Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Community Sculpting Project

Started by greenstuff_gav, January 20, 2016, 06:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez

I'll take the Crusader archetype. Not sure how I'll do distribution though as it'll be 3D sculpted on a computer.

greenstuff_gav

i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Cortez

It's easy to print using Shapeways. Just not cheap :(

greenstuff_gav

what sorta cost we talking? worth 10 figures? the plan is that each person reproduces their mini so everyone gets one; should theoretically all spend the same!
i'll do some maths on how much it'd cost to cast a dozen miniatures; i'm sure Borak'd have hte numbers to hand

as i recall Liwet was cast by Grey Matter and worked out at about £80 for ten

Build Your Imagination

Cortez

I'd say about twice that depending on the sculpt. The tech adept costs about £17, the girl with sword £11 (http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2399.msg32441#msg32441). I could try casting them myself from a print I suppose (although I've no idea how well they will cast).

Lord Borak

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on February 02, 2016, 10:11:23 PM
i'm sure Borak'd have hte numbers to hand

Oooooh, now you're asking. I wasn't exactly keeping track of my costs Vs casts. I had to many failures early on to make it worth while. Now though, yeah, it's a bit better but only on the simpler models. The arbite I'm trying to cast up now is a complete git. I've done 6 versions and haven't got a single one that's perfect. I've got 4 'useable' ones with only a few air bubbles in but nothing my perfectionist mind would be able to deal with.

I'm currently casting up the Alien Bounty Hunter up so I'll see how he goes. Anyone need one of him? It wont have all his gubbinz, just his head, arms, body and legs.

EDIT:
Just out of curiosity, I have these figures. If anyone would like parts/casts done of these I'm more that willing to do them.

Eisenhorn,
Artemis with Helmet (that's a big project though)
Kal Jerico,
MAjor Jacxon,
Dorian Black,
Toothpick Murke,
Talon,
Sevora,
Covenant,
Grus (getting him soon)
Sgt Stone (getting him soon)
Barbaretta with Lucretia bits
Malicant,
Josef (getting him soon)
Simeon,
Slick Devlan with Bloodhound bits (Minus head)
Krashrak
Yan Van Yastobaal (or most of him anyway)

Wow, it's actually scary how many models I actually own.

MarcoSkoll

I'd suggest this was kept to just things specifically sculpted for the project. It keeps everything by the book and means we've got a clear objective where everyone is advancing their skills and working towards something new.

As for what category I go with, I'm open to most of what's left*. What would people like to see me do?

* Although I'm not sure how broad a category Renegade is supposed to represent. Assassins? Gunslingers? Cultists? Traitorous ex-Inquisitors?
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 03, 2016, 02:21:24 AM
I'd suggest this was kept to just things specifically sculpted for the project. It keeps everything by the book and means we've got a clear objective where everyone is advancing their skills and working towards something new.

I agree. While it'd be great to get some rare parts, I am much more interested in the prospect of everyone sharing in the process (and spoils of) creating something brand new. It could be a great kickstart to the hobby. I'm by no means a huge forum lurker, but I definitely peruse a few different miniatures forums and I can't remember seeing a group undertake something like this (again, I could be totally wrong here).

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 03, 2016, 02:21:24 AM

Although I'm not sure how broad a category Renegade is supposed to represent. Assassins? Gunslingers? Cultists? Traitorous ex-Inquisitors?

I was wondering the same thing myself. There's no broader archetype accompanying it so it does tend to send my mind wandering.

In conclusion, I'll call dibs on The Warrior (though if someone really had their heart set I could reappraise).

Lord Borak

That's fine. The offer is still there though as I'll be casting up spares for myself given time.

I'll go for the Possessed by the way. I like sculpting gribbly things.

greenstuff_gav

The theory on renegade was anysuotable concept.. guardsman, cultist or worse!

Cortez, Spartan rapid prototype a master then mould and cast in resin.. just a tiny bit of shrinkage when you do :)

Build Your Imagination

Lord Borak

Out of Curiosity, what sort of possessed do people want? Bound? Unbound? Gribbly thing. Possessed Marine maybe? Generic daemon or perhaps one afiliate with one of the gods?

Alyster Wick

Quote from: Lord Borak on February 03, 2016, 09:26:47 AM
That's fine. The offer is still there though as I'll be casting up spares for myself given time.

I be very clear, you should be all means continue to do your good work in regards to casting spares :)

Quote from: Lord Borak on February 04, 2016, 10:57:40 PM
Out of Curiosity, what sort of possessed do people want? Bound? Unbound? Gribbly thing. Possessed Marine maybe? Generic daemon or perhaps one afiliate with one of the gods?

I feel like we have plenty of floating possessed out there, an earthbound one would be interesting. The character of Onyx from Dead Sky, Black Sun was always interesting to me. As a daemonhost, his body acted in a more symbiotic way (similar to how one would imagine a possessed CSM to be based on the 40K ruleset as opposed to the Exorcist style possessions more commonly depicted). Something along those lines, only just human scale (to be clear, as awesome as a possessed CSM would be that may be a bit excessive) could be interesting and could work interchangeably with existing models.

Just my two cents, feel free to disregard.

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Lord Borak on February 04, 2016, 10:57:40 PM
Generic daemon or perhaps one afiliate with one of the gods?
or all of the above, just submit one for the project ;)

Build Your Imagination

Lord Borak

Right, I have two ideas in regards to possessed.

Idea 1:
Basically, the daemon from Pans Labyrinth. Eyeless daemon-bloke with his eyes in the palms of his hands. This one should be fairly simple.

Idea 2:
This is a LOT more adventurous and a lot more scary. The idea was to have a very messed up daemon spawn-thing (think the thing) with a little girl (with dress) as it's 'head' - as if the daemon has sprouted out the back of her head/body. It's a bit hard to explain but basically a gribbly daemon using a girl as a 'face mask'.

Obviously  Idea 1 is a bit more generic and useful in peoples warbands where as the girl-daemon is a bit more of a'big bad'. So, what should I go with? Or, at least, what should I go with first?

Raghnall

Quote from: Lord Borak on February 05, 2016, 11:04:35 AM
Obviously  Idea 1 is a bit more generic and useful in peoples warbands where as the girl-daemon is a bit more of a'big bad'. So, what should I go with? Or, at least, what should I go with first?
I really like the sound of idea 2. It might be challenging, but I'm sure you can pull it off. The general idea seems more different, and just like the sort of horrible twisted monster that a more feral daemon should resemble.

Regarding the renegade character, may I put forward the suggestion of a techno-sorcerer utilising a Sarcosan Wave Generator. An ancient, malignant, perverted, brilliant intellect, cloaked in long dead and rotting flesh kept mobile by foul pacts and arcane devices, callously moving from one fallen champion to the next, preserving their skill and binding it into service. Unfortunately, I have never even attempted sculpting before and am busy with exams through to June, so it's unlikely I would be able to fit in any practice in time to help with this, and it's well beyond my abilities. Anyone with greater skills than me can feel free to ignore it, or use the idea themselves, but I would be interested in seeing what other people do with this concept.