under a coat, not a compact needler for personal protection. I have another Kal head, and I'm unfairly tempted to try and make a tooled-up Dune in his war paint...

this gives me some good thoughts on how to convert them effectively.

They just need some extra height in the legs and some extra length in the arms if you want to make them heavy-set humans. If you have them 'as is' they're just a bit the wrong scale to pass as anything but a high-gravity abhuman.
                                     +++++++

Lord Borak

Love the arbites model and the fluff. Cracking conversion. The girl merc came out nice as well - The bionic arm is really striking and reminds me a hell of a lot of the robots from I-Robot.

Alyster Wick

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on January 15, 2016, 01:17:40 AM
Quote from: Alyster Wick on January 15, 2016, 01:05:02 AMAgain, to really nit-pick, I feel like the Dune's pistol is too large. It's almost suitable as a basic weapon.
Looks alright to me... ;D

I see you scored a 1 on your "to Correct" roll  :P

Quote from: Aurelius on January 15, 2016, 02:29:55 AM
Don't change the scarf - that looks so good already! I reckon she just needs a spot colour centrally somewhere too... maybe change the padded flak vest part to a contrasting colour?
Now that I think about it, the robot arm is very Deus Ex - I can imagine it folding back into some kind of hidden gun or blade

To be clear, I also love the scarf and hope it doesn't change.

Quote from: RobSkib on January 15, 2016, 10:34:28 AM
but the rest is so dull in comparison

I think I over-did it with the muted palette, I've been painting lots of bright colours recently! I think I might have a plan, I'm going to do some gnarly yellow chevrons on the gun and highlight the flak vest a bit more.

That would be perfect I think. I was actually thinking chevrons on the fun but was then like, "no, there needs to be something in the center of the model" but the chevrons offsetting the arm and lightening the vest would do the trick quite well.

Quote from: RobSkib on January 15, 2016, 10:34:28 AM
I feel like the Dune's pistol is too large.

I tried something smaller and I wasn't satisfied, to be quite honest. I've based him on a 40k version of Mike from Breaking Bad - a loyal, efficient, world-weary second-in-command who excels at problem solving. When I was kitbashing him, only a single large weapon looked good with the model, and I wanted something visually similar to this scene. To me, it's a weapon of war that fits under a coat, not a compact needler for personal protection. I have another Kal head, and I'm unfairly tempted to try and make a tooled-up Dune in his war paint...

I meant to comment on your Mike comparison earlier. I think that's a fantastic idea, he's a great character to draw inspiration from. I can also see him as the type to club someone vigorously with him sidearm, so that makes sense. I'd love to see a version of him all kitted up with war paint as well (that could be an elegant solution to my own excess of Kal heads).

The real question is, who is the man in the fashionable hat producing the crystal blue stimms?

RobSkib

Quote from: Alyster Wick on January 15, 2016, 01:36:58 PM
The real question is, who is the man in the fashionable hat producing the crystal blue stimms?

Well damn, I was looking for a suitable name and colour scheme for my biochemist Magos warband I have 70% finished. I think you just found it :p
                                     +++++++

RobSkib

*cough cough*

I don't know why it took seven months to get around to this, but oh well!

and the plan is to paint it similar to this colour scheme...

+++++++

Aurelius

It's OK I guess.... :P   whoah now that is freaking cool! Love him, will look great in gold armour.

Heroka Vendile

he looks amazing Rob, is there a plan for an alternate left hand? or is it just not permanently attached yet?
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy