Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Community Sculpting Project

Started by greenstuff_gav, January 20, 2016, 06:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

EDIT

how's this sound?

Each member picks one of the following character archtypes; there is no limit to the detail / style or miniature, posting which they'd like to tackle.
After the IGT all entrys will be "locked in"; any submissions / requests after that cut off won't be eligable for the trade but are welcome to sculpt along!

This point we will know how many particiants we will have and each participant will need to provide this many copies (resin or otherwise) of their final sculpt to me by October 31st.

people are encoraged to post WIPs of their sculpts as they take shape; i plan on trying to learn how to sculpt decent faces :)
i may reach out to anyone good with a pencil to do us some illustrations of each entry, possibly even commission someone to do these; thinking it'd be nifty and could allow someone not wanting to sculpt to partake!

I'll then sort and ship each participant 1 of each sculpt submitted and get parcels weighed up for redistribution so i can be paypal'ed the cost of shipping to send the collections out!

The Crusader (Inquisitor) - Cortez
The Scolar (Inquisitor)
The Savant (Mechanicus)
The Explorator (Mechanicus) - Greenstuff_Gav
The Warrior (Veteran) - Alyster Wick
The Brute (Veteran)
The Renegade
The Possessed (Daemonhost) - Lord Borak
The Merchant (Rogue Trader) - Van Helser
The Machine (Arcoflagellant)

OLD POST:
so, to save Boraks' highly informative thread, Radu Lykan proposed anyone wanting to take part sculpts a figure (or conversion pack) and casts it (i'm sure some of us can offer help for those not willing to cast); each person provides a cast for each other person taking part so everyone gets a set of figures

i like this idea and propse we do a set, a sort of "High Lords of Carthax"; each participant does a figure to represent one of a conclave thought up by the community; we all throw ideas for characters together then each pick whom we'd like to try and make :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

I'd say it's definitely worth co-ordinating* - just in case we end up with five people who all plan to do a death cult assassin or something.

One thought would be to take a new look at all the rulebook archetypes and produce new concepts off those loose starting points. The IG veteran could be done as on the tin, or maybe reinterpreted into some other militant character - a ship's marine (no, not a Space Marine) or something.
Alternatively/additionally, perhaps things we thought the original range missed - we never really got a studious savant, for example.

~~~~~

*Although I'd have to ask exactly how much we're planning on co-ordinating. I'm not a fan of working in heroic proportion, so unless we reach a consensus otherwise, I'm going to working in the (fairly) standard artist's proportion I normally use - which won't be compatible with the chunky builds of GW's 54mm range. (Although I do find that GW's 28mm weapons and accessories scale very well with minor conversion).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

I think, regarding scales, we need not ve too stringant; with the variety of sizes across gws 54mm and the dofferent manufacturers some leeway wouldnt be a problem :)

Different characters for the archtypes could be cool; how does inq2 layout sample characters?

Build Your Imagination

Cortez

I like this idea and would definitely be willing to get involved. I like Marco's idea of using archetypes from the rulebook and updating them and I definitely think a range of easily accessible models would help newcomers to the game get hold of appropriate models.

Regarding scales, I've never found a problem with mixing gw heroics with more realistic models in Inquisitor.

How many models are we looking at doing?

Lord Borak

I was planning on sculpting a Plasma Pistol (send ED style) and maybe a Chain sword. I was also planning on making this chap....

Or something like him anyway. So that could be the Guardsman style character.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on January 21, 2016, 08:40:39 AMDifferent characters for the archtypes could be cool; how does inq2 layout sample characters?
I haven't yet looked at sample characters for the Revised edition; the core mechanics are higher priority (and kind of a prerequisite) and I'm rather assuming that the project isn't likely to take over from the LRB*, so I'm not (yet) handling it as a fully complete system.

* Homebrew rules often stay that way, which is why I'm aiming for high backwards-compatibility (and, where possible, modularity). Character sheets should need minimal work to be adapted between editions, so those groups that want to will be able to use the IRE even if it doesn't take off at bigger gatherings.

I guess that if I did reach the point I was approaching having a complete rulebook in its own right, I'd head back to the original archetypes and probably polish up the original sample characters, although I wouldn't rule out changing or adding to the list.

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

Quote from: Lord Borak on January 21, 2016, 08:29:58 PM
I was planning on sculpting a Plasma Pistol (send ED style) and maybe a Chain sword. I was also planning on making this chap....

Or something like him anyway. So that could be the Guardsman style character.

I always loved that piece of artwork. It would be great to see someone do a good job with that guardsman - my own conversion from 6 years or so back is looking pretty average now:

Ruaridh

Alyster Wick

I'm definitely interested in this! As a suggestion, perhaps we could go with an overall theme (say, Agents of the Inquisition), then list out our project archetype, gender, and a loose list of wargear (to ensure variety on both fronts). I'm getting ideas for my character and I'm pretty excited...

As a logistical point, it'd be great if I could just send my entire payload to a single address in the UK that'd be great. Ideally I could complete my project before an you all are holding over there and whoever I ship my stuff to could distribute it in person. Likewise, if someone is willing to send a single package to me from the UK folks could just send two sets of their models in to that individual and they could send the entire shipment to me to save everyone some cash on postage (I'd definitely be willing to reimburse that person the cost of shipping). Probably putting the cart before the horse here, but that could save everyone some aggravation. On that note, if multiple folks in the US want to participate in this project then I'm more than happy to be the US shipping hub (both sending and receiving).

Alyster Wick

DOUBLE POSTING ALERT!!!

I don't know at what point this may or may not move to the P&M thread, but I'm developing my character concept and wanted some feedback. The character will be a deep infiltrator who scared himself horribly to pass as a mutant. He'll also have some kind of holo-projector-collar for quick face-swaps as needed. I'd like to have three alternate faces:

- Actual Face: Horribly burned and cut, missing half the mouth and the nose

- Genteel Face: His normal face, but with a Phantom of the Opera-esque mask covering it (he does still appear in polite society from time to time)

- Disguise Face: I was considering something totally alien, possibly bestial, but I question the utility of a disguise like that. It's meant not to pass close inspection, but just to disappear into the crowd (though if it's just affecting his face the utility of this ability would be kind of compromised). Regardless, that isn't important, what is important is I'm planning three heads!

He'd be wearing heavy flak armor/robes. I picture lots of material he can use to hide weapons and obscure his body type. Definitely big boots, and one or two shoulder pads (asymmetrical, naturally).

For weapons, I'm thinking a sturdy pistol, chunky shotgun/rifle, and some kind of chain weapon (jury is out on this).

This will be quite challenging, but that's the fun! Chainweapon is the most likely to be dropped, as I've been reading about Borak's challenges casting up his most recent creation.

Lord Borak

Quote from: Van Helser on January 23, 2016, 06:41:00 PM
my own conversion from 6 years or so back is looking pretty average now:

Great minds think alike and all that.  ;) Nice conversion, where did the head come from?

Alyster,
Nice ideas. Although the fact that the guy has a mask that updates his facial features and then went so far as to disfigure himself seems a little off. Why not just use the tech in the first place and leave his face alone? Have you thought about giving him a knock-off version of the polymorph drug the Calidus uses? Being black market would probably mean there's some serious side effects going on though.  Might be cool for background purposes though.

=][=

Right, back to the topic of casting stuff up. What are peoples thoughts on this? Do people want to sculpt things from 'scratch' or do people want to cast some of the originals up? I don't mind casting some originals up but my collection is fairly limited at the moment. Maybe we could get a list of what people want or are missing for people to fill those gaps?

As for sculpting. What do people want? Do they want parts? More heads for example? If so, I can try my hand at some heads but I've only ever sculpted one face before and that wasn't a great success. Do you want multipart stuff or is a one part model OK? Male/female?

Van Helser

Quote from: Lord Borak on January 31, 2016, 09:31:08 AM
Quote from: Van Helser on January 23, 2016, 06:41:00 PM
my own conversion from 6 years or so back is looking pretty average now:

Great minds think alike and all that.  ;) Nice conversion, where did the head come from?

It was sculpted. One of the best helmets I've ever managed.

As for what to cast, I was under the impression it was for new sculpts, though Gav did have plans to recast the whole range by himself, and had accrued the vast majority of it.

I am busy with getting my Xanthite and Chaos stuff done so I can put the finished sourcebook together, so I know I won't be making anything till the summer probably. I guess there's not really a rush though?

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Lord Borak on January 31, 2016, 09:31:08 AMI can try my hand at some heads but I've only ever sculpted one face before and that wasn't a great success.
I know I've been promising a sculpting tutorial for a while, so I can probably help if people are having difficulty with faces.

QuoteDo you want multipart stuff or is a one part model OK? Male/female?
I'd say that probably depends on the design of the model. If it's got its arms crossed over its chest, then you'd probably want to do that as multiple parts so not everyone had to either go with that or attempt a complicated dissection. (I speak from more than a little experience of cutting rifles away from bodies)

Quote from: Alyster Wick on January 29, 2016, 06:00:37 PMAs a logistical point, it'd be great if I could just send my entire payload to a single address in the UK that'd be great.
Actually, depending on how many people get involved, that might be a smart move in general.

If we pick one person to act as a hub, send all the models to them, they sort everything out and send one set to everyone, that would mean that everyone was just paying for two packages (sending one and receiving one) rather than one package to however many people get involved.

The hub would effectively get free postage (I'm taking it that we'd Paypal them for the return postage, so they wouldn't have to pay to either send or receive anything), but that isn't exactly unfair given they'd be doing most of the logistics.

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

Ill take it on; will put together a post how id like it run when i get home!

Build Your Imagination

greenstuff_gav

how's this sound?

Each member picks one of the following character archtypes; there is no limit to the detail / style or miniature, posting which they'd like to tackle.
After the IGT all entrys will be "locked in"; any submissions / requests after that cut off won't be eligable for the trade but are welcome to sculpt along!

This point we will know how many particiants we will have and each participant will need to provide this many copies (resin or otherwise) of their final sculpt to me by October 31st.

people are encoraged to post WIPs of their sculpts as they take shape; i plan on trying to learn how to sculpt decent faces :)
i may reach out to anyone good with a pencil to do us some illustrations of each entry, possibly even commission someone to do these; thinking it'd be nifty and could allow someone not wanting to sculpt to partake!

I'll then sort and ship each participant 1 of each sculpt submitted and get parcels weighed up for redistribution so i can be paypal'ed the cost of shipping to send the collections out!

The Crusader (Inquisitor)
The Scolar (Inquisitor)
The Savant (Mechanicus)
The Explorator (Mechanicus) - Greenstuff_Gav - Magos Stein
The Warrior (Veteran)
The Brute (Veteran)
The Renegade
The Possessed (Daemonhost)
The Merchant (Rogue Trader)
The Machine (Arcoflagellant)

Build Your Imagination

Van Helser

I can get with that.

The Merchant would be my pick.

Ruaridh