Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

New Year, New Heresies

Started by RobSkib, January 14, 2016, 01:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maglash1017

Looking great! I especcially love the skin tone, it looks very realistic. I myself liked the previous colour on the bionics better, but the way you painted that beaten-up brass colour is amazing. What was the process on that? One (tiny) thing I have to point out is that the red in her hair seems to be missing from the rest of the miniature, a reddish tint somewhere elkse (the leather maybe?) would tie the pallette together more I think.

Lord Borak

She is REALLY nice. The colours are clean and well done. Really liking the details on the base as well. I may have to steal that idea.

RobSkib

Quote from: maglash1017 on August 22, 2016, 01:49:05 PMWhat was the process on that?

All my painting processes are very simple because I loathe blending or wetwork, so it'll nearly always be colour > wash > highlight. I think in this case it was Warplock Bronze (Tin Bitz in old money) washed with black, then highlighted with Shining Gold on the extreme edges.

Quote from: maglash1017 on August 22, 2016, 01:49:05 PMOne (tiny) thing I have to point out is that the red in her hair seems to be missing from the rest of the miniature, a reddish tint somewhere elkse (the leather maybe?) would tie the pallette together more I think.

Gah you're right. That's the problem with changing the colours too many times, you lose track of the original palette! She does have a small amount of red on her fingernails, something I've actually forgotten to put back onto her new bionic. It's not much though, but I need to draw the line somewhere and finish the final model to the warband!  :P
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Van Helser

She certainly looks the business.  I quite liked the "clean" bionic - questions of where it came from could have acted as a plot hook.  That said, the bronze has a great antiquated look.  Perhaps the arm has been around since "Old Night" and has been scavenged from somewhere. 

Ruaridh

RobSkib

It's only taken 9 months but my Interrogator is finally complete.

The text on his jacket reads "quae erravit, vobis deesse", which is bastardised latin High Gothic for "You have strayed, and you have been found wanting". The fancy doo-hickey on his arm is an archeotech shimmer shield, good for not getting shot. There is also the issue of the splinter pistol being longer than the holster, it's supposed to poke out the bottom a bit like a lever-action rifle holster.

Finally the golden ratty. It's a homebrew cyber creature called a Ferrovore. The Techpriests of Forlorn Hope make them for a variety of uses, but access to them is highly restricted. They come in all manner of shapes and sizes, but their primary function is defeating security systems. They have grinding mouth parts coated with quick-acting acids and they can tunnel through solid plasteel like it was loose sand, and chewing through any mechanical locks in seconds. They also have a level of limited autonomy, and with correct instructions can squirrel away deep into a security system and cut wires, smash fuses and generally make a nuisance for heavily entrenched heretics. They're also fully portable, able to roll up into a tiny ball or pouch for discreet transportation, and powered entirely by breaking down the elements they consume. The perfect tool for discrete heretic-busting!
                                     +++++++

maglash1017

Wow. I take my hat off to you sir. The model was already fantastic but the paintjob made me fall in love with it! Your highlights look so smooth it's hard to believe there was no blending involved and the colour scheme is very effective as well. I'm looking forward to your future 54mm endeavours.

Lord Borak

The face and blue are simply phenomenal mate.

KaptiDavy

Van Helser

He looks great.  Is the skin done with lots of feathery brush strokes?  It seems to add a weather beaten look which really works here.  The purple on the shimmer shield is another great touch.

Ruaridh

Radu Lykan

Very nice, he looks pretty determined to get where he's going, very purposeful

Legio Destructor

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

full of Inq atmosphere!

mcjomar

Fantastic piece of work.
I can see a few of the parts already, but I have trouble recognising the rest, and I'm sure a good amount of gs work was involved.
Wonderful painting also. ;D
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

RobSkib

Thank you all so much guys for your kind words, I honestly didn't expect this kind of reception for my least favourite project! I'm sure there's some life lesson to be learned here, but to heck with it, on with the replies.

Quote from: mcjomar on October 03, 2016, 01:52:24 PMI can see a few of the parts already, but I have trouble recognising the rest, and I'm sure a good amount of gs work was involved.

Thanks! Out of all three, this involved the least amount of modelling work actually! You can see the original here, and the base is a Beneito Imperial Officer with Jericho's head and some other gubbinz glued on. What are you trying to place?

Quote from: Legio Destructor on October 03, 2016, 01:44:29 PMA-M-A-Z-I-N-G
full of Inq atmosphere!

Thank you! I was really uninspired by the model when I first put the first few colours on, basing the scheme on an Imperial Navy officer (this one, actually) but it sat gathering dust for about five months whilst I built up the motivation to finish him. Deciding late one night to try my luck at freehanding an entire Imperial Eagle was perhaps not the best for my sanity, but it certainly got it finished!

Quote from: Radu Lykan on October 03, 2016, 01:27:25 PM
Very nice, he looks pretty determined to get where he's going, very purposeful

I think so too, although I can't take much credit for that, the pose is already very sinister and I didn't do much to edit it. Hats off to Beneito! I can certainly see some more of my pocket money disappearing into their site again before Christmas...

Quote from: Van Helser on October 03, 2016, 11:08:50 AM
He looks great.  Is the skin done with lots of feathery brush strokes?  It seems to add a weather beaten look which really works here.  The purple on the shimmer shield is another great touch.

Cheers :) It's actually the work of a few broken scalpel bits and nail files. He had been described in our Dark Heresy games as having a face 'criss-crossed' with scars, so I knew I had to go to town on him. It was much easier to follow the lines I had carved than it would have been to paint them on by hand.

Quote from: KaptiDavy on October 02, 2016, 08:33:09 PMAnd the boots too!

Thanks, although I pinched the technique from Kaled and Kierkegaard (sp?). I always had trouble painting black, everything ended up a mucky grey colour, and when I saw their clean lines I knew that's what I needed to do. A very soft, dark blue around most of the upper areas, lips and ridges, then a striking light blue/practically white highlight on the most extreme areas where the light would catch.

Quote from: Lord Borak on October 02, 2016, 06:39:14 PMThe face and blue are simply phenomenal mate.

Thanks! A lot of your stuff inspired me to get mine finished actually. I'd like to say the blue looks better in person, but in reality I'm just getting much better at taking photographs ;)

Quote from: maglash1017 on October 02, 2016, 05:03:06 PMYour highlights look so smooth it's hard to believe there was no blending involved

Ahh, I wish I could agree. There was a lot of wet blending that happened here, something I am utterly loathe to do as I never mix enough paint. Luckily I think I hid the worst of it behind some clever camera tricks...

Quote from: maglash1017 on October 02, 2016, 05:03:06 PMI'm looking forward to your future 54mm endeavours.

Well watch this space! I consider this warband complete now, I give my own personal warband a spruce up every 2-3 years so they're fine for a bit now. I do have quite a large Adeptus Mechanicus warband on my desk now, where pictures will be coming very very soon. The biggest issue I have with Adeptus Mechanicus warbands is that once you start servitorising old models and adding silly weaponry to them, it's difficult to know when to stop....

+++++++

mcjomar

Ahh - I actually assumed this was a new combination of parts with GS over the top, rather than from another line.
Perhaps I should have noticed, as I have looked at that benito model recently.

I assumed it was:
Kal's head
RT's legs (bent and modified)
RTs torso
GS coat/cloak over the top with paperclip mesh/guides
Imperial Guard left arm, with  Slick bracer, and guard left hand
Imperial guard right arm (possibly Jaxon) bent out, with stubber right hand grip, and eldar shuriken catapult on top of pistol grip
unknown holster(possible borrowed from slick)
And then some GS work over the top to smooth it all out, provide straps, etc.
With unknown bits for the animal.

But I wasn't sure of the above list.

Talk about being miles off base I guess!
Much simpler to use your method over mine.

I've been trying to find 54mm scale parts to allow me to recreate/reimagine some of the characters I've created in The Secret World mmo, for use in 54mm =][= gaming, as I cannot currently see a way to extract the specific 3d models of my own characters as I have designed them from that game.
I've found a few models from a line I'd previously not discovered, which when I get round to acquiring them I'll post up here for suggestions on conversion (assuming I don't come up with any good ideas on my own off the bat).

I've yet to try wet blending myself, although I have aqcuired a cheap wet palette to begin trying it out. I'm very impressed with the methods you've used, especially the work on the black and light brown, as well as the waistcoat work.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Heroka Vendile

damn Rob, just lovely. You're on fire lately with these three.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy